Lost 5 pounds in 5 days. Can that be right?

Options
I'm in my 5th month of losing weight. The breakdown of the first 4 is like this:

month 1: 9.2 pounds
month 2: 7.2 pounds
month 3: 5.2 pounds
month 4: 5.6 pounds

I realize that weight loss is often more rapid at the start then tapers off. That's what happened in my case.

But suddenly in the last 5 days I lost 5 pounds. I can't believe that's right. My daily calorie limit is around 1650 and I've been eating 1500-1650 every day. I have the Eat Smart digital scale (the one that gets thousands of reviews on Amazon) and weigh myself daily at 5:30 - 6:00 am.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sometimes it happens and it is usually something to do with the water retention/release mechanism in our bodies. I would only worry if it continues, otherwise, enjoy the one time "whoosh". Also, don't be discouraged if you have a week or two with no loss following this.

I like that you are keeping monthly records and your trend looks totally normal to me.

one more thing: have you changed the batteries in your scale recently? You might need to and that is why it went goofy. If your scale is accurate, then everything I said above goes.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You'll hear 'weight loss isn't linear' a lot on here, you'll hear it for a very good reason. Nothing about this is predictable, just keep going and don't try and predict what's going to happen or you'll do your head in.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    > enjoy the one time "whoosh"

Love that!

I changed the scale batteries (4 AAA alkaline) just a few months ago. I doubt that's it but I can try another set.

Yes, weight loss isn't linear. But this seems WAY out of line. The opposite of a plateau, a cliff.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    > enjoy the one time "whoosh"

Love that!

I changed the scale batteries (4 AAA alkaline) just a few months ago. I doubt that's it but I can try another set.

Yes, weight loss isn't linear. But this seems WAY out of line. The opposite of a plateau, a cliff.

Probably "one of those things". The human body is weird and sometimes does a weird thing. I have to admit it is refreshing to hear someone concerned about losing too fast. I really don't think you need to worry unless it keeps up, then see your doctor.

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sometimes, you'll have a big drop in weight if you flush a bunch of fluid out of your system. If you've been doing it for a while, and things have been more of less steady, I'd go with it. Great job! You might consider upping your intake a bit though. 1650 calories is pretty low for a guy.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? The more you have to lose the quicker it comes off in the beginning generally.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound crazy to me. I've had it happen, typically after I stalled for a couple weeks.
  • sajero2
    sajero2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you have dumbbells or anything you know the real weight of that you can try weighing? I did that after my first weigh-in said I lost 5.6 pounds. I only have about 30 to lose and had never lost that much before, so I thought the scale was wrong. But I weighed two 8-pound dumbbells and it said 16 pounds exactly, so I just took those 5.6 as a great unexpected weigh-in!
  • emilychisek
    emilychisek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I retain water like crazy, even on water pills. My ankles swell two to three times their size. I can have a 5 pound loss/gain overnight. Literally.