does exercising mean i can eat more???

Options
Hi. So i recently started adding how many calories i burn while i work out. And i noticed that it adds to my calories i can have for the day. My daily caloric intake before inputting exercise is 1200. My question is . If i eat more than the 1200 after working out will it defeat the purpose.

Thankkksssss

Ps. Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    To use MFP as intended, you are meant to eat your exercise calories. Your goal already has a deficit built into it, so no, it does not defeat the purpose.

That being said, MFP is sometimes off as far as calorie burns go, so you may want to just eat half of them back.
  • sassyjassy1222
    sassyjassy1222 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I didnt know the deficit was accounted for.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yep... do not eat all of them back... just eat back a portion (I say 50% or less).. Not sure how or where your exercise calculations come from, so you might want to read the link below:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    I do exercise vids at home. And the vid gives a calorie burning range from low imapct to high impact. Its a rough est. But usually round down. So far i havent been eating my calories back. I try to stay with my original number.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    And thanks for the link. I need to become more familiar with those terms.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    The real question is whether the exercise calorie estimate is sensible or not. Maybe you could share an example or two?

If the estimates are too high, you'll want to know that up front.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    Here is an example. One day i burned 550 calories. So it looked like this
    1200(total) -440(what i had eaten)+550(burned)= 1310 more calories i cud eat.
    Which was more than i had to start with
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options

Yes that 1310 is the 1200 (base)+550(burned)-440(eaten,logged) That 550 must have been a LOT of mins. doing HIIT.

You might want to check out the eat more to lose more group :) 1200 is just being a live and breathing basically.

• sassyjassy1222
    Options

Yes that 1310 is the 1200 (base)+550(burned)-440(eaten,logged) That 550 must have been a LOT of mins. doing HIIT.

You might want to check out the eat more to lose more group :) 1200 is just being a live and breathing basically.

Yes. I do hiit everyday. I love how much it kicks my butt lol. My base use to b 1740. But i put i wanted to lose 2lbs a week and it dropped me to 1200.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    That 550 must have been a LOT of mins. doing HIIT.

Right - that's the thing, are the calories reasonable for the person (weight, output during the workout) and time.

SJ if the caloric burn seems correct then you go right ahead and eat every one of them back.

MFP's 1,200 calorie base presumes you answered "sedentary" as your lifestyle, which is the same way I approach it since I work behind a keyboard.

I run 5 to 7 times a week and I eat back a large percentage of my exercise calories, but not 100% of them, in order to allow for any input calorie mistakes I might make. I'm losing 1kg a week quite consistently so since it's working I'm not changing anything.

• marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, much of what you eat doesn't only feeds you for energy but for repairing your tissues, so you need that extra food for creating muscle, for expanding your arteries and so on.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have a much better understanding
  • chami1013
    chami1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this sassyjassy1222. I was wondering the same thing.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    chami1013 wrote: »
    Thanks for asking this sassyjassy1222. I was wondering the same thing.

No prob :) i love the forums cuz i get the opportunity to ask questions i might b embarrassed to ask my real life friends or fam
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I did not eat any back for two reasons: 1. People tend to miss minor things in diary throughout the day. I wanted to account for any small misses 2. The exercise calories MPF gives back is higher than reality. By not eating calories back I lost 11 lbs per month for 6 months. No plateaus. LBM went from 168 to 160 (so losing 68 lbs was only 8 lbs of muscle). I did work out that entire time,.. but when I see people eat back their calories, the posts are always the same: I'M NOT LOSING!!! HELP
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »
    I did not eat any back for two reasons: 1. People tend to miss minor things in diary throughout the day. I wanted to account for any small misses 2. The exercise calories MPF gives back is higher than reality. By not eating calories back I lost 11 lbs per month for 6 months. No plateaus. LBM went from 168 to 160 (so losing 68 lbs was only 8 lbs of muscle). I did work out that entire time,.. but when I see people eat back their calories, the posts are always the same: I'M NOT LOSING!!! HELP

Congratulations on ur weight loss. I personally havent eaten back my calories because im afraid i might eat back too much. So i dont risk it. I just didnt know if that was something (if u can accuratley accnt for it) i cud do.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten back my exercise calories and lost weight when needed but that means no slacking with logging (even little things), creating accurate custom food labels for my diary and exercise burns for various types of activity. Of course there's always a little bit of give and take involved but that easily balances out over the course of a week if you stay focused. If not now, you'll find when you don't really need to lose any more weight that you'll definitely be wanting to eat back any and all exercise calories that you have coming to you, lol.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    coretemp wrote: »
    I have always eaten back my exercise calories and lost weight when needed but that means no slacking with logging (even little things), creating accurate custom food labels for my diary and exercise burns for various types of activity. Of course there's always a little bit of give and take involved but that easily balances out over the course of a week if you stay focused. If not now, you'll find when you don't really need to lose any more weight that you'll definitely be wanting to eat back any and all exercise calories that you have coming to you, lol.

What reasons wud i want to stop losing weight. Still new with my weight loss journey so not sure. A plateau maybe?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    coretemp wrote: »

What reasons wud i want to stop losing weight. Still new with my weight loss journey so not sure. A plateau maybe?

You'll want to stop losing weight when you hit your goal weight. You don't want to be in a calorie deficit forever.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I eat back half mine and I'm still losing.