negative-accentuated training

Options
MsHulkMN
MsHulkMN Posts: 81 Member
has anyone tried it? I love weight lifting, but I wanted to try something new :)

http://hiit-blog.dailyhiit.com/hiit-life/secret-dropping-30-pounds/

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There is truth that eccentric training can lead to some more rapid increase in strength but it does require more recovery. I don't think most would find this to be incredibly more effective in the long run, perhaps in the first few weeks it might help break a strength plateau.

Overall the author does not give an adequate training plan prescription. This article basically refers to the training variable called "tempo" but tempo is just one of the training variables in a structured strength program. Additionally and as the author did mention, there is some increased recovery time involved in a focus on eccentric training and he does nothing to really address training frequency (another training variable). Training like this is not going to make one drop weight unless their diet is in-line, which at least the author does mention. If you diet is well planned for supporting weight loss, you will lose weight regardless if you follow a more traditional training protocol or eccentric training.

If you are interested in doing this, see if you can find Dr. Darden's actual research on this topic and read through the entire thing, not just the abstract. Find out who the test subjects were and what training variables were used and perhaps what exercises were used. It's possible that the study was very good, but not in-context to you. Who knows, the research could have reviewed this method of training on untrained obese middle-aged men; you just don't know until you actually read the research being referenced and the author failed to provide it. Always be skeptical when the research does not accompany the article that is promoting "x" training method, supplement, or nutrition protocol.