Mentally Exhausted

Options
I am going nuts. Does anyone else feel this way...

Where you hit goals, you have a great work out, you can see definite changes and that makes you really happy then you think about where you should be and get upset all over again?

its Exhausting!

Started at 5'9 205, at 179 now, feel good, feel like I look good. Then I think, well I should be in the 150's a tleast, and I shouldn't be too happy because I should have never gotten that big in the first place.I just want to be in a normal weight range, not overweight. How do I know when I look good in general not just compared to what I used to be? blah!

Replies

• Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yes i get in those mind circles too. BUT, just think how much better you feel now than you did! You will get there one step at a time! I think that for me, my biggest challenge is that i was in denial as to how big i really was at my highest (186, and it showed BADly on my more petite frame at 5.5) So now that i'm seeing myself more clearly and i'm concetrating on trouble zones and overall health its easier to be harder on myself. I do loooove this site though, its support and info and recipes and friends. It really works for me. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Perhaps going by how you feel and not basing your happiness or unhappiness on the numbers on the scale might prevent the highs and lows in mood.

It's really all about being healthy and feeling good about ourselves and not a number on the scale or jeans size.

Society can get so worked up on what the scale says that we can often sabotage all our hard work and get down on ourself.

Maybe it's time to put scale away for a few weeks and see how much better you feel. I don't usually weigh myself more often than once a month. I can tell when I try on clothes, etc. how my body is doing. Tape measures don't seem to have the same damaging effect that jumping on the scales do for ppl.

Might be worth a shot to try something different:flowerforyou:
  • fluteoboe4000
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. I started at almost 230 and now I'm down to 203. I understand what you're going through because I always feel like i have so much farther to go. I need to be at around 150, so I'm not even half way there yet, but I always tell myself, "look at how far you have come since you started. Yes you still have a ways to go, but just imagine how much further you would have to go if you hadn't started yet." and then it makes me feel better because I know I'm changing my life one pound at a time.
  • tlschlp
    tlschlp Posts: 54
    Options
    Just remember ... everything is relative. For instance, I'm not short (at 5 feet) when I compare to, say, a 1st grader. But, I'm short when I compare myself to my teenagers (they are 5'3" and growing). How do you want to feel?

Sure, it would be *nice* to reach all those goals we set for ourselves, and do it on a timely basis. But, nature just doesn't work that way!

I've been really focused on losing weight and getting in shape since January. I could stress about not having lost any weight in 3 weeks, or look at the 13 pounds and 11 inches I've lost since January. Personally, I'd prefer to look at what I've lost and continue to fight this battle of getting in shape. For motivation, however, I do have a picture of me at my heaviest (178 in 2002) taped to my bedroom mirror so I don't lose sight of where I was and where I don't want to be again. When I strike the same pose now and compare with that picture, I feel MUCH BETTER! :)

I'm in the 140's now and am trying to really watch my calories taken in and exercised out so that I can get to the 130's by the end of the month (okay, so I'll settle for July 4th). You just have to see this as a life-style change and not *wish* this diet would be over. You'll be the better for it, I guarantee it!

Good luck!
  • aphroditespalace
    Options
    Yes i get in those mind circles too. BUT, just think how much better you feel now than you did! You will get there one step at a time! I think that for me, my biggest challenge is that i was in denial as to how big i really was at my highest (186, and it showed BADly on my more petite frame at 5.5) So now that i'm seeing myself more clearly and i'm concetrating on trouble zones and overall health its easier to be harder on myself. I do loooove this site though, its support and info and recipes and friends. It really works for me. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me :)

thats true, thank you! Yes this site is amazzzing!
  • aphroditespalace
    Options
    wow thank You for all the responses, lots of food for thought. Nice to know that there is a way out of this mind frame. Very inspiring how well everyone is doing too