Bento Boxes for when you are on the GO!!

Options
DeniseB0711
DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
Packing Bento Boxes is on my fav ways to travel with food.
My boxes usually have just 225 calories per box

I try to pack all of this in my tiny box
Lean Protein
Healthy Fats (nuts, coconut oil, avocado ect)
Fruit
Vegetables
Some sort of dip (hummus or yogurt based dip)
Whole grains (crackers, low fat/low sugar granola)

I need some inspiration, if you have pictures or would like to share what you pack in your box please let me know.

My box today consists of

Grilled Chicken
Avocado Slices
Watermelon Chunks
Broccoli
Balsamic Dressing
Whole Wheat Toast Triangles

Dinner Bento
Whole Wheat Pasta with Basil Pesto
Shrimp
Green Beans
Yogurt
Cucumber Slices
Garlic Toast

Replies

• acksaysbillthecat1
    acksaysbillthecat1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am just learning about preparing foods and this helps a lot.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about bento boxes for awhile, but holy crap is Pinterest ever terrifying! Perfectly shaped cartoon charachters? Ain't nobody got time for that!

I'm hoping to find more reasonable bento box ideas.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I would need like four bento boxes stacked on top of each other to not starve...
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    There's actually a thread in the recipes board about bentos. I'd link it but I'm on my phone and lazy.
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I would need like four bento boxes stacked on top of each other to not starve...
    Depends on the box and how you pack it. People on the bento thread regularly pack 400-500 calorie boxes. You could up that as needed without too much trouble.

I recently packed lunch for myself, my husband and our 2 kids (7 and 2) to eat midway through a bike ride.
    Here's a pic just after the kids dug in. Under the snap pear and peppers there are ham and turkey tortilla roll sandwiches with garlic herd laughing cow cheese, cheddar cheese and lettuce. There's also a box of cherries that didn't make the picture.
    zqkktlig5izb.jpg
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have a collapsible bento with a freezable gel-tray, which I've started to take when I travel (it got through security with no problem) because the airplane food is so gross. No pics, but it was great. I had sugar snap peas, pepper, nuts, marinaded and grilled tempeh, banana bread, tabbouleh, quail egg, strawberries and a wilted kale salad (you can fit more in when you wilt the greens). I pack other stuff in my suitcase and replenish my bento as needed during the trip.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed a more greek style bento - I made homemade falafel (much lower fat), with lettuce, homemade hummus, and cucumber/tomato/dill/lemon juice, and lettuce leaves included to wrap everything up together.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Back with the link to the ongoing thread from the recipe section. There are lots of pictures and links to supplies if you want to check it out.

Using Bento Boxes for Lunches
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I thought Bento boxes were just for Japanese food! Thank you so much for posting this! I have been taking salads exclusively for lunch as an alternative to sandwiches because I don't always want all the bread. Bento boxes, here I come!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a collapsible bento with a freezable gel-tray, which I've started to take when I travel (it got through security with no problem) because the airplane food is so gross. No pics, but it was great. I had sugar snap peas, pepper, nuts, marinaded and grilled tempeh, banana bread, tabbouleh, quail egg, strawberries and a wilted kale salad (you can fit more in when you wilt the greens). I pack other stuff in my suitcase and replenish my bento as needed during the trip.

I have one of those too! I love it.