I'm way under-eating and I don't know what to do?

Options
Yesterday I ate only 450 calories because all of my meals consisted of salads and a green smoothie. I feel like my food choices are healthy (I think) but my calories are way too low now that I'm want to go from 135 lbs to 115. I'm 5'7 and a teen. Today's meal plan consisted of 750 calories and my sugar was 60 because of all the fruit I like to eat. I have a lot of fat around my stomach and thighs and I want to lose it. I just started the Couch to 5k program. Do you think that will be enough to reach my goal of 115? I can't afford the gym pass right now, unfortunately but next month I may be able to.

Replies

• missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The tone of this post concerns me a little, to be honest. I too am 5'7 and 135 is my goal weight. I've been 110-115 like you want to be and it was TOO skinny. The fact that you're eating 450 cals and "obsessed" with getting to 115 is a red flag for a potential eating disorder.

Eat some calorie dense foods- peanut butter, oils, etc. You do NOT want to ruin your metabolism at such a young age.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    OK - first of all - 135 at 5'7" is not even close to fat or unhealthy. According to the BMI charts, you are nearly underweight. at 115 you will be severely underweight.

Eating too few calories will destroy your hormones and metabolism. Instead of trying to lose weight, why not eat a bunch more (2000 is my guess per day) and start weight lifting to improve muscle and reduce that "fat" you report having in your mid-section. You may gain weight...but will look smaller.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Step away from that ledge. Talk to your parents, school counselor, or an adult you trust.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you continue undereating at this level then your body is likely to take the energy it needs by breaking down your muscle along with your extra fat. So no, you're unlikely to get the body you want with this plan.

Eat more. Assuming no dietary restrictions you can add in lean meats, dairy, avocado, olive oil, Greek yogurt, cheese, dark chocolate, eggs, protein shakes, nuts, nut butters, salad dressing, etc. Your diary is closed, but it really shouldn't be hard to more than double your food intake with healthy foods.
  • czecher
    czecher Posts: 21
    Options
    Running is a good way to slim down - but what concerns me is your wanting to loose so much weight at your age. You are at a good weight now. If you are worried about the 'pudge', that is where exercise will help. Going to an extreme in eating will force your body into starvation mode and it will start to cannibalize your muscles for energy and may even cause your hair to start growing long and rapidly - sounds gross but it is your bodies way of protecting itself.

If you really feel the need to lose that weight, then you have to increase your calorie to the minimum required to sustain you. You should up the amount of protein you eat and YES you need to eat protein. Salads should be part of your diet, not all of your diet. I suggest adding CHIA to your menu in both drinks and food. That little seed does so much for your body.

You also need GOOD FAT. Put some avocado on a salad, or at the very least, take an OMEGA3 supplement. With low/restricted caloric intake and no good fats you are heading onto a slippery slope and it may start to impair your cognitive function and memory.

Good luck.

Wendty
  • ggloriaa
    ggloriaa Posts: 26
    Options
    I really just want my stomach pudge to go away. It makes me insecure when I'm in a bathing suit because I don't have a "flat or toned" stomach. Can I tighten and tone my body and lose the pudge without having to lose weight? Like one of you said, I checked my BMI and I'm not even close to overweight. Yet I still have all this extra fat. I went through a stage two months ago where I ate way too much ice cream and junk food (not in moderation) and I'm pretty sure I gained weight from that. I used to be like 125.

Thanks for support so far guys!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, real food. As in, a lot of protein and a calorie surplus of about 10%. And you need to lift heavy 3-5x per week. With what you are doing, you are not going to lose fat. Just more muscle. You will be skinny-fat, and will mess up your metabolism. You do what you want, but at your size I promise you will not see the results you want to see without gaining muscle. And you will not do that with cardio and a calorie deficit.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get rid of the infamous stomach pouch by dieting, hun. Working out... toning... and upping your calories with nutrient rich foods to support those changes is the way to go.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I really just want my stomach pudge to go away. It makes me insecure when I'm in a bathing suit because I don't have a "flat or toned" stomach. Can I tighten and tone my body and lose the pudge without having to lose weight? Like one of you said, I checked my BMI and I'm not even close to overweight. Yet I still have all this extra fat. I went through a stage two months ago where I ate way too much ice cream and junk food (not in moderation) and I'm pretty sure I gained weight from that. I used to be like 125.

Yes, you can! Depending on how old you are (if you're under 16 or so talk to your doc first please) I'd say try doing the new rules of lifting program. Not only will you get a rock hard body, but you'll be a freakin badass. You WILL have to eat enough to build muscle though!

I'm doing the Bar Method classes and they are really giving me definition- they do make DVDs if that's something that would interest you.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, real food. As in, a lot of protein and a calorie surplus of about 10%. And you need to lift heavy 3-5x per week. With what you are doing, you are not going to lose fat. Just more muscle. You will be skinny-fat, and will mess up your metabolism. You do what you want, but at your size I promise you will not see the results you want to see without gaining muscle. And you will not do that with cardio and a calorie deficit.

This, a million times this. Only run of you enjoy it, it will not really assist in you losing weight or body fat. You want to lift heavy, nothing will change how you look more dramatically (in a good way) than some really good deadlifts and squats. You WILL NOT get bulky.

Oh, and FFS, EAT MORE!
  • ggloriaa
    ggloriaa Posts: 26
    Options
    This is me:
    http://i49.tinypic.com/35mmwr7.jpg
    http://i46.tinypic.com/16lxnqr.jpg

and these are the kind of results I want to get (not me):
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2u5rs6e.png

I really appreciate your advice, guys. I love the community here, everyone is so supportive.
    I definitely will start eating more because it feels so much better than going through the day with an empty stomach. I think I'll start lifting as well.
  • passionflwr1
    passionflwr1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree you need to eat more, just make good choices. Also, if you don't have access to heavy lifting (like me), then you can try some videos. I recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred which I completed, and I'm currently doing her Ripped in 30 video also.

Like you, I'm not overweight, nor was I when I started in March, but I wanted to gain more muscle and define my stomach more, and these videos have given me results.

I'm sure heavy lifting will show results quicker (and more results overall), but just throwing this out there if that isn't an option right now. I think these can be a good starting point.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options

This needed to be repeated.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is me:

I really appreciate your advice, guys. I love the community here, everyone is so supportive.
    I definitely will start eating more because it feels so much better than going through the day with an empty stomach. I think I'll start lifting as well.

Wow, I would kill to have your current body! It definitely looks like you want to add in a good strength routine and forget about restricting calories for a while.
  • snikki43
    snikki43 Posts: 10
    Options
    ok folks, I am new to the calorie counting thing and I am so confused. Of course after signing up on MFP i was told that my calorie intake should be 1200. I am finding that this is maybe their "magic" number. OK well I started and lost 11 pounds right off. may be water etc. so I am not expecting that all the time. OK now I had a physical and told my doctor that I wanted to lose about 30lbs (218 now). He told me to do 1000 calories. I did that for a couple weeks and gained 2 pounds! What is really going on?! I have read and read about the TDEE? and according to that I should be eating 1600. I am sooooo confused! I am a exercise beginner so I HAVE to get my diet right. Any advice???
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    its highly unlikely at your weight and height that there is ant pudge podge or curves on you...please please speak to someone regarding your image issues.
  • ameliadlt
    ameliadlt Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Yes, you can! Depending on how old you are (if you're under 16 or so talk to your doc first please) I'd say try doing the new rules of lifting program. Not only will you get a rock hard body, but you'll be a freakin badass. You WILL have to eat enough to build muscle though!

I'm doing the Bar Method classes and they are really giving me definition- they do make DVDs if that's something that would interest you.

This is good advice. Strength training is your answer, but you have to eat more protein and fats. fats are so importznt for brain functioning too. If you continue eating as you have your body, mind, and emotional state will weaken.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    This is me:

After seeing you, and seeing where you want to go, here is what you need to do:

Edit to add, buy the book "new rules of lifting for women." Read it. Learn it. Live it. Love it.
  • czecher
    czecher Posts: 21
    Options
    ok folks, I am new to the calorie counting thing and I am so confused. Of course after signing up on MFP i was told that my calorie intake should be 1200. I am finding that this is maybe their "magic" number. OK well I started and lost 11 pounds right off. may be water etc. so I am not expecting that all the time. OK now I had a physical and told my doctor that I wanted to lose about 30lbs (218 now). He told me to do 1000 calories. I did that for a couple weeks and gained 2 pounds! What is really going on?! I have read and read about the TDEE? and according to that I should be eating 1600. I am sooooo confused! I am a exercise beginner so I HAVE to get my diet right. Any advice???

Snikki - With 1200 for your daily intake, what is your goal? It could be that your goal is perhaps too much weight in a short period of time? Too much weight loss too soon can do damage to your body, too. I took my recommended caloric intake and adjusted it to be more realistic. There was no way I could exist on the 1400 calories it doled me. I live on a farm, have 4 children still at home (all out for summer) and I occasionally have my 2yo grandson. I also am realistic about me and how I am around food. I'm a food addict and I KNOW I have to control my portions.

There is a happy middle somewhere in the shades of grey, Unfortunately, trial and error my be where you have to go to find what works, but I really wish you all the luck!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This is me:

After seeing you, and seeing where you want to go, here is what you need to do:

Edit to add, buy the book "new rules of lifting for women." Read it. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

This. Forget losing more weight, focus on reshaping your body, by doing weights/strength training, HIIT and some moderate cardio, if you wish. Focus on plenty of lean protein like chicken, steak, fish, cottage cheese, eggs, beans, add in some sweet potatoes, avocado, brown rice, lots of veggies, nuts, seeds, greek yoghurt, fruits, dark chocolate, and have the occasional treat meal, and you will be all set. Turn your focus to your health and fitness, and creating the best of your body that you can, in the healthiest way you can. That is my advice. And eat enough. Find out your TDEE on a site like this one

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and eat that amount daily.

Oh, and forget the damn scale. Use a tape measure and the mirror.