Best way to enter "recipes" where the amounts of each ingredient change slightly each time?

Options
seiffertrk
seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
For weeks now I have been making pre/post strength workout smoothies. Although I have some standard recipes I make over and over, I still log all the ingredients separately because there is no way to hit the exact weights every time. One banana weighs whatever it's going to weigh; it doesn't care that my recipe wants 94g (sheesh, bananas are sooo selfish).

The copy food feature of MFP makes this process pretty easy...but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

--Rich

Replies

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    You can put them in the recipe feature and edit only those ingredients that change before logging each time. There are several recipes I do this with almost daily. My vegetable trays, when I make soup, my morning breakfst bowl.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I just edit the recipe each time I make it. It does not take long to change the weights on ingredients and add or remove a few.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think you're best to save it as a meal, because when you add a meal it puts all the ingredients into your diary separately, then you can tweak the ones that need tweaking. Saving it as a recipe is an option, but there would be additional steps to tweak it each time which would make it more cumbersome.
  • seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @Alatariel75 I wasn't sure how to use the meal feature, so that helps. It sounds like your way would save me all the steps of diving through my diary to find the last time I did whatever and copying. I'd be right to, ok, it's in today and all I have to do is tweak the amounts.

@shadowfax_c11 @cblue315 I didn't know you could do this. So, as you select the recipe to log it you have the opportunity to tweak the ingredients? I will give it a try. This has the advantage that I would see some kind of smoothie in my diary rather than a bunch of frozen fruit and protein powder. As it is now anyone looking at my diary would think I'm some kind of freak that snacks on frozen strawberries straight out of the bag...

I'm going to give this a shot both ways and see which works better for me. Thank you all!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    seiffertrk wrote: »
    @shadowfax_c11 @cblue315 I didn't know you could do this. So, as you select the recipe to log it you have the opportunity to tweak the ingredients? I will give it a try. This has the advantage that I would see some kind of smoothie in my diary rather than a bunch of frozen fruit and protein powder. As it is now anyone looking at my diary would think I'm some kind of freak that snacks on frozen strawberries straight out of the bag...

I'm going to give this a shot both ways and see which works better for me. Thank you all!

Yes. You can edit all of your recipes. I scratch cook and just have Recipes for general food sets that I tend to eat. I never make the same meal the same way twice. I just go in and tweak the ingredients and portion amounts every time I make that set.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Edit in the app

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You could just use the same amount of ingredients each time? Make your recipe with 100g banana, use 100g banana. You could pre chop and bag your Smoothie ingredients once a week and freeze them.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    You will have to go in theough recipes to edit. I do this often, it does not take much additional time. Saves having to enter each ingredient every time.