What else can I reward myself with?

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Soon I can reward myself by using the ignore feature again and it's going to be AWESOME!!! :p

Maybe better than the new socks I'm currently wearing.... naw, probably not that cool, but pretty damn awesome. B)

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    msty112 wrote: »
    ^^ you obviously don't get the struggle not to have food in certain moments...
    I'm saying why do people feel the need to reward themselves for doing something they should have been doing all along? We are all in this struggle to lose weight because we were bad to ourselves and let ourselves live an unhealthy lifestyle and become overweight. I think it is an unhealthy mind set to think "I ate healthy today and exercised, I deserve something in return". It should just be part of your life.

Do you reward yourself for showering in the morning or brushing your teeth? No, it's just a part of taking care of yourself. Just like healthy eating and exercise should be.

Not everybody gets fat by being lazy or having bad habits.

Thanks for the assumption though. :(
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    -Buy something you have been wanting...either go shopping or just order online if you're short of time. Can be little things or something big if you have done something especially great
    Sometimes if I am planning on making a large purchase down the road...electronics, for example...I will reward myself for little things by taking some time to research what I want to buy.
    -Treat yourself to a massage- also great for stress, relieving sore muscles, etc.
    -Call a friend
    -Watch something on TV...I limit TV, so it is always a treat for me. Movies can be as well
    -Meet a friend for some coffee or a movie
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like to buy "rewards" that help me progress towards the next goal. One reward was getting a Fitbit. Another reward was picking up some weights to use at home. Another reward was buying the Power90 program.

I feel like I "earned" something cool and it will ultimately help me on my journey.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    msty112 wrote: »
    ^^ you obviously don't get the struggle not to have food in certain moments...
    I'm saying why do people feel the need to reward themselves for doing something they should have been doing all along? We are all in this struggle to lose weight because we were bad to ourselves and let ourselves live an unhealthy lifestyle and become overweight. I think it is an unhealthy mind set to think "I ate healthy today and exercised, I deserve something in return". It should just be part of your life.

Do you reward yourself for showering in the morning or brushing your teeth? No, it's just a part of taking care of yourself. Just like healthy eating and exercise should be.

Not everybody gets fat by being lazy or having bad habits.

Thanks for the assumption though. :(
    I'm not trying to get into an argument. I just stated my opinion on the matter.

Weight gain is caused by eating more calories than your body is burning. It's pretty plain and simple. There are other factors that can contribute, medications, illness ect.
  • cnoonannurse
    cnoonannurse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I buy myself perfume, or do "service" rewards like a facial, or mani/pedi...otherwise I would default to a Starbucks coffee (and that, my friends would be sabotage)!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hot sex

She said she only had 10 minutes. And it might be awkward at work.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    New clothes. I just bought some swimwear a few minutes ago.

The rush when you improve time / increase your reps is good when I don't have any spending money. :p
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Flowers are nice. This week I bought myself some flowers to celebrate one year without smoking.
  • jlgregory13
    jlgregory13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i'm going to use shoes as my reward.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are taking Msty112's thoughts a bit too personally. She isn't saying you don't deserve your rewards, she is saying that the reward for loosing weight is not the nice things. The reward for sticking to your diet and loosing weight is the feeling good about yourself. I happen to agree with her. The mind set that you have to earn nice things for yourself as payment for sticking to a plan just isn't logical thinking.

As for the nice things, be it a new outfit or shoes or spa day a bubble bath or a book, or whatever.... you should be giving those things to yourself as gifts, not as bribes. Not because you earned them, but because you deserve to feel good and be happy and have things you enjoy. (Of course all within the limits set by your means of living).

Look at it in terms of self care. You deserve to be loved by you. You deserve to have nice things and treats, things that you do just for you. Now yes of course there are things you need to do in order to have those things. For instance you deserve to have a healthy body that you feel good about. So you work on your diet. The reward is that you get the healthy body that you feel good about. You should not have to work for your own self approval. THAT is what Msty is trying to say. I think. Anyway that's how I look at it.

Maybe not everyone is able to see things from this point of view. That's okay. No need to take offense or name call or "threaten" to block people for sharing their thoughts. OTOH if someone challenges you to think about an idea a little differently it might not hurt to be open to at least giving it some thought before you toss it out the window.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,896 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has provided constructive feed back about some things to replace food. :) It's a hard habit to break as food has always been the go to for celebration, stress, etc., but I'm working on it! For those of you who don't ever need to reward yourself because being healthy is all it takes, and you never want or have anything to celebrate in your life, well, let's just say we're different and more power to ya!

Maybe it would help if you gave an example of what you might reward yourself for.

The things I celebrate don't happen all that frequently ... it may be years before the next such celebration comes along ...

-- new job
    -- graduate from most recent diploma or degree
    -- ride a 1200K randonnee

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are taking Msty112's thoughts a bit too personally. She isn't saying you don't deserve your rewards, she is saying that the reward for losing weight is not the nice things. The reward for sticking to your diet and losing weight is the feeling good about yourself. I happen to agree with her. The mind set that you have to earn nice things for yourself as payment for sticking to a plan just isn't logical thinking.

As for the nice things, be it a new outfit or shoes or spa day a bubble bath or a book, or whatever.... you should be giving those things to yourself as gifts, not as bribes. Not because you earned them, but because you deserve to feel good and be happy and have things you enjoy. (Of course all within the limits set by your means of living).

Look at it in terms of self care. You deserve to be loved by you. You deserve to have nice things and treats, things that you do just for you. Now yes of course there are things you need to do in order to have those things. For instance you deserve to have a healthy body that you feel good about. So you work on your diet. The reward is that you get the healthy body that you feel good about. You should not have to work for your own self approval. THAT is what Msty is trying to say. I think. Anyway that's how I look at it.

Maybe not everyone is able to see things from this point of view. That's okay. No need to take offense or name call or "threaten" to block people for sharing their thoughts. OTOH if someone challenges you to think about an idea a little differently it might not hurt to be open to at least giving it some thought before you toss it out the window.

Oh now we're using the word 'bribes'? :D sheesh... the OP asked a simple question and we shared what we enjoy using/doing/picking up for feeling good about ourselves. If that's a bribe... who exactly am I bribing? smh

Perhaps it's you that is putting too much thought into this... I will respond for myself.. I eat healthy more often than not.. I love pretty things and got socks the other day. Not because I ate well or worked out but because they were on sale, so pretty and needed socks and new underwear. So that's why my suggestion for socks etc..

Wow, this does not need to be dissected so deeply.. some of us shared things we enjoy ......the end. Why does anyone feel the need for sides (btw..who's taking sides anyhow?) lol

If you don't wanna buy socks, workout gear or whatever then so be it. I don't eat a certain meal and then run right out to buy new shoes because I ate all my veggies. ;)

I think adding the terms 'bribes and threat's is comical and over the edge a bit
    ...... you do you and we do what we do. Pretty much sums it up.

I think in the end we're all pretty much saying the same things... enjoy a nice book, candle, a nice calming bubble bath. I call them a reward for being good to yourself and I feel good when I do it... and that's now a bribe? This is silly.....

How about we all agree to disagree on terminology..and just let it go at that. I really do think we're all saying the same thing. When a person starts out they set goals and some use enjoyable items or time in park etc. after meeting that goal. What on earth does any of this have to do with bribes?

oh and how nice of you to try and interpret what you 'feel' misty was posting or what you guessed she was. She shared as she did, so why does it need to be interpreted and why the need to explain what you think she meant?

and yes, I am looking forward to the block feature, many of us are looking forward to that coming back for numerous reasons.

I hadn't realized ppl felt threatened when they were blocked on the forum. Interesting..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Geez Louise. Lots of people are motivated by rewards/celebration. I'm one of them. It could be a "participation" ribbon, swag of any sort, or a silly stress ball.

OP, do you reward yourself by getting away or by being with people? I go for introverted rewards. It might include a bubble bath. When I experience a success I talk about it, maybe blog about it. This extends the memory and the pleasure.

How about a diary?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another relaxation reward is deep breathing or mindful meditation.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Here's mine...

// Non-Food Rewards //
    ✓ 190 // Ipsy Subscription
    ✓ 185 // Earrings
    ✓ {{ Overweight BMI }}
    ✓ 180 // B&BW Lotion
    ✓ 175 // Ralph Lauren Romance (Thanks Lis!)
    ✓ 170 // Pedicure
    ✓ {{ Half Way Mark }}
    ✓ 165 // 90 Minute Massage
    ✓ 160 // Pedicure & Manicure
    155 // Haircut
    {{ Normal BMI }}
    150 // Spa Day
    145 // New Shoes & Clothes

// Maintain for 6 months //
    Photo shoot with full hair and makeup.

// Maintain for 12 months //
    Weekend trip with DH (sans kids)

This has not been a speedy process for me. I just averaged it out and so far I've been losing at a rate of just under 4.5 pounds per month. I "earn" a reward every 6 weeks or so. I had been wobbling around the 167-164 range for like 2 months actually, so some of the earlier rewards that were smaller we earned pretty quickly.

If I can hit my goal weight by my birthday this year that means I could potentially have a weekend trip with DH for my 35th birthday! :laugh:
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you're used to bubbling yourself along with food and drink, you can change the foods you treat yourself with. A nice helping of fresh fruit tastes as wonderful as the most calorific dessert, and it's full of nutrients. A slice of cantaloupe, a bowl of berries, a fresh peach, a crunchy apple, a bowl of fresh pineapple. Put it in a lovely bowl or on a beautiful plate, and take the time to really enjoy it.

There are lots of wonderful teas out there that have no calories. Sparkling water or iced tea with a twist of lemon or lime hits the spot in the summertime.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,896 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Geez Louise. Lots of people are motivated by rewards/celebration. I'm one of them.

But for what? The part I'm confused about is ... what are people rewarding themselves for?

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Geez Louise. Lots of people are motivated by rewards/celebration. I'm one of them.

But for what? The part I'm confused about is ... what are people rewarding themselves for?

I gather the OP was wanting compensation/treats for stress and celebrations/good news.