Thoughts on eating organic. . .

I was wondering, do you guys feel that eating organic is better for your body than eating 'regular' food? I recently switched to organic (or mostly organic) and I do feel good but it is more expensive. What are your thoughts on the pros and cons or organic eating?

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    There's a lot of contention here on whether or not organic is 'better' - all I know is that I like the taste of vegetable from my own garden, and I prefer the flavor of grass-fed meats and organic, pastured eggs.

Whether or not it's healthier remains to be seen.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    i think organic tastes better. i buy organic milk because my skin flares up when i drink regular because of the hormones. i also buy organic cheese for the same reason (but hard cheeses, like parmesan, are fine buying regular).
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    I try to buy organic veg/fruit which is a considered a "dirty dozen", also milk. Organic meat is too expensive.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I always refer to the Dirty Dozen.

Also, in my house we grew up on Happy Meat (organic, local, not factory farmed) so that's the meat we try to buy in my house. Health-wise I know it makes a difference. Not getting all of those hormones and antibiotics sure has made us healthier humans at least in my house.

We have a year-round farmer's market and I also volunteer at a farm (despite living in the city).

My motto is you either pay now or you pay later in medical costs. We don't do 100% organic but we do for the things that matter.

Dirty Dozen: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9160/12-fruits-veggies-with-the-most-pesticides-2013-dirty-dozen.html
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

Also, in my house we grew up on Happy Meat (organic, local, not factory farmed) so that's the meat we try to buy in my house. Health-wise I know it makes a difference. Not getting all of those hormones and antibiotics sure has made us healthier humans at least in my house.

We have a year-round farmer's market and I also volunteer at a farm (despite living in the city).

My motto is you either pay now or you pay later in medical costs. We don't do 100% organic but we do for the things that matter.

Dirty Dozen: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9160/12-fruits-veggies-with-the-most-pesticides-2013-dirty-dozen.html

Thanks, I was going to ask you for that link!

I love your motto - that's one way I sell my company's pet food (phrased in a polite manner of course).
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member

Thanks, I was going to ask you for that link!

I love your motto - that's one way I sell my company's pet food (phrased in a polite manner of course).

Thank you--and yes quality pet food is important. We've noticed a big difference by feeding our cat Maximus only the best food.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    I focus more on locally grown/raised, and freeze as much of it during the growing season as I can, for the fall/winter months. During off season times I buy a few organic things, that are price comparable, but also buy the regular stuff-especially frozen veggies (which are frozen soon after being picked instead of fresh being carted in from halfway across the country).
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Personally I do not buy almost anything that is labeled "organic" unless it is a lower price then the conventional or appears to be a better product and it almost never is. Both organic and conventional use pesticides and fungicides but the conventional can use less of the pesticides and fungicides since the chemicals they use are newer and pests have not been able to develop resistance to them.

Penn & Teller did a BS show on organic foods they did a taste test of people at a market it was not scientific by any stretch but it may make you wonder.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    I buy organic when at all possible. I don't think it's healthier in terms of nutrients, but I do think it's a big deal NOT to be ingesting any more chemicals/pesticides/hormones that we have to.

(I need to upload a photo -- this blank head looks so unfriendly!)
  • gpinzone
    gpinzone Posts: 25 Member
    Watch this about the Ames Test and organic food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxE9sYatPAs