Waking up super hungry?

2»

Replies

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Snacking at night is hard because it's usually a huge struggle to save my calories after lunch, if I didn't need to watch myself I could definitely eat 400 calorie mid afternoon snack and a 500 calorie dinner and a 300 calorie late night snack before bed but I simply can't afford it calorically

This is actually quite close to what I do each day so that I am not hungry in the middle of the night. 300-350 cal breakfast, 400 cal lunch, 350 cal afternoon snack, 400-500 cal dinner and 200 cal snack before bed. My snack before bed is 1/2 cup cottage cheese with tbsp of natural peanut butter (much yummier than it sounds). The slow digesting protein and fat help me not wake up in the night hungry anymore. I used to have a smaller snack in the morning and afternoon, but now I would rather backload my calories because I can deal with hunger better at 10 am than 10 pm.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Lol at eating before bed being a bad idea, it's basically in our DNA to eat late on in the day, it helps with sleep usually. I have four moderately sized meals during the day and a larger one late on before getting into bed. I do this with carb back loading by the way. It works very well for me, google it and see if it appeals to you at all. Different things work for different people, I think it's clear you need to try something different. Fats, carbs and protein before bed should help with overnight hunger. No promises though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I am lightly active, and I do various cardio for one to one and a half hours most days. Typically running, elliptical or stationary biking as well as light calisthenics.

I recently gained 10 pounds after starting birth control and eating slightly over 2000 calories a day for a couple months with reduced exercise, so I'm trying to get back to that point.

Thank you all again for taking the time to give me suggestions! I probably need to cut my carb intake and increase my protein and healthy fat intake.

OK but this doesn't really answer why your goal weight is clinically underweight does it
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Have you tried having a snack right before bed?

a bad idea

Care to explain why?

Some people say it is a bad idea because you don't feel like you've eaten, since you are asleep during the time it fills your stomach, so it can lead to overeating. I'm not sure that applies when someone is waking up in the middle of the night because they are hungry.

That's even more ridiculous than the answer I was anticipating from the person who posted it.

Personally, I've never worried about eating late at night because I'm not going to eat more than my calorie goal, no matter how hungry I am. But I can see where this might be something worth considering for people who are controlling their weight without counting calories.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm only an inch taller than you and I've been 110lbs, although not purposefully. It is too thin. If you feel like you look flabby it's because you have too much body fat and not enough muscle, not because your weight is high. You need to start eating at maintenance and lifting to build muscle.

I posted a pic which shows that sometimes you can look better gaining weight instead of losing, because your body composition has changed. (This isn't me, it's a photo I got off the internet)2abtywi0pzhl.jpg