I am a Sweetaholic

Options
What can I do to stop my obsession with sweets?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love sweets too, so I make sure I have some in moderation each day. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Work a portion into your calorie and macro goals in moderation. I have something sweet every night, but even if you only go with it every 1-2 weeks you may feel satiated. Cutting them out cold turkey can lead to binging for some people, so moderation is key.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I cut them out completely except for treat days and special occasions. I cannot have sweets in the house. If I have a package of cookies, for example, i will eat 1/2 the package at one sitting, I cannot have just one or two and then stop. This is what has derailed me in the past when on maintenance. I need to learn how to eat them in moderation. Maybe logging everything, including sweets will help me this time. I intend to start adding them back into my diet after I've lost a bit more. No cravings yet so I am not feeling deprived. Wondering how others handle this.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    katherine_startrek_fan Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I think the most important step is to reduce the amount of sweets you eat daily so that you get a better sweet fix when you do eat sweets.

A great way to start is to drink only/primarily water for several weeks to help your body readjust.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I am too. I stopped eating them for a while. Then I realized that I had two options... either not have them anymore because I'd binge on them, or just have a little... I decided to have a little because the alternative just sucked, and I learned moderation.

I still have sweets every day and I've lost 80 pounds.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Eat them in moderation. I don't spend my calories on things I don't like eating (e.g. most fruits, I'd rather use those calories on chocolate)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A great way to start is to drink only/primarily water for several weeks to help your body readjust.

Why will giving up coffee/tea affect my desire for sweets?

I drink it black.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    sweets are awesome

I'm eating a lot of jello pudding right now

people always have the dumbest advice for this topic...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    OP, it really depends on the details. What do you mean by "obsession" with sweets? Assuming you overeat them, where and in what context?

I tend to overeat sweet things (not only sweet things) when I let myself get into a habit of using them for emotional purposes/stress when at work, so for me it's extremely helpful not to snack during the day and in particular not to let myself snack on sweet things at work and NEVER for emotional purposes. It is not an issue to have a little something sweet after dinner when I have the extra calories, as I don't overeat in that context or at home, generally, and often looking forward to that makes it easier to not feel like I'm missing something if everyone else has cookies in the break room or some such (my office is filled with sweets constantly).

Also, I find that if I take my calorie goal seriously and fill up my diet with other sorts of foods--nutrient dense foods like veggies, sufficient fat, a good amount of protein at each meal--that I feel satisfied and don't want to eat outside of meals. So if I find myself wanting something extra in the middle of the day I can see if it will fit in my calories and if not decide to fit it into my calories some other time or not. I think you just have to tell yourself that you will meet your calories (assuming they are at a reasonable level for you) and you will adjust after a few days.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I cut them out completely except for treat days and special occasions. I cannot have sweets in the house. If I have a package of cookies, for example, i will eat 1/2 the package at one sitting, I cannot have just one or two and then stop. This is what has derailed me in the past when on maintenance. I need to learn how to eat them in moderation. Maybe logging everything, including sweets will help me this time. I intend to start adding them back into my diet after I've lost a bit more. No cravings yet so I am not feeling deprived. Wondering how others handle this.

The bold part has been key for me- moderation for me is the same as logging everything I eat. For years, I couldn't keep snack foods in the house, including cookies, ice cream, chips, nuts, etc., but when I started weighing my food and logging what I eat, I learned how to moderate all foods. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

Like what?

• FitForL1fe
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Like what?

waiting for more suggestions to abstain, they will come...
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't have much of a sweet tooth (aside from dark chocolate) so I don't have any personal advice. I would suggest that you choose your sweets carefuly, what is the sweet source (what type of sugar). When I buy items I look to avoid high fructose corn syrup such as when I buy jelly or similar. There is some preliminary research that indicates that fructose and glucose, although extremely similar in chemical structure, cause a different effect in the brain. This is not "proven" but there are enough indications that I believe further studies are being done to see if this effect continues outside of the lab. I read about one this morning in C&E news. I'm inept at linking an article while I'm on the phone. A search of fructose fuels appetite should lead you to articles about these studies. Good luck. You can find a healthy balance.
  • SLLRunner
    edited May 2015
    Options

Like what?

Well, as to cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. abstinence might be the answer for some people. For me? Nope! :D:dizzy:
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

Like what?

If she over eat them, this will cause her calories to go up, limiting her goals.... If she cut them out, this will lower her calorie intake and help her hit her goals better.........

I'd wager abstinence will lead to episodes of binging as easily as if not moreso than just trying to eat sweets in moderation
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    katherine_startrek_fan Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I drink it black.

Because you're neutralizing your palette. Also, for some people, a certain beverages can signal food cravings, like if you typically have a pastry with your coffee or dessert with your tea.

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This might be a bit much for you, but i have designated 2 days a year when I can just totally pig out on sugar. I haven't started my sugar free diet yet, so I haven't started this, but it will work for me. I am already good about sugar, but could be better.

Try eating sugar free sweets and just have a small portion every day or every other day. One of my friends gave me a thing of starburst once and I just ate two every day and still lost weight!
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options

I drink it black.

Because you're neutralizing your palette. Also, for some people, a certain beverages can signal food cravings, like if you typically have a pastry with your coffee or dessert with your tea.

Lots of people don't. I don't. I have breakfast (savory) or nothing with my coffee/tea.

I don't get the palate thing. It just doesn't make sense.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    liahna wrote: »
    This might be a bit much for you, but i have designated 2 days a year when I can just totally pig out on sugar. I haven't started my sugar free diet yet, so I haven't started this, but it will work for me. I am already good about sugar, but could be better.

Try eating sugar free sweets and just have a small portion every day or every other day. One of my friends gave me a thing of starburst once and I just ate two every day and still lost weight!

I don't understand your logic here.

Why would you want to pig out on sugar only two days a year? Why not just have it in moderation whenever you want?

I disagree with trying to eat sugar free sweets, and they do have sugar in them still- usually fruit sugar.

The reason you lost weight eating just two startburst every day is because you were eating below your calorie goals.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I drink it black.

Are you seriously suggesting someone give up both sugar and caffeine at the same time?

That's just... a recipe for making someone feel really awful.

There's no need to do that. None.

You can "neutralize your palette" just by eliminating sugar for a few weeks. I've even done it while using artificial sweetener in my tea.

A good test I tell people to use to see if they've reset themselves is to taste a raw almond. Does it taste sweet? You've reset your "sweet sensitivity".

Add sugar back to your life in moderation.