Seeking advice on gym shoes

Options
I need new gym shoes! My Nike Free Runs are giving me really painful corns on the side of the ball of my foot, or whatever it's called when a blister forms under a callous and will not go away or stop hurting. I am looking for a good arch support, room for high arches and wide feet, and works for both indoor and outdoor running and walking. I would prefer them to be lightweight, which is what drew me to the Nike Free Runs in the first place. What would work for that?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    My experience with running shoes is that a good quality running shoe is very important.
    I prefer to visit a "Running store" and consult with the employees. They are usually very knowledgeable. Caution: Good running shoes are not inexpensive.
    Running with a bad fitted shoe will be more expensive though, you can hurt yourself.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's great advice!
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I second visiting a running store. There are so many brands and types of running shoes and it's important to get the type for your particular strike and footfall pattern. A knowledgeable running store employee will take the time to watch you run/walk and can help you find the right shoe. And yes, expect to spend a bit on a good shoes, but it will be worth it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Brooks PureFlow
    Skechers GoRide
    Saucony Kinvara

would be some similar options.

I don't do as well with "professionally fitted" shoes as many people seem to. Trying on several pairs and picking based on what FEELS right instead of what a salesperson TELLS you is right is a good way to go. (Those two categories may well overlap, but if they don't, listen to your own feet first!)
  • melindarp
    melindarp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Altras are designed with a wider toe and are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, running or otherwise. That said, I absolutely agree with getting a consult at your local running store.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'd visit a running shoe store just to get fitted properly and to try all the different styles. I like very light weight shoes and found Skecher's Sport to be the perfect shoe. My pal swears by Altra Zero Drop shoes. They have a very wide toe box area. She was getting terrible blisters from her daily hour walk on her treadmill. She found these from being fitted at a running store.
  • duketank09
    duketank09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just dropping by to see your replies. I have very high arches and needed new running shoes myself. I will try the running shoe store. This is all new for me. Sorry to drop in on your page.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The reason people are suggesting a running shop is that what work's for them may not work for you. The other thing to be aware of depending on how much weight you still have to lose is its worth revisiting the shop when you've lost a fair bit. I went from Asics which I loved when I first started but slowly as a I lost weight they started to rub my arches (no idea why other than my feet changing shape like the rest of me!). I now prefer Adidas Boost as they fit my feet better.
  • ellejay1214
    ellejay1214 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    duketank09 wrote: »
    Just dropping by to see your replies. I have very high arches and needed new running shoes myself. I will try the running shoe store. This is all new for me. Sorry to drop in on your page.

Don't apologize! This has been really informative for me so I'm really glad you also found information you needed! I hope your feet get happy soon! Cheers!
  • ellejay1214
    ellejay1214 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is great, you guys! I have a Tri'n'Run nearby that I will check out, and I'm making a list of the shoes recommended to research, too. Y'all are the best!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Definitely go to a store and get advice plus try things on. I am so glad I did. I walk, rather than run, but I have osteoarthritis in my right foot which needs good lightweight supportive shoes (the pinky toe on that foot does funny things too that can cause pain). I ended up with a pair of Salomon XT Wings trail runners. Super lightweight, great support, I can get the right compression to minimize flare-ups of the arthritis, and the tread is great for all but the most rugged of the hiking trails I go on.

ETA: never heard of Salomon before but I am now a fan. I actually bought a second pair (for much less on Amazon) so I have one for when I wear the current ones out.