I keep seeing CICO?

Options
Ok, so I keep seeing people put CICO (Calories in calories out) in posts, I'm new to this, does that mean you burn more calories than you consume for the day? My goal is 1,221 calories a day, so I would just need to burn more than that with exercise to start seeing more results? I make sure I'm "under my calorie goal" by the end if the day, but I'm not seeing results like I thought I would. I run so I can eat more, maybe that's my problem LOL! any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No. You already burn more than that by existing. The goal is to consume less than you burn by existing and going about your normal life. Calculate your tdee to get that number. Mfp has already figured that out for you and gives you a number, in your case it is 1,221. If you exercise you need to eat those calories back or at least half of them because you are already at a deficit from your tdee number. Hope that makes sense.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    yes cal in cal out. yes it means that you burn more calories off than you eat.

you could be overestimating food. are you weighing it? and counting every morsel?
    you could be overestimating how many calories you are really burning exercising. how are you determining how much you're burning during exercise?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No, no. You are forgetting that you burn a significant amount of calories just by living, I'd guess at least 1500 to 2000. Any exercise just adds to that number. If you are not seeing results at 1221 I'd suggest making sure you are really truly logging accurately, giving it more time, or seeing a doctor.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Let's say 2000 calories is your maintenance (the level by which you'd maintain your current weight ). To lose 1 lb a week, you'd eat 1500 calories every day. How much you need to eat to maintain, depends upon your age, height, weight, gender, genetics, and activity level. So, everyone's number will vary. I lose at 1650 without exercise. So, if I exercise I could consume more and lose BUT be careful of the number you are using to measure burns. Even HRM aren't 100% accurate. If its only been a week, you might be retaining water from increased activity and stress, maybe excess sodium, time of the month, etc. If several weeks have passed, I'd check your logging accuracy.

Because yes, it will ways be calories in vs out for weight loss. But there's a bunch of reasons why the scale fluctuates unrelated to fat gain or lack of progress. Just have to be patient and look for that downward trend. 1200 is already a pretty aggressive goal, so I wouldn't dip under that amount.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You are always burning calories. If MFP gave you 1221 calories a day that already puts you at a deficit to lose weight. That is a VERY low amount. Be sure you put in all your information incorrectly and you picked an appropriate amount to lose each week.
    If you aren't seeing the results you expect, you are most likely not logging accurately and actually eating more than you think. If you are eating under 1200 calories when you should be eating more, you aren't giving your body proper nutrients and can be losing muscle weight not fat and causing your body to hold onto fat. Our bodies are designed to hold onto fat, not muscle.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    The average person burns around(let's use 1,500 for this example) per day by just being alive. So if I burn 1,500 calories per day by just living, and I only ate 1,400 calories per day then I'd be burning more then I'm consuming. (These numbers are just for example)
    So basically, eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. To be sure your actually eating at a deficit, you need to weigh everything that you consume with a food scale. That way you can be as accurate as possible.
    You definitely don't have to run(or whatever the workout was that you mentioned) and burn 1,000 calories to lose weight.
    Just eat at a deficit and you'll be okay.
  • raychella13
    raychella13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »

you could be overestimating food. are you weighing it? and counting every morsel?
    you could be overestimating how many calories you are really burning exercising. how are you determining how much you're burning during exercise?

I'm not weighing my food, but I estimate high on foods that I guess on. I Try and measure as much as possible though. Maybe I'm off a bit!
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    Also, how long have you been at it? It can take a little time. If you aren't seeing ANY results you are likely not logging correctly. For the most accurate measurements you need to weigh your food. You can buy a digital food scale at Walmart for $15. Weigh everything except liquids. For liquids you can use a measuring cup.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I keep seeing people put CICO (Calories in calories out) in posts, I'm new to this, does that mean you burn more calories than you consume for the day? My goal is 1,221 calories a day, so I would just need to burn more than that with exercise to start seeing more results? I make sure I'm "under my calorie goal" by the end if the day, but I'm not seeing results like I thought I would. I run so I can eat more, maybe that's my problem LOL! any help would be appreciated, thanks!

You "burn" calories 24/7. The majority of your "burn" is you merely existing. When you put all of your information into this calculator and tell the calculator how much weight you want to lose, the calculator calculates your deficit to lose weight based on population statistics for someone of similar stats. It will use those population stats to arrive at an estimated maintenance intake and give you a cut from that depending on how much you said you wanted to lose.

For example, the average female maintains weight on 1800 - 2000 calories per day without much in the way of deliberate exercise and depending on other stats...so you put in that you want to lose 1 Lb per week...so MFP is going to give you a calorie goal of 1,300 - 1,500 calories depending because 500 calorie per day deficit = 3,500 calorie deficit over a week which is a rough estimate of the calorie deficit necessary to lose about 1 Lb per week.
  • raychella13
    Options
    Thank you everyone, that makes much more sense! I've logged for 40 days now and I'll lose 5-7lbs then gain some of them back randomly. My hormones are probably way out off whack due to having a baby 2 months ago so maybe that's why I'm not seeing results yet. I thought that sounded a little extreme though, burning as many calories as you consume. Yikes!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I'm not weighing my food, but I estimate high on foods that I guess on. I Try and measure as much as possible though. Maybe I'm off a bit!

I did an experiment once where I measured my food and then weighed it, and logged it both ways. I was off by almost 500 calories measuring with cups/spoons. It depends on a lot of factors, but it's possible that you're off by more than you realize. (Note: I'm not saying a food scale is required for weight loss. I lost most of my weight without one. I'm just trying to point out how big the margin of error can be)

• forgtmenot
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You're definitely off. Things like fruits, and veggies can vary greatly in size. I've even noticed that precut fish filets and chicken breasts can vary quite a bit. It is important to weigh all your solids to make sure the number is as close to accurate as possible.
  • raychella13
    Options

I did an experiment once where I measured my food and then weighed it, and logged it both ways. I was off by almost 500 calories measuring with cups/spoons. It depends on a lot of factors, but it's possible that you're off by more than you realize. (Note: I'm not saying a food scale is required for weight loss. I lost most of my weight without one. I'm just trying to point out how big the margin of error can be)

That's crazy it can bee off that much! Good experiment, and good to know, thank you!
  • forgtmenot
    Options

No, you don't HAVE to have a scale to lose. I did my first week on Mfp without one and lost 5 lbs, but I always felt like my numbers weren't accurate so I wouldn't eat back hardly any of my exercise calories just to be safe. I was under a few hundred calories every day just to make sure. With a scale at least it gives you more assurance that your numbers are as close to accurate as possible. Some people are also better at estimating than others.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    3500 calories per lb

500 calories below TDEE each day = -1 lb per week

if you set your stats correctly and have MFP calculate -1 lb per week you should be good to go

and def weigh all food
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »

No, you don't HAVE to have a scale to lose. I did my first week on Mfp without one and lost 5 lbs, but I always felt like my numbers weren't accurate so I wouldn't eat back hardly any of my exercise calories just to be safe. I was under a few hundred calories every day just to make sure. With a scale at least it gives you more assurance that your numbers are as close to accurate as possible. Some people are also better at estimating than others.

I weigh everything these days for accuracy, even when I'm maintaining. Plus it's fun to feel like a mad scientist first thing in the morning. But there are always those few posters who won't or can't weigh their food for various reasons, so I try to include the disclaimer that it's possible whenever I remember.