Preparing for high intensity exercise?

Options
So I attempted to do a 20 mile cycle ride in one hit yesterday morning and glad to say completed it in 95mins. I realise this may not be a lot for some but was quite an accomplishment for me!

Down side to this was that I was absolutely knackered for the rest of the day and it gave me a major headache which I'm certain was the result of dehydration. The only way I could recover was to eat a shed load of food and to have a nap late afternoon.

Prior to exercise I had about 500ml of water and my normal breakfast of granola and yoghurt (500cals). This fills me up to the point where I feel I can't physically cram any more food in me and I'd gone about 700cals the night before so thought I'd be ok.

My calorie burn for the ride was 1249 as measured by my HRM.

I'm sure there must be a way for this kind of activity not to be so intrusive on my day but don't really know where to start. What do you do to prepare?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You should build up slowly and progressively.
    Sounds like you have jumped straight in the deep end!

A carby meal an hour before riding is perfect.

You shouldn't need to eat while riding for rides less than two hours but you should certainly be drinking as you cycle. Plain water is fine for shorter rides but if you sweat heavily then a sports drink with electrolytes makes sense.

Beware that you aren't always aware how much you are sweating on a bike as the airflow dries it very quickly. Might be worth borrowing a trick from professional sportsmen of weighing before and after the ride to judge how much you are dehydrated.

Can't comment on your calorie burn as know nothing about you, your bike, terrain etc. etc.

My routine for rides less than 2 hours is just making sure I'm hydrated. But I cycle a lot so 2 hours isn't anything special and no recovery required.

Over 2 hours I will have a carby meal beforehand and consume approx 60g of carbs an hour (from both liquid and solid sources). The warmer the weather or for faster rides the more I will be concerned with electrolytes and fluid intake.
    For intense rides 3hrs or so or 4hr+ steady rides I will make sure part of my recovery nutrition includes a good amount of protein.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think you need to build up slowly. Start by finding a 10 mile route and get used to that then increase your distance or average speed. I took up Road Cycling in March this year after having been a runner for the previous 6 years. I started with 14 miles and now my short route is 20.4 miles in 79 mins which is an average of 15mph. My aim is to increase my mph to that of my partner (seasoned cyclist) of 17.5 mph by the end of next summer. I eat normally if doing this route or less and stop for a snack and have a bigger pre cycle meal if I am going longer than 30 miles. Don't push yourself so hard you end up hating it, take your time and enjoy the ride...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    cokefloat1 wrote: »
    So I attempted to do a 20 mile cycle ride in one hit yesterday morning and glad to say completed it in 95mins. I realise this may not be a lot for some but was quite an accomplishment for me!

Down side to this was that I was absolutely knackered for the rest of the day and it gave me a major headache which I'm certain was the result of dehydration. The only way I could recover was to eat a shed load of food and to have a nap late afternoon.

Prior to exercise I had about 500ml of water and my normal breakfast of granola and yoghurt (500cals). This fills me up to the point where I feel I can't physically cram any more food in me and I'd gone about 700cals the night before so thought I'd be ok.

I'm sure there must be a way for this kind of activity not to be so intrusive on my day but don't really know where to start. What do you do to prepare?

If you're going to continue riding, don't be afraid of short term water weight gains. Glycogen storage in the muscles requires accompanying water. Trust in CICO and accept that the scale will send contradictory signals.

On the bike, bring water and/or a sports beverage. Taking in liquid calories during the ride can be easier than trying to eat and pedal for some. Be sure to track those calories. Stay hydrated.

After the ride ... there is nothing wrong with a nap. Sometimes the body needs rest when exerting yourself more than you're used to.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    cokefloat1 wrote: »

I think a lot of it just comes down to your body adapting. Having more cals/fluids during the ride will certainly help, but if it's the first time you've done something that long, then there is only so much you can do - it's going to be hard on your body regardless.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I usually just eat regularly and have a banana before the ride. Like everyone else already mentioned, make sure you're replacing your fluids. If you're on the bike for more than 90 minutes consider replacing water with Gatorade or something like it.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Contrary to others, I don't load up on carbs for a training run or ride. Before a 13km run/70ish minutes yesterday I did have a banana sure, and a tiny piece of banana bread, but this did not fuel the 1,100 calorie burn. I want my body to use stored fuel I already have... Fat stores.

Afterward try 1% chocolate milk. It has a good mix of nutrients, protein and carbs, and is a fairly ideal and low cost replenishing drink. One cup or a small box is great.

Carb loading has a place... in racing. Training, especially if you are also aiming for weight loss, not as much.

You will build endurance and over time won't feel so knackered after a good long ride. Hydrate well along the way and don't forget your sunscreen!

Good job on your ride!
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all.

Just to answer a few questions not that I think it would make any difference to the comments but I cycle on average 6 miles a day so I didn't think 20 miles would be an issue.

I did a pre and post ride weigh in and lost 2lbs so assume that this was all fluid either in sweat or breath.

I'm not fussed about short term weight gains. I've half given up on weighing myself as it seems to be all over the place at the moment but I'm definitely losing fat and gaining muscle definition so I don't really care!

I think something along the ride would probably be a good idea in terms of liquid calories.

Unfortunately I have issues with anything milk related which from what I understand is very good at rehydrating :-(

@Jules, I don't think I could ever fall out of love with cycling however much pain it causes me! Used to be a very keen cyclist but moving into London for a while stopped all of that. I love my life a little more!!!

The sunscreen comment made me laugh, I'm in the UK! Summer is trying to break through but not quite there at the moment!!!