Not losing breast tissue

Options
I'm down 20lbs in the last 2 months, and I swear to god my boobs have actually gotten bigger. I had a similar issue when I was younger, and ended up having a breast reduction when I was 19.

I had assumed my lack of tissue loss in that area at that age was due to lingering hormones from puberty, but I'm now running into the same problem.

For women who've lost weight, how long/how much weight did it take to notice a loss in that area. I went from 130 and a 36C to 224 and a 38G. I'm currently 202, and my bra actually feels smaller in the actual breast area, though not the band in the last week or so (and no, period is not anytime soon).

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked the veracity, but my extreme weight loss buddies mention that our fat cells also store surplus hormones. As the fat goes, there are more hormones floating around.

Myself, the breasts are deflating.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I haven't checked the veracity, but my extreme weight loss buddies mention that our fat cells also store surplus hormones. As the fat goes, there are more hormones floating around.

Myself, the breasts are deflating.

Yep. Estrogen is fat soluble and stored in fat. However, I've never heard of weight loss causing such and increase in hormones that if increases bra size significantly.

If things don't seem to normalize soon or if they seem more asymmetrical than usual (everyone is always asymmetrical to some degree), check with your doctor.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My breast tissue is the same size. I just lost the fat around it. I'm pear shaped and my weight comes off the top first, so I saw my boobs get smaller quite quickly. You might want to check if your band size has changed. My cup size has only dropped one size (c/d to b/c) but my band has gone down 14 inches (50 to 36). I have some 34C bras that fit fine around but my boobs pour out of the cups.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I envy your problem. My band size is smaller, and while I'm still a 'd' they are essentially floppy skin bags now.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have lost 78 lbs and my bras fit me the same as they did before. My boobs haven't gone down at all, and I'm a 38g so I'd be happy to go down a cup size or two! Best hope is to keep losing weight I suppose! Otherwise, if they are growing, is pregnancy a possibility?
  • TheMicheleLea
    TheMicheleLea Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I recently lost 15 pounds, but I still have five to go to get back to where I was before I gained weight on Celexa. I've noticed my boobs aren't losing either. Normally I would be able to wear my old bras on a five pound gain. It's frustrating. I'm 5' 3" and at 125 pounds. I feel like I should not be hanging out of D cups! Looking forward to hearing more answers.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Give it time. I didn't loose my boobs until my last 15 pounds.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've lost roughly 25-30 cm from trunc (below bra). Boobs are slightly smaller, but same cup size. I notice that many pear shaped women lost weight fast from upper body, including bust, before hip area. I'm apple shape and now 3-4 lbs from goal. So the biggest percentage in cm of my fat loss has been from tummy and back.

Maybe this is all genes, I don't know.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've never lost much in the past from there. They're rather sad looking (gravity and time suck). I've already gone down a band size, and that meant going up a cup size to hold them. I've lost 39 pounds. 50 to go.

I'll be interested to see as I lose my last 50 pounds whether being menopausal makes any difference with losing anything from them this time.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Your breast tissue is actually largely made up of lymphatic tissue, and is one of the more noticeable areas when your lymphatic system is carrying more fluid (which is normal during weight loss). This is especially true if you are wearing bras to bed, or are large chested so your daytime bra band has to hold more tightly to your chest. Also, if your estrogen levels are running higher, the lymphatic tissue in your breasts will swell. How much depends on the person, but this is why your breasts change size slightly through your monthly cycle. There are a couple things you can do to help. Drinking lots of water, eating lots of fiber (excess estrogen is actually disposed of in the gut, and needs fiber to help hold on to it), staying away from hormone treated milk/meat and high phytoestrogen plants like soy to reduce dietary estrogen, not sleeping in a bra, and massaging the breast tissue and up into the armpit to help encourage the flow of lymphatic fluid out of the breast when you take your bra off at the end of the day. Unfortunately, women who had breast reductions once often find that they have to have another later (like after pregnancy) because their breasts genuinely tend to just grow and stay that way.