Collard Greens

Options
TheDevastator
TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
I just bought these at the co-op for the first time. What are your favorite ways to prepare these?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Baked in an oven: Roasted Collard Greens
    http://something-ivory.blogspot.com/2013/01/roasted-collard-greens.html
    Turn your oven to 425 degrees
    Toss your collard greens in a baking pan with olive oil, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste (I use my hands and really massage the olive oil into the greens)

Roast for 8-10 minutes, stirring once (and be careful not to let them burn)
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse them a lot. The last batch I made still had a little sand.... :o
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Clean them well... And add smoked meat, sugar, a little vinegar and simmer.
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like Alton Brown's Pot O' Greens.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to throw a little olive oil in the pan, add them in with a little salt and sautee them. When they cook down a little bit, I pour some chicken broth in and cook them down until they get softer. YUM
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Clean them well... And add smoked meat, sugar, a little vinegar and simmer.

/end thread

I throw uncooked bacon strips in with mine instead of smoked meat sometimes too. Some pepper sauce goes well with them too after they get done simmering all day!
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cook them in water for a few minutes, add some vinegar, swish it round, then drain, add fresh water and continue to cook until done. This takes the bitterness out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Simmering in water for a while with some vinegar and some sort of pork is what I've traditionally done, but I recently discovered Brazilian collard greens, where you just sautee in some garlic and olive oil (and I may have added onions too). Faster and although I was skeptical, extremely tasty.

• sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sukuma Wiki

*This* is just amazing. I kept some of this in the fridge for quick warm up meals most of the winter. It is spicy, but really filling. You can also substitute the collards for kale or spinach if you prefer.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    jrosto wrote: »
    I like Alton Brown's Pot O' Greens.

YUMMY! I usually make mine with a ham hock, but will try the turkey leg. I like Alton Brown so this should be good.
  • skinnygirljunk
    skinnygirljunk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat them raw mixed with arugula or kale with some unfiltered cider vinegar, olive oil and some cumin seeds for a nice crunch.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good ideas and recipes. They sound really good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Collards are my favorite green. Best way for me is just to sauté them lightly in olive oil and garlic for about 5 min or less. Just until they are soft and still bright green. A little beet relish on top is divine!

I also like to add them to salads, soups, pasta sauces, and sandwiches.
  • qkcam
    qkcam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i love etheopian greens although i have no idea how to make them.. i believe it is called Gomen
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I cook them without any meat. I love meat, just not in my greens.

I clean them well, remove the biggest part of the stems, chop, add some sliced onion, water, salt and red pepper flakes and let them cook until tender.

Everyone always goes for seconds.