Methods to increase willpower

Options
It's pretty well known that willpower is a finite thing during the day. I'm finding that I get through the day all right, but then I get home and things get so difficult. I'm wondering what methods people used to INCREASE willpower.

Background on me: I live alone. I'm a grad student, I spend 9+ hours during the week (and sometimes during the weekend) on my feet in a lab doing experiments. I've got a pretty tight budget, so cooking and eating at home is both beneficial for my own health and finances. I walk everywhere and do karate (2+ hour classes) 4 times a week, and yoga once a week.

I start the day off fine. I have a healthy breakfast. I exercise enough willpower at work to eat the lunch I brought and not buy expensive, unhealthy, yet delicious crap from the cafeteria/food trucks. I exercise enough willpower, usually, to not go for the 3pm latte with friends. I exercise willpower going to karate and work my butt off.

But then I get home. And I'm tired. And I'm sweaty, and my feet hurt. And the last thing I want to do is cook dinner for myself (chopping, cooking, and dish washing usually means that I eat an hour later). I find myself doing two things. Cooking, but being far too generous with the unhealthier ingredients or portion size. Or just eating out. This usually leads me to eat lunch out the next day because I don't have leftovers for lunch.

I also find that if I have a lapse in willpower earlier in the day (3pm latte or food truck lunch), I just kinda throw my diet out the window for the rest of the day.

What do you guys do to increase your willpower? How do you guys maintain during the evening? Any tips?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What is your field? I'm a microbiologist by training, but doing more regulatory compliance work now.

I don't maintain well in the evening, but not trying any form of extreme diet. I simply save calories at night for something I'm going to enjoy - say a rich indulgent ice cream or one of my wife's culinary creations (she a molecular biologist and amateur chef).

For me the motivation and willpower are beyond health and more to an established goal. Currently this is getting back into adventure racing, then I will be more competitive in adventure racing. My willpower is also reinforced by my family - e.g. I want to perform better on the next hike/bike/jog with my wife & kids, so need to put the chips down.
  • vespa1
    vespa1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make enough food once that week to last the whole week (make even more food & freeze ) ...cook meat like chicken breast & turkey or whatever protein you prefer. Wash/chop veggies & lettuce and store in containers so they're ready to eat. Always have fruit on hand. Sign up for a great recipe website for ideas. My favourite throw together meal in a pinch, a bunch of lettuce, throw in some chicken & top with a small amount of some type of cheese (something semi soft/ripe) always tomatoes, some walnuts, and homemade dressing. Takes a bit of work at first, but once you have the basic ingredients, its really easy! Good luck!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    vespa1 wrote: »
    Make enough food once that week to last the whole week (make even more food & freeze ) ...cook meat like chicken breast & turkey or whatever protein you prefer. Wash/chop veggies & lettuce and store in containers so they're ready to eat. Always have fruit on hand. Sign up for a great recipe website for ideas. My favourite throw together meal in a pinch, a bunch of lettuce, throw in some chicken & top with a small amount of some type of cheese (something semi soft/ripe) always tomatoes, some walnuts, and homemade dressing. Takes a bit of work at first, but once you have the basic ingredients, its really easy! Good luck!

This. Cook dinner on your days off and make enough for the next several days or a week. Keep some in the fridge for the next couple of days and freeze the rest, so when you get home tired all you have to do is nuke. Also, canned vegetables are better than nothing; have some on hand. Get the "no salt added" ones if you can or rinse before cooking. Also, research the quick food restaurants near you, i.e. Subway or Chipotle. Figure out what you can eat there that won't put you over for the day and that can be your go-to in a pinch.
  • cocoamoon
    cocoamoon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually just save pictures of clothes I would like to be able to wear and it is helping me get motivated.
    Also try to think about how you would look after losing a certain amount of weight.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You can't increase your willpower unless you actually use it. Practice makes perfect.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am a widow, swim before work, get home fairly late and still need to run the dog.
    I do best with healthy but simple foods in the evening; fruit, cheese and crackers or left-overs.
    I have one day a week that is a "prep-day" where I cook the basics and slice and dice my veggies for most of a week. I eat a solid breakfast and lunch and at least one healthy snack-that's what works best for me...just too tired in the evenings to cook (and who wants to deal with dishes-ugh)!