Genes vs workout

Options
camille_163
camille_163 Posts: 29 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
ive never weighed more than 100...my whole family are slim in nature but I really want to build my butt muscles and I've seen some improvement...question is, should I keep on going heavy or maintain ? My quads are looking rather thick than my butt..

Replies

• Araganz
    Araganz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fruits have calories as well and sometimes a bit more than we think. So make sure to take them into account when counting your calories! Also, fruits have sugar, so dont have toooo much of it
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a surplus? What program are you doing? Bret Contreras talks a little bit about building the butt without hitting the quads as hard in his program Strong Curves...which is also a great booty/lifting program in general.
  • camille_163
    Options
    @arditarose I'm a pretty balanced eater trying clean eating as well with some cheat day. I've been doing Erin stern's 4 week program as well as some insanity at home (skipped a few days because I was sick though) I'll be sure to check out that program. Thanks!
  • arditarose
    Options
    @arditarose I'm a pretty balanced eater trying clean eating as well with some cheat day. I've been doing Erin stern's 4 week program as well as some insanity at home (skipped a few days because I was sick though) I'll be sure to check out that program. Thanks!

So you're not trying to gain muscle? At 100 pounds, trying to reshape/gain a booty, you'd need a surplus of calories.
  • camille_163
    Options
    That's true, but I do still have good muscle composition for my size, it's pretty balanced I'd say...I worked to build my current butt and it almost seems like a plateau...I just want to be toned nothing too thick thus the quad issue..So I was wondering if I should keep on going heavy and beat pr or maintain @arditarose
  • arditarose
    Options
    That's true, but I do still have good muscle composition for my size, it's pretty balanced I'd say...I worked to build my current butt and it almost seems like a plateau...I just want to be toned nothing too thick thus the quad issue..So I was wondering if I should keep on going heavy and beat pr or maintain @arditarose

Yeah, I mean I have good muscle composition as well-but if I wanted to build more, I'd have to eat at a surplus. "Toning" is not really a thing. You can lose fat to reveal the muscle you have, or you can eat at a surplus to gain muscle along with a bit of fat (and cut the fat again if you like). There's also a recomp-which is what I am doing. Trying to lose a little fat and gain muscle together, but it is slow and takes adequate training/macros.

I don't know what you mean with "keep on going heavy". If you want to build muscle, you should always go heavy.
  • camille_163
    Options
    Thanks for the information! What I'm trying to say is for my own personal aesthetic preference, I'm not tall so getting thicker quads/hamstrings isn't really favourable on my part so i don't feel the need to keep on beating pr and building more muscle overall in that area..I'm at that point where I'd like to just maintain and keep tone. I really like your comment on Bret contreras where I can build a butt without hitting the quads too much! @arditarose
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Please don't buy into the recent fashion trend wanting a big butt.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thanks for the information! What I'm trying to say is for my own personal aesthetic preference, I'm not tall so getting thicker quads/hamstrings isn't really favourable on my part so i don't feel the need to keep on beating pr and building more muscle overall in that area..I'm at that point where I'd like to just maintain and keep tone. I really like your comment on Bret contreras where I can build a butt without hitting the quads too much! @arditarose

Yeah, here's the link

http://bretcontreras.com/growing-glutes-without-growing-the-legs/
  • camille_163
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't just want a big butt there's surgeries and what not for that, not that there's anything wrong with it. I want to work on my own! I think a toned butt represents strong legs and fitness overall. So yes, no shame..who doesn't like a curve there? (: @PopeyeCT
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Romanian deadlifts, sumo squats, good mornings, and bridges. Lift heavy, and eat above maintenance.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I don't just want a big butt there's surgeries and what not for that, not that there's anything wrong with it. I want to work on my own! I think a toned butt represents strong legs and fitness overall. So yes, no shame..who doesn't like a curve there? (: @PopeyeCT

The problem is you keep saying "toned butt" but that really doesn't make sense. Toning is losing fat to reveal muscle, but at 100 lbs I assume you don't have fat to lose. I'm just having a hard time understand your goal.
  • camille_163
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh trust me I do, I'm Asian and I'm actually considered the thickest among my sisters due to working out. It's once come to a point where my mom forbid me to go to the gym because she didn't like my "gun show" apparently biceps on a woman was just unheard of in her time... My boyfriend takes me and helps me workout too. My goal is to not be any more muscular than I already am, hence the maintaining goal as well as tone up just to sculpt the muscles I already built. I want to build a bigger butt but not at the expense of my quads and legs getting bigger than they already are! Thanks for responding and sharing your thoughts on the matter @arditarose
  • arditarose
    Options
    Okay, you're welcome. I'm just going to leave this here too.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/toning/
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance for being off subject... I joined MFP in September of 2014 and have seen different profile pictures of you Arditarose. Your stomach looks fantastic! So jealous :) Your hard work is paying off in a big way!