30 minutes in the gym - what do you do?

You have 30 minutes in the gym.
Your aim is to lose weight.
what do you focus on - cardio or focus on weight training?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    10 mins cardio to warm up - 18 mins heavy lifting - compound lifts - 2 mins stretching - walk home
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    compound lifts?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited May 2015
    Cardio burns more calories; however, I get most of my cardio outside of the gym from walking. In the winter, though, if I can't walk, I might spend 20 minutes of cardio and 10 on core/ab work. If my focus is strength, I might do 10 minutes core, 10 minutes lower body (dead lifts, squats, lunges), ten minutes upper (triceps, biceps, shoulders, chest). You could alternate days -- one day, spend the bulk of the time on cardio, and the next on strength. You need the day of rest for muscle groups to recover.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Only weightlifting. No cardio at all.
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    I like my boot camp class.... it does both. I also bike to the gym (20-25 minutes both directions) then do my weight lifting (1/2 hour) and bike home.
  • amandaleigh89
    amandaleigh89 Posts: 11 Member
    I'd do 15 minutes of weights and 15 minutes of boxing.
    But for me boxing is the only cardio I ever do and my stress reliever. If I only have 30 minutes to work out I'm probably stressed out or overwhelmed and I need the stress relief.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Cardio. Burns more calories.
  • XXcookiepussXX
    XXcookiepussXX Posts: 19 Member
    15 mins cardio, 15-20 weights
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    I can do one compound lift and one accessory lift with it in a half hour of weight training. If I have spare time HIIT cardio.
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Cardio. Burns more calories.

Yeah true but you can also fit cardio throughout the whole day. Its very hard to do that with weight training.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    double post
  • Sued0nim
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    compound lifts?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Also see Strong Curves / New Rules of Lifting for Women / Ice Cream fitness etc
  • _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    I differ, I'd do the full 30 mins on Cardio. I usually do around 40 mins cardio at the gym, then a few weights to finish it up occasionally. Seems to be working for me!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I'd do an even split -- 15 minutes of cardio, 15 minutes of compound lifts or bodyweight exercises. Right now my gym days are 75 minutes/20 minutes/75/20/75 and on the 20 days I just do cardio, but if all you have is 30... make the most of it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    You have 30 minutes in the gym.
    Your aim is to lose weight.
    what do you focus on - cardio or focus on weight training?

I don't go to the gym to lose weight.

I go to the gym for health and fitness. So I do a warm up and than lift weights and a cool down.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    three days a week 5 minute cardio to warm up then weights. Other three days only cardio
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    If I only had 30 minutes for exercise, I would not bother going to the gym. I would go for a run.
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Squats - 2 light sets to warmup and 3 working sets
    Deadlifts - 3 workings sets
    Stretch.......
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Since my lunch hour was cut back, I usually go to the gym and run on the treadmill.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    On A days, I would do a 30 minute run. On B days, I would do a 5 minute warmup, then calisthenics or plyometrics.

But in reality, 30 minutes is really too short for most any effective routine. You should be looking for more an hour at the gym, otherwise, it's almost a waste.
  • Sued0nim
    On A days, I would do a 30 minute run. On B days, I would do a 5 minute warmup, then calisthenics or plyometrics.

But in reality, 30 minutes is really too short for most any effective routine. You should be looking for more an hour at the gym, otherwise, it's almost a waste.

disagree with that - compound lifts