Tight calves-running woes

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
I posted before about going to the PT for a tight hamstring problem, I was thinking it might have been tendonitis. While taking a break from exercising, my calves also tightened up and have been very painful. Well I saw my PT last thursday and he said the problem is a) I am tight all over in desperate need of stretching and b) I need to strengthen my muscles in my glutes because my left leg is signifcantly weaker than my right. So he gave me stretching and strength exercises to do. He also told me I could resume all previous activity, but to expect that things might be sore.

Well, damn, things aren't sore, they are impossible! I tried running, and couldn't make it very far before my calves seized up. This in turn led to a sore hamstring and I was limping soon after. I have been doing the exercises prescribed, and yoga to help with the stretching. Today I walked at lunch and even THAT was leading to a tightening in my calves. I foam rolled last night-I felt relief for like, FIVE minutes before it started up again. I cannot get my calves to relax and release for any signficant period of time. Last night I couldn't sleep I was so uncomfortable.

I know things take time, but I am seeing not a lick of change or progress. Have others had this issue and how long did it take to return to normal? Anything you did to speed the process up? I was looking into sports massage, but I don't have a lot of money so I could only do this once right now. I have read about using tennis balls or the stick instead of a foam roller. A friend told me to go to his chiropractor, ie for active release, but to do that I'd need to go to my PCP, get a referral, and THEN I might be able to get in. I start a running group next Wed, and have another 5k on June 6th. Any suggestions on what I can do to help loosen up my muscles so I can get back to it would be appreciated.

(And yes, I know I need to develop patience as well).

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You could go to a Sports Med doctor and see what s/he says...*shrug*

I have notoriously tight calves. I do tons of stretching and take hot Epsom salt baths. I also get a massage every 4-ish weeks. I go on and off with the foam roller. I had a Sports Med doctor tell me to back off of it when I was over training. The over training led to massive calf cramping. A lot of people may suggest your running style, your shoes, etc. But whatever avenue you decide to try and fix your issue, you are going to need to give it some time to become effective.

Best of luck!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I go for more bananas and stretching when this an issue but this sounds like a problem for a doc. Also maybe a massage therapist hurts but actually does help.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Bananas, avodacos and baths. Super hot baths.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    When I start running again after a looooong absence I suffer from very tight calves which makes it painful to run. It goes away over a period of weeks if I am dogged above continuing. This used to bother me even when I wasn't heavy; I tended not to run much in the winter so spring time was always a bit of a slog to get through for me.

The only solution I've found is a) slow down, b) pause and stretch during the run/walk as often as I need to, c) stretch *everything* well after the run/walk, and d) keep at it - three or four times a week. Keep the time/distance reasonable, don't advance too rapidly.

Massage and/or foam rolling, heat, stretching - all good things to help loosen up. Don't force anything - you don't want to injure yourself and incur the downtime set-back.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I had some weird tightness in my calf for a few weeks just recently. Not quite as bad as you're describing, but here are some things that helped me: rest (not fun, I know), compression socks (I wore them around my house, not running, but to each their own), foam rolling, stretching, and tennis ball massage. I found a video on youtube demonstrating some good calf massage/rolling techniques. What helped me most was to take a tennis ball and, while standing, roll my foot over it. It sort of forces your calf to relax, because it's hard for your calf to be tense when your foot is bent over a tennis ball. That was probably the most helpful thing in terms of forcing the calf to un-tense. I did that for 20-30 seconds a couple times a day.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have chronically tight calves, especially after two knee surgeries. For about a decade every running session was a battle with calf cramps or shin splints. Now I hardly ever get either. Things I suggest include stretching and strengthening from the lower back down, or course (do reverse calf raises to strengthen the shins so the calves won't fatigue as quick); cross training with cycling (clipless pedals have especially helped, it seems); and find some great running shoes (not necessarily what has the highest reviews or even what is suggested to you by the running store). I also find that when I eat a lot of carbs I am more prone to the cramping, but I won't push or suggest low carb since I know that is not for everyone.

Make sure you are stretching everything: hip flexors, glutes, calves, hamstrings, quads, lower back, inner and outer thighs, IT band. A foam roller and hand held roller can help when things are really tight. Really work on your form as well. Shorten the stride, slow down, progress slowly. My HRM is great for that as it yells at me when I am trying to do too much (most of your training should be zone 3, not all out).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    For chronically tight calves, wear a night splint, specifically one that adjusts to angles less than 90 degrees, like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Plantar-Fasciitis-Splint-Medium/dp/B006L8N71Y

During the day, stretch your calves hourly for 30+ seconds, and don't walk or stand in shoes with a raised heel (90% of shoes on the market). Good "zero heel" shoes include Keds, Converse, most skateboard shoes, etc.
  • htimpaired
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback! I went to a spinning class tonight, felt a little cramped up, but got some tennis balls to role the soles of my feet and calves, used my foam roller, and I'm headed for an epsom salt bath. I am just so anxious to get back to running!
    Any recommendations on compression socks? I don't know the first thing about them. I wrapped the more sore of my two calves last night with an ace bandage last night to try to mimic a compression sock, noticed I didn't feel as bad as I had at night.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Any recommendations on compression socks? I don't know the first thing about them. I wrapped the more sore of my two calves last night with an ace bandage last night to try to mimic a compression sock, noticed I didn't feel as bad as I had at night.

I went to my local running store and got what they had in stock. You'll want to know your calf measurements or have them take it, since compression socks are sized by calf circumference typically. I got the Feetures graduated compression sock, and it's worked well for me!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It is also possible that you are not adequately hydrated. Lack of hydration can cause all sorts of cramping and feelings of tightness.
  • htimpaired
    Options
    I'm bumping this instead of starting a new thread.
    So it's been a month now that my calves have been like this. I have seen my MD, who has prescribed flexaril (muscle relaxer) and Mobic (anti-inflammatory). I am also taking Magnesium supplements. I have seen my PT again who has given me more stretches and strengthening exercises to do specifically for the calves.
    I have seen minimal progress. My calves still are tight with moments of what I can only assume are spasms deeper in the muscle. Sometimes wrapping with an ace bandage for compression seems to help. I cannot do anything high-impact. Even walking for longer distances seems to create more tightness in my legs. I stretch, foam roll, tennis ball massage, I'm drinking so much water I should be floating away.

I have a follow up appointment with my doctor this Friday. I am trying to figure out if I should wait for that appointment or call her sooner. At my last appt she told me if things didn't improve she'd have to refer me to an orthopedist. I have a 5k race this upcoming weekend that I won't be able to participate in, and ended up not signing up for the running group I was planning on joining, and I'm so disappointed. Anyone have experiences/feedback?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this instead of starting a new thread.
    So it's been a month now that my calves have been like this. I have seen my MD, who has prescribed flexaril (muscle relaxer) and Mobic (anti-inflammatory). I am also taking Magnesium supplements. I have seen my PT again who has given me more stretches and strengthening exercises to do specifically for the calves.
    I have seen minimal progress. My calves still are tight with moments of what I can only assume are spasms deeper in the muscle. Sometimes wrapping with an ace bandage for compression seems to help. I cannot do anything high-impact. Even walking for longer distances seems to create more tightness in my legs. I stretch, foam roll, tennis ball massage, I'm drinking so much water I should be floating away.

I have a follow up appointment with my doctor this Friday. I am trying to figure out if I should wait for that appointment or call her sooner. At my last appt she told me if things didn't improve she'd have to refer me to an orthopedist. I have a 5k race this upcoming weekend that I won't be able to participate in, and ended up not signing up for the running group I was planning on joining, and I'm so disappointed. Anyone have experiences/feedback?

With all the water you're drinking, how are you doing on electrolytes (sodium, potassium)? That could be a contributing factor.

I do tend to get really tight calves in the evenings on days that I run in the morning and then sit on my butt working the rest of the day. So in my case, the problem appears to be triggered by the hips. The best solution, honestly, is for me to get up and move around. It gets worse before it gets better, but by the end of a walk or run my legs are loose and limber again. However, it's never *painful*, just tight.

So...have you considered the Limber 11 hip mobility exercises, or any other hip thing on YouTube? What about a better desk chair or chair cushion if you sit a lot?
  • htimpaired
    Options
    I'll look into that limber 11, are you thinking hip mobility will help the calves?
    They did blood work on me-everything came back normal. Checked electrolytes, kidneys, muscle, etc.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Keep foam rolling. I love my compression socks—I have CEP brand. I find that I get the most relief from them when I sleep in them the night before and after a hard run.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    Did you try a night splint?
  • htimpaired
    Options
    No, if my doctor recommends one then I'll use one.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dehydration and/or mineral deficiency?
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    No, if my doctor recommends one then I'll use one.

A night splint stretches your calves - something your PT told you to do. The advantage of the splint is it gives 8 hours of stretching vs. a few minutes with manual stretches. Can't beat that. :+1:

Do you wear "zero heel" shoes during the day?