Giving up soda , for good

Options

Replies

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Actually in foreign countries like Brazil, it's referred to as "Fat Coke". Why? Because people who drink it there are fat. I have a friend who lives there and she told me that's exactly how it is perceived.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was a self proclaimed "soda addict" for many years. I did not drink water at all, had so many cavities and a lot of stomach problems from it. Back in November I finally just stopped drinking it all together. I had headaches for a few days, but would have one cup of coffee every now and then (I've since switched to tea). When I have a craving for soda I will drink seltzer water, it helps satisfy the "bubbles" craving. Good luck!
  • S_Evanson613
    S_Evanson613 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Mt. Dew (drank way more than I am comfortable sharing LOL) I gave it up cold turkey. The headaches got pretty bad for about 3 days but with some excedrin and lots of water/green tea they went away!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I've decided after a trip to the dentist that it is time I give up my diet -coke addiction for good. I've tried to stop before but get headaches after a day or two cold turkey . Has anyone given up sodas ? Do u replace them with another drink? Thanks
    Why would diet soda have any effect on your teeth?

The acid tends to eat up the enamel.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/diet-soda-erodes-teeth-as-much-as-meth-crack-case-study/

Teeth are eroded when acid wears away tooth enamel, the glossy, protective layer of the tooth. Without this shield, teeth are more likely to develop cavities, become sensitive, develop cracks or become discolored.

The case study looked at the damage in three people's mouths. One subject was a 29-year-old admitted meth user, and the other person was a 51-year-old who abused cocaine for 18 years. The third patient drank an excessive amount of diet soda, about two liters a day for three to five years. All three had poor oral hygiene and did not visit the dentist on a regular basis.

Despite three different substance habits, the subjects appeared to have the same types and severity of damage from tooth erosion.

Now the article did say the individuals didn't visit the dentist on a regular basis, but soda still not good for dental health.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If you're really struggling with the headaches you can get caffeine pills. You could use them to wean yourself off of it like people use nicotine patches.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Actually in foreign countries like Brazil, it's referred to as "Fat Coke". Why? Because people who drink it there are fat. I have a friend who lives there and she told me that's exactly how it is perceived.
    Ha yes, we call it "full fat coke" in the UK, I never stopped to think that it was weird! Nasty stuff that makes my teeth feel like a carpet.

• mojojojo222
    mojojojo222 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Diet Coke is worse for you than regular Coke. I have always been a heavy soda drinker (Coke), when Diet Coke came out I started drinking it. Then I was at a picnic where there was an endless supply of sodas. I had about 6 Diet Cokes that afternoon, enough to literally make me sick, not from the sugar or caffeine, but from the vulgar taste of toxic aspartame. For some reason you can't taste it in small quantities. But when you have a lot of it, you get that taste and it never leaves you. It really is gross! That was 30 years ago. I can still taste that nasty ASPARTAME taste. It is the aspartame that is toxic. Sugar may not be the best thing for you, but it is not toxic like aspartame is.

To continue answering your question, I have gotten off of Coke... or more realistically, drastically cut down how much I drink. 2-3 Cokes was the norm for me. Sometimes 4 or 5 on any given day. I have cut down to 1 every week or two and I feel that is good enough. I really like the taste of Coke and feel an occasional one isn't going to hurt.

Your headaches are probably mostly due to the drop in caffeine, it can also be from the aspartame. Whether you drop the diet or not.... get some caffeine free (caffein free diet or regular caffeine free). Start drinking the caffeine free 2/3rds of the time. Then 3-4 weeks, start replacing the caffeine free with other, non sugary carbonated drinks. By non-sugary, I mean no added sugars and no sugar substitutes (sugar is always a better choice than artificial substitutes)... one of my favorites are Switch drinks. They contain no added dyes, sugar, or artificial ingredients. The closest thing to coke is the Black Berry, but the Grape and Orange are really good as well.

Some people may disagree with me about sugar. If you are diabetic, ok. But I am more about nutrition and health (toxic free diet) than I am about "losing weight" or having a sugar free diet.

Good luck.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I've decided after a trip to the dentist that it is time I give up my diet -coke addiction for good. I've tried to stop before but get headaches after a day or two cold turkey . Has anyone given up sodas ? Do u replace them with another drink? Thanks

Its funny I went to the dentist yesterday and the trip ultimately led to me giving up soda as well. 19 Cavities later at 27 its not worth it, id rather have my teeth than the carbonation. Ill just have to have a bottle of aspirin around to get me through the headaches

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm in the process of giving them up....it's been about a week now.
    I too am concerned about the effects of fizzy drinks on the teeth.
    I'm now drinking fresh Ginger & Lime Juice with hot water in the mornings or Orange juice with half water.
    I also make a watered down fruit puree drink with Mint leaves....really nice and refreshing (using various fruit purees).
    You could also try fruit tea (bags) as well, which can be drunk hot or cold.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of giving them up....it's been about a week now.
    I too am concerned about the effects of fizzy drinks on the teeth.
    I'm now drinking fresh Ginger & Lime Juice with hot water in the mornings or Orange juice with half water.
    I also make a watered down fruit puree drink with Mint leaves....really nice and refreshing (using various fruit purees).
    You could also try fruit tea (bags) as well, which can be drunk hot or cold.

Lime and Orange juice are also acidic and have sugar, therefore can also cause tooth enamel damage...
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Any acidic food or drink can cause damage to tooth enamal if good oral hygeine isn't in place. Lemons, oranges, limes and other acidic fruits can damage enamal just as bad. My mom used to love oranges and lemons (she would eat them by themselves). The acid destroyed her teeth and she now has veneers.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is worse for you than regular Coke. I have always been a heavy soda drinker (Coke), when Diet Coke came out I started drinking it. Then I was at a picnic where there was an endless supply of sodas. I had about 6 Diet Cokes that afternoon, enough to literally make me sick, not from the sugar or caffeine, but from the vulgar taste of toxic aspartame. For some reason you can't taste it in small quantities. But when you have a lot of it, you get that taste and it never leaves you. It really is gross! That was 30 years ago. I can still taste that nasty ASPARTAME taste. It is the aspartame that is toxic. Sugar may not be the best thing for you, but it is not toxic like aspartame is.

Aspartame is not toxic.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    This whole thread made my head hurt. For the record, I have been ingesting diet soda for over 30 years. I still have all of my teeth, only recently got my first cavity and I haven't been pickled or poisoned to death.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    very good. Yeah I've given up on soda - I drink 99% less of it then in my teens, when I drink at least 1.5 liters of cola per day. Now I have the rule not to buy any soda in the supermarket, unless I have guests (but then it's very rare to actually buy soda then, in fact I don't remember doing that, but it's allowed for the sake of hospitality). I can drink soda at parties, but I prefer beer so I hardly do that either. I drink water, tea and coffee at home. It's not hard at all when you are used to it. I love the taste of water! ;)

I have this ice cube maker that you can put in the fridge (I paid 1 euro for it or so) and it is nice in the summer. Makes water even better! :blush:

As you can see I allow myself to drink soda sometimes. That prevents frustration for me. But like I said I don't buy it from the store, which I think is the most important change I made. Btw I also don't buy juice, because it's mostly sugars, and yeah some vitamins, but I prefer to get those from vegetables and fruit.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've never really been a big cola drinker so cutting it out wasn't that difficult. Now if someone were to take my coffee there might be a beat-down o.O
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I quit soda over a period of a year.. First, I quit buying and bringing it home, then I only drank a glass or two at the restaurants on Friday evening. I've switched to water and those mix additives.
  • alcurran33
    alcurran33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Pepsi Max addict, but realised it was the ice cold, fizzy sensation I liked, not so much the actual flavour. I replaced it with sparkling water and it suits me well, as well as saving me $$. I still have a coffee in the morning when i get to work as I enjoy it, but on days off not having the caffeine isn't a problem.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Quitting Pepsi sucked so bad! I swore by applesauce fruit snacks and black coffee to help with the sugar and caffeine withdrawls, but man, I had the shakes for weeks. Nausea and dizziness... I kid you not, it was almost as bad as quitting smoking. Which also sucked.

I did see in OP that it's diet soda... I have no good advice for that as I've never been able to tolerate diet products.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is worse for you than regular Coke. I have always been a heavy soda drinker (Coke), when Diet Coke came out I started drinking it. Then I was at a picnic where there was an endless supply of sodas. I had about 6 Diet Cokes that afternoon, enough to literally make me sick, not from the sugar or caffeine, but from the vulgar taste of toxic aspartame. For some reason you can't taste it in small quantities. But when you have a lot of it, you get that taste and it never leaves you. It really is gross! That was 30 years ago. I can still taste that nasty ASPARTAME taste.It is the aspartame that is toxic. Sugar may not be the best thing for you, but it is not toxic like aspartame is.

Some people may disagree with me about sugar. If you are diabetic, ok. But I am more about nutrition and health (toxic free diet) than I am about "losing weight" or having a sugar free diet.

Good luck.

Aspartame isn't toxic. Stop with the fear mongering.

OP, I drink a Coke Zero a day...sometimes two. And sometimes I'll throw in some rum with Diet Coke if I'm feeling frisky.

I regularly brush my teeth and floss (granted I probably floss less than my dentist would like to see), but I've never had a cavity, the enamel on my teeth is good, and my dentist has never told me to give the stuff up.

How much are you drinking that you need to quit drinking diet sodas?
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You can still drink diet coke, just brush and floss regularly after words. If you really are going to give up diet coke though, a good alternative is carbonated mineral water. You still get the fizz without the sugar. I like the lemon flavored kind, it's pretty good.