Trying to Hit Macros=pain in the bum!

Options
Sarasmaintaining
Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Up until now I haven't paid much attention to macros, but I'm starting a new body-weight strength training program this week, and I decided it was time to focus on macros, in order to start fine tuning some things. Today was the first day I've tried hitting certain macros ratios and good grief, I suck at it lol :o

Remaining at end of day:

Calories: 158 (ok)
Carbs: 19 (ok)
Fat: -29 (boo)
Protein: 57 (yikes)
Fiber: -6 (ok)
Iron: 37 (double yikes)

Surprised at how low my protein intake was. I also decided to track iron instead of sugar, and was surprised at how low that was too. Now I'm wondering about my other micros-think I need to start paying attention to those as well.

I am in awe of the IIFYM crowd- this macros thing is a lot more challenging than I thought it would be!

I'm assuming it does get easier the longer you do it?

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's difficult at first. And it absolutely does get easier. You'll find foods you enjoy that can help you meet those goals and still fit in foods you love. Protein had always been my most difficult to hit, as I love carbs. Being able to track macros and micros has helped me tone it down and make sure I'm hitting all my required nutrients. And Talenti. Unrelated to post but Talenti.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    What percentages are you aiming for, if you don't mind my asking?
    And yeah, I've found it gets easier as you go. :)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    Yes, it's difficult at first. And it absolutely does get easier. You'll find foods you enjoy that can help you meet those goals and still fit in foods you love. Protein had always been my most difficult to hit, as I love carbs. Being able to track macros and micros has helped me tone it down and make sure I'm hitting all my required nutrients. And Talenti. Unrelated to post but Talenti.

Ha, had to google Talenti :p
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options

I used Scooby's calculator for 1-3 hours of light exercise a week/gain muscle, lose fat. It gave me a macros ratio of 25% protein, 55% carbs, 20% fat.

It also bumped my calories up to 1,832, which is going to take some getting used to. The macros percentage breaks down to 229g carbs, 51g fat and 115g protein (rounded numbers a bit to make it work for MFP's settings).
    Dang, that is a lot of protein sigh..... :p

My maintenance range is 120-125lbs, I'm 36 yrs old and I'm 5 ft, 6in. Have a goal of adding muscle definition/possibly some small muscle gains? Don't know if the second part is possible without heavy lifting though (not ready for that at this point).
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Ha, had to google Talenti :p

Honestly, the greatest gelato I've had (and I'd never had gelato prior to MFP and adventures in fitness lol). There's not a single flavor I've tried and disliked. Hehe. Paying attention to what I was eating made me appreciate foods better. I've done more food experimentation controlling my intake than I did eating whatever
  • JessNelson_
    JessNelson_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also do IIFYM but one thing i would make sure to do is at the end of the day make sure your numbers are making sense. Remember 4calories per gram of protein and carbs and 9 for fat. what ever your "remaining" carb/fat/protein is SHOULD add up to be your calories remaining. If not, you probably have an entry that isn't verified. I found i was off quite a bit because of my fruits/veggies. Those are not always verified on here.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    I also do IIFYM but one thing i would make sure to do is at the end of the day make sure your numbers are making sense. Remember 4calories per gram of protein and carbs and 9 for fat. what ever your "remaining" carb/fat/protein is SHOULD add up to be your calories remaining. If not, you probably have an entry that isn't verified. I found i was off quite a bit because of my fruits/veggies. Those are not always verified on here.

Ah, good to know-thanks!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It does get easier! I find pre planning definitely helps.

113g protein isn't that much (imo). If you struggle with that, start planning each meal around a protein source. Think about how many meals you want and try to hit a certain number of grams per meal.

I always add vegies/fruit/carbs next and then fat.

Make lists of your favourite sources of each and mix and match.

If there's a "treat" you want, that may skew your macros a bit (ie a slab of cake that may use up most of your carbs and fat), add that it first and work around it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about iron, I'm sure most users don't even enter the iron values of food in the database. I track fiber instead, personally.

What helps is to preplan my day as much as I can, and make sure I have a good amount of protein at least for lunch and dinner (I'm happy with 10 for breakfast). Once the meals are in, I can plan my snacks around what I still need... Need fat? Nuts. Need protein? Greek yogurt. Need fiber? Some fruit or veggies or whole grain English muffin or wrap etc.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It does get easier! I find pre planning definitely helps.

113g protein isn't that much (imo). If you struggle with that, start planning each meal around a protein source. Think about how many meals you want and try to hit a certain number of grams per meal.

I always add vegies/fruit/carbs next and then fat.

Make lists of your favourite sources of each and mix and match.

Good idea-I'll try and make protein the centerpiece of my meals and then work out from there :) I do 16:8IF and usually eat one large meal at 11ish, a smaller meal at 5ish and then somedays a mid-afternoon snack. I think I'll make the snack a daily thing for the time being, and make it a protein source (Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs etc).

This is a brand new way of looking at food for me, so it's going to take some getting used to, but I start the new strength training program today and I'm excited to see how focusing on specific macros along with the program will turn out!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Don't worry about iron, I'm sure most users don't even enter the iron values of food in the database. I track fiber instead, personally.

What helps is to preplan my day as much as I can, and make sure I have a good amount of protein at least for lunch and dinner (I'm happy with 10 for breakfast). Once the meals are in, I can plan my snacks around what I still need... Need fat? Nuts. Need protein? Greek yogurt. Need fiber? Some fruit or veggies or whole grain English muffin or wrap etc.

I'm a pre-planner, but up to now I've only focused on calories. Definitely see how pre-planning will be a huge help with macros. Yesterday I didn't do that, but today I'm going to for sure :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets easier as you go. These days I'm usually within 5g of all of my macros daily (I don't track iron, sugar, sodium, etc...just macros), but if you check out my diary a few months ago, I was all over the place. I used to think it was fine to go over in fat and protein as long as I stayed under in carbs, and it served me well if we're just talking weight, but now that I'm more committed to IIFYM, I make sure I try to hit each one and not be too much over or under.

Eventually you start learning what foods are more "macro friendly" according to your individual goals. Pre-logging is hugely helpful as opposed to just going through the day trying to fit things in as you go along. I never end up at the end of the day with no macros left for dinner. I know what I'm going to eat before the day even starts, and I make adjustments if necessary. I'm so obsessed with pre-logging that I have 90% of my food logged from now until early June. That won't work for everyone, of course, but it suits my lifestyle just fine.

(If you do look at my diary, keep in mind my weekend macro goals are different than my weekday goals and I memorize them, so what MFP says my goals are isn't entirely accurate. I go on weekly averages for the most part.)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I used Scooby's calculator for 1-3 hours of light exercise a week/gain muscle, lose fat. It gave me a macros ratio of 25% protein, 55% carbs, 20% fat.

It also bumped my calories up to 1,832, which is going to take some getting used to. The macros percentage breaks down to 229g carbs, 51g fat and 115g protein (rounded numbers a bit to make it work for MFP's settings).

My maintenance range is 120-125lbs, I'm 36 yrs old and I'm 5 ft, 6in. Have a goal of adding muscle definition/possibly some small muscle gains? Don't know if the second part is possible without heavy lifting though (not ready for that at this point).
    Wow, that seems quite low on fat. I would change that up to 25-30% fat and lower carbs to 45-50%
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Regarding pre-planning....it's also helpful if you know there's something you want later at night as a snack. I break my meals into Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (of course) but then also have a Morning, Afternoon, and Late bucket for those in-between snacks/meals. If you know you're going to want something specific late (or dinner for that matter) plug it in as soon as you know and then fill in the gaps the rest of the day. That's how I work in a beer (or two) on weekends.

Also, over time you'll come up with some go-to foods that help fill in gaps in your macros. Protein shakes (I use ON Gold Whey) are an easy way to catch up on protein if you're short. Grilled chicken is another one of those easy protein fixes.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as you go! It took me a little while to learn about macro-friendly foods. When I first started, I remember buying things that ended up being so difficult to fit into my macros because I forgot to check fat content or something. @LyndseyLovesToLift has some bang on advice :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You cant really lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, unless you're doing recomp? are you eating at a deficit or a surplus or maintenance?
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as you go! It took me a little while to learn about macro-friendly foods. When I first started, I remember buying things that ended up being so difficult to fit into my macros because I forgot to check fat content or something. @LyndseyLovesToLift has some bang on advice :)

I made a big batch of taco meat for salads, etc. over the weekend. We don't eat beef all that much (prices are crazy compared to chicken) and I now remember why I never used 88% lean ground beef. There's too much fat per serving compared to the protein, so to get a good dose of protein, you're stuck with the large dose of fat. I'm used to eating chicken all the time, which has very little fat, so my "bad" purchase of the ground beef has thrown my normally easily planned daily macros into somewhat of a challenge.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »

I made a big batch of taco meat for salads, etc. over the weekend. We don't eat beef all that much (prices are crazy compared to chicken) and I now remember why I never used 88% lean ground beef. There's too much fat per serving compared to the protein, so to get a good dose of protein, you're stuck with the large dose of fat. I'm used to eating chicken all the time, which has very little fat, so my "bad" purchase of the ground beef has thrown my normally easily planned daily macros into somewhat of a challenge.

Yup haha... I tried doing ground turkey a few times but I can't even handle the dryness. You could try doing a ground turkey and beef combo?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »

Yup haha... I tried doing ground turkey a few times but I can't even handle the dryness. You could try doing a ground turkey and beef combo?

Use 93% ground turkey. I can't stand the 99% stuff either, but the 93% one is good (although more calories than 95% ground beef, but cheaper).
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You wrote in your opener, "Remaining at the end of the day".

I'm curious, what were your original targets for those categories? 20% fat is likely too low, and I wouldn't go by %'s to calculate macro targets. Your body doesn't care what % intake you have. It works based on sufficient quantity per mass.