5am wake up, want a second breakfast

Options
I wake up at 5 am every weekday and eat breakfast with hubby before he goes to work. Then I make breakfast round two with the kids around 7 (I don't eat with them). I find by 9 I want a second breakfast. I was thinking about skipping breakfast with hubs and eat later around 9 to curb this need for a second breakfast.
I've heard you should eat right when you wake up for your metabolism. Is this true? Any tips for a long morning?

Replies

• owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've read that it makes no difference if you eat breakfast or not. If you feel like you need to eat breakfast, then do it. If you want another mid-morning breakfast, then fine. Just add it in to your calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism runs 24/7, no matter when you eat
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating with your kids instead of your hubby and see if that helps you to make it to lunch, or have a small snack around 9 to help get you to lunch.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've heard that drinking a glass of water first thing will kickstart things for the day. IDK. I always eat breakfast "when my stomach wakes up," which means when I start feeling hungry, which is usually later in the morning ( I am self employed and have the luxury of eating breakfast whenever I want).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Breakfast makes no difference in terms of metabolism. You do not need to "wake up" your metabolism.

Why not split breakfast calories in two? Have breakfast with hubby (but half the amount) and then have the rest at 9?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Are you meeting your weight goals?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any conclusive evidence you need to eat immediately after waking. It's better to space your calories in a way which helps you to stay satiated, with good energy levels, and allows you to still enjoy the social aspect of eating with others if that's important to you.

If I was you, I'd probably have coffee with the husband at 5am, then probably breakfast with the kids at 7am. Otherwise I'd be so hungry I'd be ready to hunt and kill wildlife to eat raw by 9-10am.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Could you just have a cup of coffee or tea with the husband and then eat later with the kids? On days I wake up early (stupid whiny dog) I postpone breakfast a little with a big cup of coffee made bigger with unsweetened almond milk!
    Your metabolism is always going. The reason for eating breakfast is, IN SOME PEOPLE, skipping it may lead to make worse food choices later in the day (quantity). Eating breakfast for me, means I don't want to eat an entire elephant at lunch and then go over my calories in no time. I like them spread out evenly throughout the day. Again this isn't for everyone. Some people can stick to their calories and only eat 1-2 meals a day. That is NOT me though.
    And I think (notice think) that some people confuse metabolism and hunger. Just because you are hungry doesn't mean your metabolism has tanked. You're always burning calories, 24/7. When you "fill up your gas tank" is up to you.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I've heard that drinking a glass of water first thing will kickstart things for the day. IDK. I always eat breakfast "when my stomach wakes up," which means when I start feeling hungry, which is usually later in the morning ( I am self employed and have the luxury of eating breakfast whenever I want).

Im a stay at home mom so I can eat whenever I want as well. The downside to it is i find there's so much more temptation at home. I start to get super tired and hungry around 2-3 as well. If I eat too much in the morning I find I use up too many calories and dinner is my favourite meal. I'd rather spend the calories on that. I just have two slumps, 9am and 3pm... Very tempting to devour everything at those times.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast followed by second breakfast sometimes, on days when -- like you do -- I've woken up super early. If I'm up at 4 I'll have a small breakfast (~175kcals) around 6, then have another small breakfast/snack (~150kcals) around 10. As long as the calories fit in your day there's nothing wrong with it.
  • jessica22222
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I don't think there's any conclusive evidence you need to eat immediately after waking. It's better to space your calories in a way which helps you to stay satiated, with good energy levels, and allows you to still enjoy the social aspect of eating with others if that's important to you.

If I was you, I'd probably have coffee with the husband at 5am, then probably breakfast with the kids at 7am.

Otherwise I'd be so hungry I'd be ready to hunt and kill wildlife to eat raw by 9-10am.
    Lol ^ this is so me! Good suggestion

• jessica22222
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Are you meeting your weight goals?

I've just started tracking about a week ago and I've lost a lb so I'm sure it's going down. Can't be sure though it's still early in the game.
  • get_it2013
    get_it2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Theee things: your body needs fat and protein in the morning. I saw a diagram that shows a healthy breakdown of calorie consumption throughout the day with the bulk in the morning, and the lesser amount at night. When I do this, I am less hungry later...usually. Lastly, it probably doesn't matter as long as it fits your calories and macros. Bonus! If that breakfast time with your husband is alone time and a habit you both enjoy, don't give it up!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    In my food diary, I have named my meals as First breakfast, second breakfast, etc LOL.

I don't always need all the meal spaces, but I like the option there for days I am up so early that I will be hungry again before lunchtime. I am almost always starving soon after waking no matter what time that may be. I only have lunch on my list once, but I have first and second dinner for days that last later. Sometimes first dinner is a small meal or large "snack" mid afternoon.

Most of the time I will be hungry every 3 or 4 hours so I make sure I adjust meal calories accordingly and keep my calories in check for the day as a whole total. I'm losing no matter what kind of crazy schedule times I eat.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5 am every weekday and eat breakfast with hubby before he goes to work. Then I make breakfast round two with the kids around 7 (I don't eat with them). I find by 9 I want a second breakfast. I was thinking about skipping breakfast with hubs and eat later around 9 to curb this need for a second breakfast.
    I've heard you should eat right when you wake up for your metabolism. Is this true? Any tips for a long morning?

It's not surprising that you are hungry four hours after breakfast 1. I eat "second breakfast" frequently. Just work your fueling around your calorie allotment so that you eat when you are hungry. If you aren't hungry at 5, don't eat - have a cuppa with your husband and eat when you ARE hungry.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

False.

If you feel like not eating so early, then that's what you should do.

When I was eating before my gym workout at 4 a.m. (I would have a bit of cottage cheese or something, but nothing huge), and then my normal breakfast after, I was hungrier throughout the morning. When I stopped eating so early, my excessive hunger during the morning hours dissipated.

You have to find what works for you. :)

• SLLRunner
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

This is also false, unless drinking water in the morning for you in some way helps. :)

• SLLRunner
    Options
    get_it2013 wrote: »
    Theee things: your body needs fat and protein in the morning. I saw a diagram that shows a healthy breakdown of calorie consumption throughout the day with the bulk in the morning, and the lesser amount at night. When I do this, I am less hungry later...usually. Lastly, it probably doesn't matter as long as it fits your calories and macros. Bonus! If that breakfast time with your husband is alone time and a habit you both enjoy, don't give it up!
    I disagree. Lots of people don't even eat breakfast and do just fine, others just have a bowl of cereal and/or toast.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

1d5b1c46ae606baa8afb5fe0ae5b1325.jpg

And don't forget Elevensies!

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i would make the breakfast i wanted split it in two, eat one half with hubby and the second half later.
    It doesn't matter when, what, how, where (lol) you eat as long it is in your calorie allowance.

And when i would have the need to eat at 3PM too ( i dont have that but you say you do) I would do the same with my lunch.

What i do to avoid it is eating more times a day.

1. when i wake up breakfast (always)
    2. around 9am-10 a snack (sometimes)
    3. around 1pm lunch (always)
    4. between 3pm and 4pm a nice smoothie or any other snack (most of the time)
    5. between 6 and 7 dinner (always)
    6. between 9am and 10 am a huge bowl of popcorn (always) + a snack ( sometimes)

This is how it works for me.
    Not hungry but the discipline and consistency helps me staying on track all the way.
    For everybody different i know, but it helps me.