fat or carb?

Options
3AAnn3
3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
Have you all found that keeping carbs or fat higher when trying to lose weight is more effective to weight loss, while keeping a caloric deficit of course?

Replies

• KristianHilljac
    KristianHilljac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    it all depends But carbs work for me!
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really make difference for me to be honest - as long as I'm in deficit and having adequate amount of protein, the remaining macros really don't make a huge impact. Although for my lifting days, it helps tremendously when I increase my carbs. I hope this helps!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Not a tremendous amount in it for me. Protein and fat help keep me full, but I'm a faster runner with more stamina if I've had a decent amount of carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, so experiment and see.

I had them about equal (in terms of overall calories, not grams) when I first started and now that I'm more active I prefer my carbs higher, although not enormously so.
  • KimR_1986
    KimR_1986 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do higher fat and lower carb, but I also suffer from some insulin resistance (pre-diabetic) and PCOS. I really think it depends on your individual situation if you should do one higher then the other.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter...the only way this would make any difference at all is for dietary adherence. I eat moderate amounts of all three macro-nutrients. The majority of my carbs come from legumes, oats and other whole grains, fruit and veg.

Some people say they have difficulty with carbs because carbs make them hungrier, but I don't really find that to be the case unless I'm eating things like chips and whatnot. I find whole grains, legumes, oats, potatoes, etc to be very satiating.
  • greglormond
    greglormond Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    keep carbs moderate is the key!! if they are too high your inslulin levels with spike causing your body to store fat and if they are too low for long periods of time you will become insulin sensitve so whenever you start introducing carbs again your insulin levels will once again shoot up having the same effect. Depleting carbs for long periods also slows your metabolism. Moderate carbs has always worked best for me.
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I prefer low carbs/high fat but all the points that @greglormond has outlined are spot on.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said there is research saying the best ratio is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat because that's where the body is best able to utilize the insulin. However, it is more about the kinds of carbs and the kinds of fat. You want unprocessed, complex carbs like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; and good fats like olive oil, canola oil, nuts, avocadoes, olives, etc.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    fat keeps me happy found this out by accident
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    for me, higher protein and fat seem to satisfy hunger cravings more quickly.

My previous eating habits were to eat a lot of carbs with each meal, mainly starches. I would fill up on way too many calories, eating more than a reasonable serving, and would find myself hungry again fairly soon.

I have not gone "low carb", but i have rebalanced my meals to include more fat, make sure there is plenty of protein, and reasonable servings of carbs (mainly quinoa now, instead of white rice or pasta/noodles). Never would have believed that i could increase fat, reduce overall calories, and NOT have a restrictive diet, but it turns out i only had to learn to be mindful!

About 40 lbs lost, and i'm building and maintaining good habits for a healthy lifestyle once i hit my ideal weight.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said there is research saying the best ratio is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat because that's where the body is best able to utilize the insulin. However, it is more about the kinds of carbs and the kinds of fat. You want unprocessed, complex carbs like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; and good fats like olive oil, canola oil, nuts, avocadoes, olives, etc.

This is what I do. I am at 50% carbs, but I get virtually all of them from fresh fruits and veggies, with some whole grains thrown in. If I eat simple carbs I crave junk foods like mad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's all the same as far as the body is concerned. Carbs are absorbed fastest, and it takes hours to metabolize fats. So a little bit of both keeps you full. How much determines if you gain or lose.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I find it harder to stick to my desired calories if I'm eating larger quantities of carbs, and easier if I'm eating larger quantities of fat. I also find that carbs tend to displace protein, rather than fat, so I have a harder time hitting my protein target if I'm eating higher carb. YMMV, of course.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insights. I have been afraid of carbs the last few years due to seeing several friends and family members diagnosed with diabetes. I'm just starting to add them in more. I currently have fats at about 35%, carbs at 35% and protein at 30%.
  • Coachconni
    Coachconni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It could be a matter of timing of carbs. When I am sedentary which is most of the day, I consume lots of fibrous foods and protein, but not carbs other than fruit, but at the end of the day, hours before my workout, I have a meal with the 40% carb ratio or maybe even 50%. Eat carbs if the activity in your life supports their utilization. Same for fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    keep carbs moderate is the key!! if they are too high your inslulin levels with spike causing your body to store fat and if they are too low for long periods of time you will become insulin sensitve so whenever you start introducing carbs again your insulin levels will once again shoot up having the same effect. Depleting carbs for long periods also slows your metabolism. Moderate carbs has always worked best for me.

So are you really saying that if you eat tons of carbs, but also eat in a deficit that your body will store fat??

I'm just gonna assume I am misreading you.

To the OP, the deficit in calories is the important part. It's just personal preference on how you get to that deficit. I prefer to up my protein and reduce my carbs, but it's all a means to an end.

Well to be fair, they could still cause fat storage, even if in a deficit...just not for long as the deficit will end up taking care of it. We store and burn all day long. The key is to make sure the valleys outweigh the peaks.