Hypothyroidism and weight loss!

Options
13»

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    A person with thyroid disease who is on a proper dose of medication does not need to make any additional adjustments to calorie intake to account for "metabolic issues". Their medication already does that.

Eating too little over a long amount of time does one's metabolism no favors.

Yes, I understand this. However, as someone that was treated for medical starvation and treated for resting non-functional thyroid issues, I've plenty of experience with this type of change. Someone at that size who is expecting a quick loss, who has not been responding to a supposedly well-monitored diet, may well be advised to cut to 1200 without any issues, particularly if managed by a dietician.

Besides, people who are reliant on "Scooby" for accurate information are misinformed in my book. There is a difference between taking average TDEEs and spitting out numbers and working with professionals that are working on your particular case with your case history. If you don't trust your professionals, then you need to find a new team.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hi I too have hypothyroidism diagnosed 2 yrs ago been on 100 g levothyroxine,and a vitamin b12 defiency been losing weight since end of Feb 10lbs so far bloods done other day doctor called today to say my thyroid has got worse upping my dose to 125m, but I'm determined not to let this beat me anymore, I hoping as the weight comes off my thyroid issues will get better, good luck to you all x

Unfortunately no, it does not work this way. Depending on how early the diagnosis was, the meds will delay, or help you completely avoid, surgery in the future. But you cannot make your thyroid better by losing, or gaining, weight or leading a more healthy lifestyle (I am assuming you have an autoimmune disorder, like most). Hypothyroidism is not an illness than gets better with weight loss.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    A person with thyroid disease who is on a proper dose of medication does not need to make any additional adjustments to calorie intake to account for "metabolic issues". Their medication already does that.

Eating too little over a long amount of time does one's metabolism no favors.

Yes, I understand this. However, as someone that was treated for medical starvation and treated for resting non-functional thyroid issues, I've plenty of experience with this type of change. Someone at that size who is expecting a quick loss, who has not been responding to a supposedly well-monitored diet, may well be advised to cut to 1200 without any issues, particularly if managed by a dietician.

Besides, people who are reliant on "Scooby" for accurate information are misinformed in my book. There is a difference between taking average TDEEs and spitting out numbers and working with professionals that are working on your particular case with your case history. If you don't trust your professionals, then you need to find a new team.

Well, let's apply a little common sense here first. In this situation, have you examined the stats of the OP, or are you just arguing to argue based on personal experience?

I'll do the same. Apply personal experience, that is.

The fact of the matter is that a 29 year old with a well-corrected thyroid does not need the same caloric intake as a shorter 52 year old to lose weight. Also? the 29 year old is a teacher and is likely much more active than the 52 year old. I'll just about guarantee it.

The other fact of the matter? The 29 year old wasn't accurately assessing her intake by using a food scale. Simplest solutions and all that.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 12 years ago, Hashimoto's about 3 months ago. I'd been on 25 till then. Had to push my doc really hard to change it to a higher dose. Must say that I feel so much better! Unfortunately my weight seems to be an issue. I've heard and read a lot about Hashimoto's and I honestly and truthfully don't know what to believe in. Lacto free but be mindful with soya products, gluten free as it reduces inflammation. Supplements (zinc, potassium, magnesium) but when you eat healthy do you really need to overdo them?
    Everything seems to be an issue.
    I guess I need to find my way like you Guys have. I'm proud of you, you're doing absolutely fantastic! :smile:

ALWAYS push your doctor to treat your symptoms, not the numbers. That was the advice the endocrinologist who diagnosed my Hashi's gave me. Get familiar with the number where you feel your best. Every thyroid patient seems to have a certain "sweet spot" that seems to be optimum for symptom relief. A good doctor will know this.

A doctor who will only say... "you're in normal range"... and leave you hanging there? Needs to be fired.

• 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    I've got hypothyroidism as well as PCOS and weight loss is hard to come by, but does come with a lot of hard work. But I do have a lot of water retention various times of the month. If you really believe your thyroid levels are way off and your doc hasn't measured your T3 and T4 and total T levels, one option is iodoral which you could purchase from Amazon. That will help regulate your thyroid. I had to use that a couple years back when there was a shortage of Armour and I couldn't get my thyroid medication for several months.
  • maggie_teacher
    maggie_teacher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 12 years ago, Hashimoto's about 3 months ago. I'd been on 25 till then. Had to push my doc really hard to change it to a higher dose. Must say that I feel so much better! Unfortunately my weight seems to be an issue. I've heard and read a lot about Hashimoto's and I honestly and truthfully don't know what to believe in. Lacto free but be mindful with soya products, gluten free as it reduces inflammation. Supplements (zinc, potassium, magnesium) but when you eat healthy do you really need to overdo them?
    Everything seems to be an issue.
    I guess I need to find my way like you Guys have. I'm proud of you, you're doing absolutely fantastic! :smile:

ALWAYS push your doctor to treat your symptoms, not the numbers. That was the advice the endocrinologist who diagnosed my Hashi's gave me. Get familiar with the number where you feel your best. Every thyroid patient seems to have a certain "sweet spot" that seems to be optimum for symptom relief. A good doctor will know this.

A doctor who will only say... "you're in normal range"... and leave you hanging there? Needs to be fired.

A lot going on here. I'm sure you All have come a long way to come to your thyroid arrangements.

I also believe that a good doctor is the one who displays their interest and listens before they act.

• maggie_teacher
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    It's a pharmacological fact that hypothyroidic conditions do not cause weight gain. They simply change your metabolic rate. So, adjusting your caloric intake to meet your caloric burns having such a condition is paramount. If you want to lose, you've got to measure, especially with such a small loss goal anyway. Surprised I don't see anyone pointing out that expecting a quick loss with your goal is unreasonable even for someone without metabolic issues.

Either way, the physics still apply. You have to take in less than you burn in order to lose. If a person with normal metabolism should eat 1400 at your height and weight to lose, I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that someone with metabolic rate issues to cut to 1200 instead.

As for weight loss, I know it is possible and I never push the things forwards as I don't believe in quick weight loss. I'm not disciplined enough to maintain the results. I realise that in hypothyroidism it is LIFESTYLE that needs to be changed.

I have tried 1200kcal and in a long run, it didn't work. I have decided (thank YOU Mamapeach!) to recalculate my daily intake and weigh my foods.
    As a teacher I am quite active indeed. I will give it a go :smile:
  • maggie_teacher
    Options
    AprilAY3 wrote: »
    I've got hypothyroidism as well as PCOS and weight loss is hard to come by, but does come with a lot of hard work. But I do have a lot of water retention various times of the month. If you really believe your thyroid levels are way off and your doc hasn't measured your T3 and T4 and total T levels, one option is iodoral which you could purchase from Amazon. That will help regulate your thyroid. I had to use that a couple years back when there was a shortage of Armour and I couldn't get my thyroid medication for several months.

That's interesting what you're saying about the iodine supplement. I read an interesting book on various aspects of treating a range of 'incurable' conditions and two of them were hyper-and hypothyroidism. The interesting fact was that iodine was being used to treat both conditions. Obviously that's when you are lucky to be a patient of a professional!
    How did you feel on it?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    AprilAY3 wrote: »

That's interesting what you're saying about the iodine supplement. I read an interesting book on various aspects of treating a range of 'incurable' conditions and two of them were hyper-and hypothyroidism. The interesting fact was that iodine was being used to treat both conditions. Obviously that's when you are lucky to be a patient of a professional!
    How did you feel on it?

Sorry but this is nonsense, you are getting awful advice. Lack of iodine inyour diet is a very well known reason for hypothyroidism. You either have Hashimoto's which is autoimmune, or you need iodine supplements because this is causing hypothyroidism. It is not a mixture of everything, and getting treatment for X when the problem is Y is only going to cause double the problems. If you are not iodine defficient, or are hyperthyroid, and decide to self medicate with iodine, you are in for far more serious health issues than the ones you started with. It is not candy, it is medication, and pretty dangerous one to experiment with.
    Ask your dr waht your diagnosis is, and follow the prescribed treatment. Hypothyroidism is a very common medical conditions, especially for women, treatment is well known and effective, it is hardly research work these days, and you would need to get a uniquely bad dr to not know how to treat you.
    If the dr is saying the weight gain, or difficulty to lose weight, is not caused by the Hypothyroidism, this is not a bad dr, this is an honest dr. One who is nto telling nonsense to the patients to keep them happy.