lower back pain with deadlifts and ab work

Options
13»

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v160/babygrant/Mobile Uploads/VID_20150520_130712_zpsynlgufg5.mp4

Kind of embarassed cause I have such a long ways to go still :(

So with pump basically you start in set position and just lower to knees and back up. No lifting off the ground. I see I stick my *kitten* out quite a ways hmmmm.... Please be kind in your critique lol
    I couldn't access it. Is there a program I need?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Its just photobucket. Should work.....
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v160/babygrant/Mobile Uploads/VID_20150520_130712_zpsynlgufg5.mp4

Kind of embarassed cause I have such a long ways to go still :(

So with pump basically you start in set position and just lower to knees and back up. No lifting off the ground. I see I stick my *kitten* out quite a ways hmmmm.... Please be kind in your critique lol
    I couldn't access it. Is there a program I need?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Its just photobucket. Should work.....

It opened in another window - maybe if you have a popup blocker it didn't play for you.

Unfortunately I have nowhere near enough expertise to comment but I'm curious to hear what the more knowledgeable people have to say, so BUMP.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    For the particular move that body pump is showing, I would search youtube for romanian deadlift videos to look at form. As the deadlift one posted (great one too) showed, it's going to be a bit different depending on your start point. With stiff-legged or even sumo deadlift, you have the weights starting at the floor and usually set on the ground every single rep. The romanian deadlift goes through some of the motion of a deadlift but not all since the weights don't touch the ground.

I know when I do RDL I tend to use a lighter weight than my standard deadlift but that's also partly because New Rules of Lifting for Women has a couple stages were we do a rdl/bent row combination and I can't row near as much as I can deadlift. The ground touch is a big factor so the form is a little different between the two.

I haven't tried body pump, but I've done grit strength, which incorporates lifts but focuses on reps. The classes/videos are often a bit of lifting and cardio combined but can be good points plus the lighter weights necessary to keep doing the rep scheme does help to work on form. I am better at cleans from the class cause it was easy to work with 30 lbs for a while before working on the heavier ones.

As for back pain. I'm not sure because I've had my back twinge a little in squats but never had problems with any form of deadlift even with arthritis in my back.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    For the particular move that body pump is showing, I would search youtube for romanian deadlift videos to look at form. As the deadlift one posted (great one too) showed, it's going to be a bit different depending on your start point. With stiff-legged or even sumo deadlift, you have the weights starting at the floor and usually set on the ground every single rep. The romanian deadlift goes through some of the motion of a deadlift but not all since the weights don't touch the ground.

I know when I do RDL I tend to use a lighter weight than my standard deadlift but that's also partly because New Rules of Lifting for Women has a couple stages were we do a rdl/bent row combination and I can't row near as much as I can deadlift. The ground touch is a big factor so the form is a little different between the two.

I haven't tried body pump, but I've done grit strength, which incorporates lifts but focuses on reps. The classes/videos are often a bit of lifting and cardio combined but can be good points plus the lighter weights necessary to keep doing the rep scheme does help to work on form. I am better at cleans from the class cause it was easy to work with 30 lbs for a while before working on the heavier ones.

As for back pain. I'm not sure because I've had my back twinge a little in squats but never had problems with any form of deadlift even with arthritis in my back.

Yeah this combines deadlifts (RDL apparently), clean and press, row and wide rows so I WAS using 10 lb plates but went down to 5's to get form right
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good with deadlift form but I'm not up on my RDLs at all. Having said that, your form looks fine with a nice neutral spine and doesn't really look like it'd stress your back at all. Given the relatively light weight I'd be shocked if that's putting undue strain on your back. If you're having major pains from this movement I'd see a doc, you might have a legit medical problem (slipped disk or something like that).
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I'm pretty good with deadlift form but I'm not up on my RDLs at all. Having said that, your form looks fine with a nice neutral spine and doesn't really look like it'd stress your back at all. Given the relatively light weight I'd be shocked if that's putting undue strain on your back. If you're having major pains from this movement I'd see a doc, you might have a legit medical problem (slipped disk or something like that).

Yeah, it hasn't been bugging me the past few days but i also haven't worked. I'm a nurses aide so lots of pulling and pushing and odd movements. Will make an appointment though to have it checked out.