Running and Weight Loss

Options
So I've been running for about a year and have been very successful in completing not one but two half marathons back in March. Starting June I need to get back on marathon training and retrain for a couple halfs and a full in December. My problem is this. I run a couple short 3-4 miles runs during the work week, and a long run on Saturday mornings which distance varies. I've noticed I'm always hungry because I'm running a lot, and alternating strength training the other days. What are some ways/motivation tips that will help me not to just eat ANYTHING and eat enough so I do lose the inches around my mid section but still be healthy? I do eat 5 small meals per day btw.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Do you eat will you are running? Some people find that if the replace about 20%-30% of the calories they burn during a run while they are running, they don't feel as much of a desire to eat everything in sight afterward.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    No I don't because I'll probably fall or trip lol If I do use anything during runs, I'll use a GU gel. I always drink water and will get Gatoraide at stations on runs.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Work your calorie intake up SLOWLY with a reverse diet. It works great. The trick is to increase your intake by little bits so you minimize any gains in body fat. I did it recently and took my maintenance calorie level from 2000 to 3200 calories/day from July to February.

Here, check this video out: www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Training for races and attempting to lose weight at the same time doesn't really work. You are weakening your body with a calorie deficit and demanding more performance at the same time.

I would suggest you eat at maintenance while race training. You might lose some weight even without trying due to the huge amount of calories you will be burning.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No I don't because I'll probably fall or trip lol If I do use anything during runs, I'll use a GU gel. I always drink water and will get Gatoraide at stations on runs.

I wouldn't expect that you would need to do more than that.