Running For Weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    120 is underweight at 5'7. You may have body dysmorphia and want to talk to a therapist, as you don't need to lose weight.

If what's going on is that you know you aren't overweight and are thin enough but still are not happy with your body, you may well want to try some other ways to improve your fitness, like strength training. At your weight, though, you'd want to do that while eating at maintenance or even a bit of a surplus, as that's how to put on muscle. What you really, really would not want to do is have a really aggressive deficit and exercise on top of it, as it's basically guaranteeing that a lot of what you do lose will be muscle, so you probably won't end up addressing the issues you want to.

I really do think you should talk to someone, though, as I can't imagine that you are seeing yourself realistically from what you've said.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Running is hard to beat. I can knock out 1,000 calories in a bit under an hour. Not much else will do that in such a short time frame, right?
    That's damn unlikely for the OP.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1) Running is awesome if you love doing it. Losing weight is a good goal. Running does not cause you to lose weight, eating less calories than you burn does. So, run if you love it, exercise if you love it, but do not expect it to have some magic affect on the scale.

2) I've been 5'-7" since I was 12, have always had "large" thighs and butt, hovered around 125-135 during high school and college, and always thought I was fat. I played softball and volleyball, and joined ROTC when I was in college (lots of running & sprinting in PT, but plenty of other bodyweight & strength training.) Let me tell you, I was not fat. Looking back on those pictures of me from 10-15 years ago, I was damn hot with all my solid curves and large chest. I always compared myself to my sister, a long distance runner who was 5'-0" 100lbs. That's not me, and it took me a decade, a couple of kids, and 100+lbs to realize it. I was athletic and bootylicious (if you like your booty pale and freckled anyway!) And I'm working on getting back to that, very slowly.

I think that exercising is very important to get the body you want, but it takes a lot of hard work, and you need to figure out what you want. You may need to incorporate strength training into your day and reshape your body, rather than "lose weight". And that will take a lot longer than 1 month. It will have to be something that you commit to, and there are plenty of stickies in this forum to help.

Good luck!