what sucks about my healthy addiction!

Options
I love me my nuts...I don't eat meat (except the occasional fish item) so I consume nuts regularly.
Problem? They are generally more expensive than meat! I spend a small fortune for them... just needed to rant this morning....

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Another problem.... They aren't really a great protein source!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Another problem.... They aren't really a great protein source!

^^This,
    Anyways, do you have a Sprouts or one of those health stores that sells them in bulk? They may be cheaper that way.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat 2lbs of pistachios most weeks $17.99 so ya a $100 a month
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Everything is fine in moderation, so I guess it depends on how much you actually eat.

I don't really eat meat (well, I never cook it because it's too expensive, but I would eat it if I were going out) and I have become the chickpea's number one fan. I also try to get eggs and yoghurt into my diet a bit more as an alternative source of protein. They are a damn sight cheaper than nuts too!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Wow, you eat 5,053 calories in pistachios a week? thats 721 calories a day in pistachios. Holy crap, thats a serious pistachio lover. Oh who am i kidding, i could easily eat that many pistachios a day/week too. :D
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

Wow, you eat 5,053 calories in pistachios a week? that's 721 calories a day in pistachios. Holy crap, that's a serious pistachio lover. Oh who am i kidding, i could easily eat that many pistachios a day/week too. :D

wow...I thought I loved nuts...that's 180 pistachios in one day! Now I don't feel so 'guilty'!lol
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just cut the pistachios and that's 1 1/2 lbs lost wow
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    WOW and I only count it as 360 calories but still losing a pound a week.. Thanks
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    WOW and I only count it as 360 calories but still losing a pound a week.. Thanks

Perhaps it's shelled vs unshelled? Haha.... That's still an awful lot of nuts. Let's hope you really aren't what you eat :p
  • athleticgirl2K15
    athleticgirl2K15 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really love nuts too but they are highly caloric! They are a healthy nightmare for weight loss!!

I also agree that they are overly expensive. I can eat 5 million cashews and roasted almonds ANY DAY! lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Well, nuts are more expensive per pound than meat, but the serving sizes are supposed to be smaller - a serving size of walnuts is only one ounce. This only provides 4 g of protein though. Like other people said, nuts aren't a great source of protein.

I won't knock your food ethics, but would like to know more about them - I see you eat fish - do you eat eggs? Can you eat more fish? I eat canned wild salmon a few times per month - it's a lot cheaper than not-canned, and is not-farmed. I use it as I would canned tuna fish.

The vegans I knew got their protein from legumes. I put pea protein powder in my smoothies and some other foods where it makes sense to do so.
  • buffveganme
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well, nuts are more expensive per pound than meat, but the serving sizes are supposed to be smaller - a serving size of walnuts is only one ounce. This only provides 4 g of protein though. Like other people said, nuts aren't a great source of protein.

I won't knock your food ethics, but would like to know more about them - I see you eat fish - do you eat eggs? Can you eat more fish? I eat canned wild salmon a few times per month - it's a lot cheaper than not-canned, and is not-farmed. I use it as I would canned tuna fish.

The vegans I knew got their protein from legumes. I put pea protein powder in my smoothies and some other foods where it makes sense to do so.

Hi - I do eat eggs and fish from time to time(but I stick with the fresh) and have a bit of diary too (cottage cheese and yogurt) -I consume tofu, seitan, lentils

I don't consume nuts for necessarily for a protein source, I just like them (a bit too much! lol).
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Girl, try chickpeas, beans eggplant and more eggs.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    At least it seems you can eat them in moderation, yay, that's awesome! Now you just need to do a little fund raiser and you'll be good to go :)
  • KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yeah you def need more than 800 cals a day
  • buffveganme
    Options
    Yes, I realize my nutrition is not so good - and although I'd like to say 'oh, and I'm currently improving on this issue of mine...' but I'm just not there. My doctor is sure wanting me 'get it together'.
    Thanks for your concern