Workouts Post Surgery

Options
having ACL and MCL surgery. Need in-place cardio, arms, and abs exercises for the first few weeks post surgery.

Replies

• bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Good question alexia, I've also been thinking about this, currently laying here with triple fractures to left hand tibula and fibula, need to do something.
    Can I ask what ACL and MCL are.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When I broke my leg last fall and was immobilized for six weeks, I did workouts at home - upper body, for example, so I wouldn't stress the part in a cast. I did chair Zumba as well for some cardio. It's difficult but you can do things like push ups and crunches without using your legs.
  • AlexiaP13
    AlexiaP13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bladebiker wrote: »
    Good question alexia, I've also been thinking about this, currently laying here with triple fractures to left hand tibula and fibula, need to do something.
    Can I ask what ACL and MCL are.

The ACL and MCL are on the inside and outside of your knee, they keep the kneecap in place. I tore them both.
    You say you hurt your hand...your still able to run correct? Because cardio and any ab or leg work would be good for your situation.
  • AlexiaP13
    Options
    When I broke my leg last fall and was immobilized for six weeks, I did workouts at home - upper body, for example, so I wouldn't stress the part in a cast. I did chair Zumba as well for some cardio. It's difficult but you can do things like push ups and crunches without using your legs.

Chair ZUMBA?? Where can I find that at?
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I had my ACL surgery, I didn't feel like doing anything the first couple weeks post-surgery. Focus on recovery first, it will take a lot of your energy.
  • AlexiaP13
    Options
    epawelek wrote: »
    When I had my ACL surgery, I didn't feel like doing anything the first couple weeks post-surgery. Focus on recovery first, it will take a lot of your energy.

I'm worried I'll gain all my weight back/lose all my muscle. I want to maintain mostly and I'm nervous.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    AlexiaP13 wrote: »
    epawelek wrote: »

I'm worried I'll gain all my weight back/lose all my muscle. I want to maintain mostly and I'm nervous.

I lost quite a bit of muscle in the leg that I had the surgery on because my doctor had me in one of those straight leg splints for a couple weeks when I was up moving around. And I was on crutches not allowed to put weight on that leg for a couple weeks as well.

I'm sure you will have to go to a physical therapist afterwards to regain mobility in your knee, so talk to them about this. They probably have exercises that you can do to maintain muscle while in recovery. I hope everything goes well!
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No my leg, left hand tibula and fibula have multiple fractures I'm currently laid up right now with two metal poles going down through my knee to my ankle. I almost lost the lower part of my leg.