Lifting on running days, alternate, or give up?

Options
I'm plotting out my new training plan since I can now say that I run half marathons (the s is important, I'm sure we can all agree) and I now want to work up to a full.

For running, I'm going with three short runs on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday with a long run on Saturday. So far so good. I have the mileage and timing figured out and am going to work to half marathon length over the next 12 weeks then work to marathon length in another 12 weeks.

I said I run half marathons, not that I run them well, hence the first 12 weeks.

But what to do with lifting? In the past I've lifted on my non running days, but I read an article recently about lifting directly after running being more beneficial. I've been following starting strength, and love it, but I'm on the fence about how well it will play with the running. I should also note that I can accept slower progression/no progress in my strength trading for the duration of the training. Trying not to be too ambitious!

So I give it to you, dear MFP hive mind. What are your thoughts?

Combine lifting with running three days a week using starting strength?

Lift on non running days?

Use a different lifting program?

Buy pink Dumbbells and cry into my pillow at night?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I could never lift with any real intensity after running to make it worth while. To me the loss in performance was not worth it. I'd recommend Lift on non-running days. Unless you can split the lifting and running to one in the morning and one in the evening.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do both but space them out over at least 3+ hours and running always follows lifting. I don't lift on the days I do my long runs.