Avocado? Is this right?

Options
zdyb23456
zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
I bought a normal looking avocado, cut it in half, scooped out all the flesh, and weighed it in grams 167 grams = 267 calories?!
I thought that couldn't be right so I checked the USDA site and it matched up.
Am I doing something wrong? I always thought avocados were calorie bombs!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right! They're higher calorie for a vegie/fruit but not the massive amount they're made out to be.
  • franklinator70
    franklinator70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    High calorie high benefits!!!!!
  • Dagoob
    Dagoob Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Loving the avocado - made some some fresh guacamole tonight to have with celery - not quite a chip but still had a crunch. Lol
  • d1664256
    d1664256 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That looks like the correct amount for the average avocado. For some daily goals, that really is a calorie bomb!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I've always liked them but stayed away from them because I thought they were much higher in calories... like 700 calories per avocado. A friend a long time ago told me that... don't know why I never verified if he was telling the truth. Kind of makes me sad I've been missing out all these years - lol
  • taekwondogirl
    taekwondogirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think part of it is that they're high in fatty calories (the good kind though!). Also, as someone else said, that is a bomb for some people! That's close to a full meal for me.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I count my avocados at around 280-320, depending on 'average' or a bit larger. sounds right to me :)
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I've always liked them but stayed away from them because I thought they were much higher in calories... like 700 calories per avocado. A friend a long time ago told me that... don't know why I never verified if he was telling the truth. Kind of makes me sad I've been missing out all these years - lol

that would be a ginormous avocado lol... so much guacamole....
  • merde_il_pleut
    merde_il_pleut Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    And lots of fibre!