Calorie question

Options
Hey all. I'm male 6'0 234 pounds looking to get to 190. I use an elliptical 6 days a week for 45 min and average about 490 calories burned. I also walk my dog a mile a day for another 130 calories burned on average. I use my fitness app and even have a scal to properly weigh chicken meat etc. now my question is do I eat all my "remaining calories" per my fitness app? My allowance is 1820. Today I consumed 1800 calories whom burning 504 calories with 524 remainging. What do I do with those 524. I usually got to bed with 400-500 left. Is that healthy? Help me lose weight or do I need to consume those as well. If I'm hungry I eat but if not I don't bother

Thanks

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're asking if you should be eating back your exercise calories. A lot of us eat back about 50%. But that's really a generalization. A lot depends on how you have your MFP set up. Have you checked your TDEE? You might do better with that. (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)
  • Azrrt
    Azrrt Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok my TDEE shows me at 3736. I'm not even close to that. Today I'm at 1800 consumed which is 20 below my goal with 504 burned. I understand the 3736 is to maintain weight but even losing weight that seems like a huge deificit
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you got the TDEE number, it doesn't look right. It probably won't hurt you to do what you've been doing because 1800 calories is probably giving you a 500 calorie deficit. A person your size can handle a larger deficit.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~2200 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.
  • Azrrt
    Azrrt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you got the TDEE number, it doesn't look right. It probably won't hurt you to do what you've been doing because 1800 calories is probably giving you a 500 calorie deficit. A person your size can handle a larger deficit.

Ok I'm just going with what the app says. Of course this site gave me something different so who knows