Whats these exercises called and how do i log them

Options
Ok, So i normally do exercises that involves walking and gardening but yesterday i bought a 3lb dumbell..

I did some exercises but havent aclue what the exercises are called so that i can log them.

1....I stood upright with the dumbell in my left hand and bent to the left 30 times..... then did the same with it in the right hand and bent to the right. Whats it called?

2... i stood upright and with the dumbell in my right hand i twisted to the left 30 times and then did the same on the other side.. whats it called?

3.. Not involving the dumbell but i laid on the floor on my back doing these http://www.stack.com/exercise/3516/6inch-Leg-Raises/ I did 10 seconds and did 10 reps.... What name do they come as so i can log them on here

I did log the bicep curls i did using a dumbell but it hasnt shown as losing any calories should i have entered them on the cardio side and not the strengthening?

Sorry for all these questions but i am on a mission of distruction :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You should get a heart rate monitor, that way your burn would be more accurate then MFP. I bought one for only $60 and it works great, or you could get a higher end one, depending on your price range. And yes, when you log under strength it doesn't add any calories, as these exercises alone don't usually burn many calories by themselves. If you add in lunges or other calisthenic moves (crunches, jumping jacks), while you use the dumbbells, it will up your burn. Sorry I couldn't be more help, I don't know how to log just dumbbell exercises under cardio on MFP.
  • YorkiepuddingBird
    Options
    thanks for this.... seems i did al that exercise for nothing lol
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Ok, So i normally do exercises that involves walking and gardening but yesterday i bought a 3lb dumbell..

I did some exercises but havent aclue what the exercises are called so that i can log them.

1....I stood upright with the dumbell in my left hand and bent to the left 30 times..... then did the same with it in the right hand and bent to the right. Whats it called?

2... i stood upright and with the dumbell in my right hand i twisted to the left 30 times and then did the same on the other side.. whats it called?

3.. Not involving the dumbell but i laid on the floor on my back doing these http://www.stack.com/exercise/3516/6inch-Leg-Raises/ I did 10 seconds and did 10 reps.... What name do they come as so i can log them on here

I did log the bicep curls i did using a dumbell but it hasnt shown as losing any calories should i have entered them on the cardio side and not the strengthening?

Sorry for all these questions but i am on a mission of distruction :flowerforyou:

They're called "Side Bends" and "trunk twists".

I won't post my opinion of the exercise as I'll probably get skewered for it...:bigsmile:
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

No exercise is for nothing. I found that having DVD's really helps me, because I am too disorganized as a person to formulate my own routine, especially in an area I know nothing about (exercise). I use DVD's that incorporate strength and cardio so that I can lose weight and tone all those areas, that are so not toned ;) You can message me or friend me if you want to know the routines I do (I'm not posting that on the boards,because people get judgmental quickly). In the end you have to find something that you enjoy, that you can stick with, and that shows results.
  • andiroot
    andiroot Posts: 43
    Options
    Strength Training can be logged under Cardio, just be sure to be accurate. a HRM is the most accurate tool as we all do strength training at different rates
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options

No exercise is for nothing. Even if you can't log an exact calorie burn, your body doesn't check MFP before it reacts! LOL You get the actual effect of whatever you do to/with your body, never mind logging it. So go, girl!
  • YorkiepuddingBird
    Options

They're called "Side Bends" and "trunk twists".

I won't post my opinion of the exercise as I'll probably get skewered for it...:bigsmile:

OOOO now i am intrigued lol... I'm disabled so i'm limited to what exercise i can do.. unfortunately i cannot run upstairs for a pee haha x
  • YorkiepuddingBird
    Options
    Thanks everyone... i shall do whatever exercise i can xxx

What on earth would using a skipping rope come up as too? its not under SKIPPING???