Please Helppp!

Options
Alright Y'all!
I need friends to for motivation. My goal is to lose at least 50 pounds and this is going to be one Hell of a challenge. So any motivation or advice is welcome!

Replies

• darcelchoy
    darcelchoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That's my goal as well. Just remember once you set your mind to it it's possible and don't beat yourself up if you fall off a bit, just get back on it.
  • eoakland
    eoakland Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been a member for some yrs but never stick to it, but if you want to help each other out i''m up for the challenge lets get this weight off for good.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    My advice ...

Use the tools MFP provides. Enter your information into MFP's profile and goals. Select a goal weekly weight loss that suits you. MFP will give you a maximum number of calories.

Weigh and log EVERYTHING you eat and drink. The first few days you might go over your max calories while you're sorting things out, but after a few days, focus on keeping your calories consumed below your max calories.

Explore the grocery store ... find low cal food. It is out there! My diet has expanded since I've been here. I used to eat the same old things all the time, now I'm exploring and finding new stuff. For example, check out the Asian markets and fresh fruit and veg markets in your area. You never know what you'll find.

Think about what you're eating. If you've only got a few calories to work with, do you really want the sugar-y thing with lots of calories which does not have any staying power and will leave you hungry again in 30 min ... or might you go for something more filling which will leave you feeling relatively full (you'll never be entirely full) for a couple hours?

Feeling slightly empty all the time is OK.

Get some exercise every day. But be aware that MFP over-estimates the calories burned for many exercises. A brisk walk will likely only burn 200 cal/hour. A bicycle ride will burn about 100 cal for every 5 km. It is good to under-estimate the amount you're burning doing stuff like that.

Be more active in general ... but don't count things like getting up and walk around the office once an hour, 15 min of housework, going grocery shopping, and stuff like that. Sure you're burning a little bit more than you would if you just sat on the sofa, but it isn't much. Anything extra you burn doing that sort of thing will be bonus calories burned.

Eat only some of your calories burned through exercise, not all of them.

And finally ... stick with it. You'll go a week or two every now and then where the scale will not budge. Just keep doing what you're doing. Don't give up. If you feel you must do something more, go for extra walks and re-evalute your weighing and logging to ensure you're weighing and logging everything.

• makenziejensvold
    makenziejensvold Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank all of y'all so much! I'm ready to get my butt in gear!
  • MalcolmMhaonaigh
    MalcolmMhaonaigh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would advise you to get into a routine and stick to it. Pick a time of day, the same time every day for excercise. The best time to excercise to loose weight is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, only have water. That way your body burns off your fat reserves. Start with just a 20min gentle walk and build up over several weeks to a 30 min brisk walk. When you feel ready increase your speed and duration. Take it steady but push yourself as much as feels comfortable. You will feel yourself getting fitter. Stick with it, don't be tempted to miss a routine. That coupled with a healthy diet will help you loose weight and achieve your goals. Keep a record and reward yourself every so often. You can do it! Good luck! Keep us updated with progress!
  • lonerockz
    lonerockz Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There are lots of ways to use MFP and be successful. It's really a training tool to get you used to see what a normal portion looks like. Before I started with it I had no idea that my lunch might be 1000 calories, and dinner was 1500. Now I know when I look at something what it is likely to be. Keep in mind that it is your body what works for one member on here, may not work for you. Some might say high protein. Some might say reduce fat. Those might work for you, or they might not. You'll find out what works!

Welcome aboard!