Do you ever want to want to eat something "bad"?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How long have you been dieting for and how much weight have you lost? When you diet for a extended period of time your bodies metabolism will slow down as it believes it's beginning to go into starvation mode. It no longer burns as many calories at rest than it did before. So introducing a re-feed day is common and recommend if you've lost a lot of weight, or having been dieting for a extended period of time. This causes us to have a heightened want and extreme cravings for food. So giving your body more carbs one day will help your body realize that what you're doing on is in fact on purpose and not because you are starving.

ONE DAY the god damn 'starvation mode' myth will die.

And OP, i totally get what you mean about 'wanting to want something'. It is hard to explain. It's almost disappointing when you look at a cookie and think 'i would have devoured you in a second two months ago. Now the sight of you doesn't do anything for me'.

It's like waking up one morning and suddenly realizing that your partner of 10 years is actually the most boring and unattractive person in the world and having no idea why you have suddenly come to that realization. That's the only way i can think of describing it :p

The closest I've come to experiencing this is when I've made certain recipes and been so excited about them. They were delicious and helped me stay within my calorie goals. Fast forward a few months and just nope. I want something else, even if I wind up in a new rut eating the same foods over and over again.

When I don't want sweets and deserts I usually just go with it. That's one problem that has a beautiful way of resolving itself (in my experience) without external intervention. I have a sweet tooth so those things usually find their way back to my plate eventually

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. It's like my brain goes "hey, we're doing great! but shouldn't we have wanted to eat a packet of cookies by now? surely this whole being satisfied on food within my calories has gotten old by now..."
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If it tastes bad, I won't eat it. So, no. I never want to eat something bad.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I actually don't crave anything bad. But I don't always control what we are having for dinner so I'd it's pizza I'll measure out a small slice.
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I understand what the OP means. I have had those moments of not wanting something in particular, but just wanting something. It's the wanting. It's why I told her that her brain is bored and tantruming...and to tell it to go to its room.
    Thank you, you understand what I mean! I need to stop that brain tantrum in its tracks!

• NiqueKristan
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't understand wanting to want something. I either want it or I don't.

Maybe this is a humblebrag? :huh:
    Humblebrag.....?

• NiqueKristan
    Options
    How long have you been dieting for and how much weight have you lost? When you diet for a extended period of time your bodies metabolism will slow down as it believes it's beginning to go into starvation mode. It no longer burns as many calories at rest than it did before. So introducing a re-feed day is common and recommend if you've lost a lot of weight, or having been dieting for a extended period of time. This causes us to have a heightened want and extreme cravings for food. So giving your body more carbs one day will help your body realize that what you're doing on is in fact on purpose and not because you are starving.
    Dieting since Jan, lost 35 lbs. Today is my refeed day because I WANT a burger.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Humblebrag.....?
    "Look at me! I can easily keep within my calorie goals since I don't crave crap like you fatties. I'm so great". But not stated nearly as obnoxiously. Also I have exaggerated a bit (okay a lot) so you get the point.
  • NiqueKristan
    Options
    Cait_Sidhe wrote: »
    I think I get this, it's sort of binge disorder thinking. You want to do something bad just because it's bad. You don't really want a cookie, you just want it because you're not supposed to have it. If this is the case, a lot of people are missing the point. And are lucky to have never experienced this.
    Thank you for getting me! I have had a huge problem with binge eating as well. Do you? If so, what're your coping mechanisms?
  • NiqueKristan
    Options
    I know what you mean. It's like my brain goes "hey, we're doing great! but shouldn't we have wanted to eat a packet of cookies by now? surely this whole being satisfied on food within my calories has gotten old by now..."
    Lol yes you get what I mean. The struggle is real. I must resist.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Going through the "wanting to want cookies".... And other junk. Not hungry, eating healthy and I'm not craving anything, but I want to want something bad! Why? :(

If you're not craving anything, what's the issue? Perhaps that feeling is not about food at all.

• NiqueKristan
    Options
    I get what you mean OP. I gave up smoking a long time ago but I still want to want a cigarette. I've even tried to have one but it just made me sick. The human mind is a beautiful and frightening thing!

Sometimes I want to want cake. Sometimes I even eat it when I don't want it because I feel I should crave it.

I think it's a sign we are doing well. We are not restricting ourselves and we are in control and not feeling deprived. Its in the human conditioning to feel that we should miss something when its gone, even if that thing wasn't good for us and having it gone is better for us.

Score 1 for the brain and 0 for the logic!
    Congrats on quitting smoking!!! It's like our brains are trying to sabotage us, and tempt us to go back to our old ways.

• NiqueKristan
    Options

ONE DAY the god damn 'starvation mode' myth will die.

And OP, i totally get what you mean about 'wanting to want something'. It is hard to explain. It's almost disappointing when you look at a cookie and think 'i would have devoured you in a second two months ago. Now the sight of you doesn't do anything for me'.

It's like waking up one morning and suddenly realizing that your partner of 10 years is actually the most boring and unattractive person in the world and having no idea why you have suddenly come to that realization. That's the only way i can think of describing it :p
    You GET ME!!!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Humblebrag.....?
    "Look at me! I can easily keep within my calorie goals since I don't crave crap like you fatties. I'm so great". But not stated nearly as obnoxiously. Also I have exaggerated a bit (okay a lot) so you get the point.

The urban dictionary definitions are hilarious. :laugh: To be clear I don't necessarily think this is what you're doing

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=humblebrag
  • NiqueKristan
    Options

Humblebrag.....?
    Not what I meant at all :/
    Just meant the cravings not there, but I feel I won't be happy or satisfied when I eat it. Forcing yourself to eat something you don't want for no reason other that emotional, is no brag at all.

• NiqueKristan
    edited May 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Going through the "wanting to want cookies".... And other junk. Not hungry, eating healthy and I'm not craving anything, but I want to want something bad! Why? :(

If you're not craving anything, what's the issue? Perhaps that feeling is not about food at all.
    I've came to the conclusion after reading others opinions that it's purely emotional. Food has equaled happiness my entire life. Wasn't feeling too happy yesterday.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I've came to the conclusion after reading others opinions that it's purely emotional. Food has equaled happiness my entire life. Wasn't feeling to happy yesterday.

Yeah, makes sense. Interesting how the mind and body works.

I hope you're in the mood for a cookie soon :)
  • NiqueKristan
    Options

Humblebrag.....?

The urban dictionary definitions are hilarious. :laugh: To be clear I don't necessarily think this is what you're doing

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=humblebrag[/quote
    Lol that is pretty funny
  • NiqueKristan
    Options

I've came to the conclusion after reading others opinions that it's purely emotional. Food has equaled happiness my entire life. Wasn't feeling to happy yesterday.

Yeah, makes sense. Interesting how the mind and body works.

I hope you're in the mood for a cookie soon :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a 400 calorie think that requires more planning to fit in, I eat what I want every day. Just got to practice moderation to make it fit.