Dieting While on Vacation

Options
I am leaving in a couple days for a ten day trip to both London and Berlin. I have been doing really well with my weight loss so far and I don't want to derail my progress. I also want to enjoy myself while I am abroad and part of that is trying all the different foods and going out for dinners and drinks. Does anyone have any tips on how to vacation and eat well?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Walk a lot. Everywhere. All that walking will help offset the additional food.

Know the benefits and the traps of where you're going to. England and Germany are both known for rich foods and a lot of beer. Sample the local pints and foods, of course, but also mix it up with some lighter fare.

Supermarkets are good to stop in for a lighter lunch on the go, so you can save more of your calories for dinners out. It's quick and easy to grab a yogurt, some fruit, or a salad off the salad bar.

Log loosely to stay mindful, but accept that accuracy will be nigh-on impossible. Estimate high.

Mostly, you're on vacation so enjoy yourself! In ten days, you won't be able to do all THAT much damage... even if you gain a couple of pounds, you can take them off again when you get home. Allow yourself to relax and enjoy.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You will find a lot of farmer's markets in both places. Pick up fresh fruit you can eat for breakfasts. I remember most places include breakfast with lodging (B&B's, Gashauses, etc) I loved the breakfasts that were served over there. One way you can sample the local cuisine is to have a big dinner every 2nd or 3rd day, the other days have something lighter. You will probably be doing a lot of walking a you tour around so I wouldn't worry to much about what you eat. If you have the opportunity to log your food, do so. Perhaps just jot things down in a journal and you can log it when you get back home. Vacations should be fun, don't stress over food, even if you back track a little it won't take you long to get back on track once you are home.
  • eatearth
    eatearth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot, and I found a good way to save some calories while still trying the local eats is splitting food as much as possible. For example, if my boyfriend and I go out we split almost everything -- if we want to try some fish and chips we get the smallest portion and then split it, that way we both get to try it but consume less calories than if we each have had our own dish. If you're going with more than one other person its even better as long as you can convince them to split food with you.

Also, walk tons and try to squeeze in a work out here and there. 45 min in the hotel gym doesn't take much take much time out of your day and can give you some extra calories to play around with.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've never been to Berlin, but if you walk around London as much as is safe/realistic, you could definitely earn enough calories for some of our delectable meals and alcoholic beverages.

When I'm on holiday I normally try and eat a big, balanced breakfast, stay active during the day, and then I can eat a big dinner with a few drinks. Ultimately it's 10 days, so just don't treat it as an all-you-can-eat challenge and you'll be fine.
  • jskyjse
    jskyjse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I were on vacation in London and Berlin, I would MODERATELY eat what I wanted to. You are on vacation. Come home and deal with the small gain. This is life, you have to enjoy it or what's the point?