Cant Seem To Stay Motivated

Options
Hello, I am somewhat new to MFP. Long story short, I get super motivated to eat healthy, workout 4-5 times a week, and be conscious of my health 24/7, but that only lasts about 2 weeks. After that, I just lose interest. I am 21, could lose about 10-20 pounds, so I am not desperate, but over the past 3 years I have noticed I go crazy at first, then lose interest. I know it is crucial to start young, since it only gets harder as you age, so that is why I really want to stick with it.
I set a reminded on my phone to track all my food on here daily, and I am hoping that MFP food tracking will help me stay aware of everything. I guess what I am asking is, if anyone else has been in this situation, let me know if you have any tips/tricks that help you stay motivated. Thank you!

Replies

• marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I posted on my computer screen all of my goals, simplified how I can reach my goals, and put my rewards for reaching my goals on there as well. It really helps!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    One day it just sticks. I haven't decided if I've reached that point or not. Been going at it for over 6 months this go 'round. Only time will tell.
  • PatKGass
    PatKGass Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You posted your goals as the background on your computer?
    Neat idea.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Are your workouts fun? Do you enjoy cooking/preparing your own food? I'd suggest finding a fun way to go about it so it feels like less of a chore. That's a lot of the problem with motivation; if it feels like work, we tend to lose interest. Find fun activities that couple as exercise (sports, walking, hiking, playing fetch with a dog?). I stay motivated to eat well by finding new recipes and preparing my own food. I tend to enjoy the food if I've worked to make it. I also like to shop at farmer's markets and buy fresh, local produce. That encourages me to eat well, too.
  • kevcren
    kevcren Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey @RhysDaRyda94 im 21 too! i know what you're talking about and i would love to help you man! I give tips/tricks all the time add me on facebook.com/kevincrenshaw123 .
  • bhprince
    bhprince Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://diet.bt/JmkVG4

MFP has really helped me a lot. I love it. However, there is another great tool is Diet Bet. I like it because although you pay out, you get that money back plus incentive when you meet the goal set (4% or whatever the specific game you join has). I joined the bet in the link above to help keep me motivated. It helps to have some money put on the line and helps me so I won't give up!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You need to find a higher purpose than just losing weight. Is there something you aspire to achieve that requires some additional level of fitness? Whether it be completing a marathon, 10k, 5k, century on a bike, etc. you'll give your workouts more purpose if there's an end goal beyond simply losing fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If you're losing interest, then it may not be that important to you. Reality for most is that if they are interested and truly desire something, then lack of effort usually isn't the problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You might be being too stringent when you are dieting. I found when I do only a moderate deficit and still let myself eat things I like, just more mindfully, I'm more likely to stay with it. I'm not trying to lose quickly. I don't have much to lose and I have the rest of my life. I've been cooking more, changing up my exercise, and trying to make it a fun project rather than a chore. 44 days in (and 6 pounds down) and it's working for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the fact that you are not at your goals should be enough motivation.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am somewhat new to MFP. Long story short, I get super motivated to eat healthy, workout 4-5 times a week, and be conscious of my health 24/7, but that only lasts about 2 weeks. After that, I just lose interest. I am 21, could lose about 10-20 pounds, so I am not desperate, but over the past 3 years I have noticed I go crazy at first, then lose interest. I know it is crucial to start young, since it only gets harder as you age, so that is why I really want to stick with it.
    I set a reminded on my phone to track all my food on here daily, and I am hoping that MFP food tracking will help me stay aware of everything. I guess what I am asking is, if anyone else has been in this situation, let me know if you have any tips/tricks that help you stay motivated. Thank you!

That's probably the problem. There's no need to "go crazy" with this - especially if you're only looking at 20 lb or so. A small change here, another small change there - that's probably all you need.

• Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Self discipline
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It starts out as a thought in your mind. Then it comes out of your mind into creative planning. Then your mind and body work on an actionplan, and then wallaha...action is the result. If the result is not desirable, then change the plan.

Its called setting a goal and then achieving it. If it not important, then there is nothing to achieve...
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You might be being too stringent when you are dieting. I found when I do only a moderate deficit and still let myself eat things I like, just more mindfully, I'm more likely to stay with it.

+1

I like the quote, "Live the healthiest life you can enjoy". If you eat in a way that you don't feel constantly deprived and workout the number of times you enjoy (not force yourself to) it will be much easier to sustain your motivation.

For me, the "trick" this time has been to eat at a smaller deficit and only do exercise that I really enjoy so that I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to workout. If you know you tend to be too gung ho whenever you start back up, ask yourself can imagine yourself continuing to do this (activity) after you reach your goal weight. If the answer is no, and you're only doing it as a means to an end, then it's likely too drastic or unpleasant to sustain over the long-term.

Good luck.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough to keep going when it gets hard. Also don't get extreme. Especially since you don't have a lot to loose. Set up for a .5 pound a week loss and start building good logging habits. Weight loss a marathon not a sprint. If you start off the mark running at full speed, you won't make the distance.