10k Training after 1 month off

Options
KazB5
KazB5 Posts: 14 Member
I was running 11-12K 3 times a week in preparation for a 10K at the end of May. I ended up hurting my knee a month ago and haven't done any running. I now think I'm OK but have only 2 weeks to get back to how I was. Is this do - able? How should I approach it? Start with a 5K and add 1k a day?

Replies

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    When I went through a similar thing, I made things worse by going back too soon. After only a month off, your cardio will be good enough to go out and run a 10k, but your muscles and bones need to build back up. I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot :(

Now, I'm trying again but using a programme my physio wrote for me, which is pretty much a rehab schedule. I would highly recommend going to a physio that will do this for you, it's working really well for me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go from no running for a month to running every day AND adding distance.
  • KazB5
    Options
    Hi both, thank you for your advice. I tried a 5K about a week ago. I was uncomfortable but managed it so decided just to leave off my knee until the event. Now with less than a week to go I really don't know what to do. I'm planning to just run it and see what happens but there's a bit of me saying that that's a really stupid thing to do. I feel I can't pull out of the race as I've been sponsored and I would be letting people down. Such a dilemma!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Just run it nice and slow, don't race.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    KazB5 wrote: »
    Hi both, thank you for your advice. I tried a 5K about a week ago. I was uncomfortable but managed it so decided just to leave off my knee until the event. Now with less than a week to go I really don't know what to do. I'm planning to just run it and see what happens but there's a bit of me saying that that's a really stupid thing to do. I feel I can't pull out of the race as I've been sponsored and I would be letting people down. Such a dilemma!

If you run it you'll just be putting your recovery back, but I can understand that you don't want to pull out of you've been sponsored for it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Or Run/ walk it?
  • KazB5
    Options
    Quick update. I managed a 10K yesterday afternoon with my knee strapped up. I could feel it but was not in agony. Only added about 2 mins onto my usual time. So I'll do what @WhatMeRunning said and just take it nice and slow on Saturday. Thanks all!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

Or Run/ walk it?

Or that. :)
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Tape it up, and have an ice pack in your kit bag ready for after. (you can get instant ice packs that you dont have to keep in a freezer, quite inexpensive if you buy a box of 20, useful to keep a few about).

Good luck on your run :)
  • KazB5
    Options
    Good idea @csman49 - I'll see what I can find and yes @WhatMeRunning I've had to reprogramme my thinking to aim to get to the finish line rather than ace my 10K time. I'll leave that to another race later in the year where ideally I won't over train and hurt myself! Thanks all!