Just got a food scale!

Options
NaomiBusler
NaomiBusler Posts: 26 Member
So, I just got an old food scale that my parents never use and actually kinda excited to use it! Anyone got tips on how?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Great! What do you mean tips on how to use it? Turn it on, put food on it. If it has a tare button you can put a bowl on it first then tare it to zero before you add food, and tare it between adding ingredients as well. Oz for meat but grams for basically everything else.
  • NaomiBusler
    Options
    Like, before or after cooking? How do I use it properly with this app? I understand it's probably needed for home cooking, but why does everyone say it's a necessity?
  • arditarose
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Like, before or after cooking? How do I use it properly with this app? I understand it's probably needed for home cooking, but why does everyone say it's a necessity?

Because food servings are given by weight. If you don't weigh it, how do you know how much you really had? It's best to weigh most things before cooking, but if you do weigh a piece of chicken after it's cooked-just search for it properly in the data based. For example, if it's grilled you'd search something like "chicken grilled", and enter the weight.
  • NaomiBusler
    Options
    Oh ok! That's pretty important. I've been doing serving sizes by cups (volume) so that's a big difference!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh ok! That's pretty important. I've been doing serving sizes by cups (volume) so that's a big difference!

A lot of us do when we first start. I lost by eyeballing at first and using cups, but I had more to lose then and more wiggle room in my deficit. The more you lose, the less room for error in your logging. Might as well start now though because the more you weigh, the more you become really aware of what you are eating and it's great to be in control. Also, going out to dinner or potlucks and being able to eyeball in GRAMS is a great thing.
  • NaomiBusler
    Options
    Yeah I was wondering how to do it at restaurants. How do you get to just eyeballing grams like that?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yeah I was wondering how to do it at restaurants. How do you get to just eyeballing grams like that?

Eh just from weighing everything on the scale so much. You get a better idea, especially with foods you eat often. I mean I've weighed 50 grams of tomato and 142 grams of brown rice countless times.
  • arditarose
    Options

Just from using the scale so much! You'll be really happy you started, don't worry.

Also, try to look for entries in MFP that aren't generic, that is they don't have an asterisk next to them. It can be tricky sometimes.
  • NaomiBusler
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help!!!! Is it cool if I add you as a friend?! You seem really knowledgable and supportive!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help!!!! Is it cool if I add you as a friend?! You seem really knowledgable and supportive!

sure thing