Ab exercises

Options
s_y8s
s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
is there any need in doing ab exercises while my stomach still has fat? I just don't want to be doing all that work with nothing to show for it. Is it better to wait until you lose all your belly fat??

Replies

• pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I still have my belly fat, but I figure that the ab exercises are helping me have a stronger core... and then hopefully will make an appearance as the fat goes away. I'm curious to see what others think...
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Strengthening your core is important even if you can see your abs ;). Stronger core means better balance and helps with other exercises.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Once you lose the fat, will you want to start from scratch to get muscle definition, or will you want it already there and waiting to be revealed as the fat comes off?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    no, since you can't spot reduce, but a strong core is always useful.

if you overdevelop the muscles before cutting the fat, your stomach will actually end up looking a bit larger until you do.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You've likely already got fine abs. You just need to uncover 'em.

Most folks are quite surprised how good the abs look with no exercise once they're uncovered.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

if you overdevelop the muscles before cutting the fat, your stomach will actually end up looking a bit larger until you do.

NO to this....

Yes, exercise your abs and more importantly the rest of your body!!!! :) If you are newbie to exercising you can gain minimal muscle and MAINTAIN those and all muscles you currently have while trying to loose weight while in a deficit..

When you lose weight (fat) it depends on how much body fat you lose to actually see the muscles or not. But what you get is a way to maintain your muscles and you have gained strength to possibly improve your quality of life or moreover move into additional exercise or fitness goals...
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Assuming ab exercises = core training, it is necessary for maintaining proper muscular balance. A strong core will allow for efficient acceleration, deceleration, and stabilization during dynamic movements, as well as prevention of possible injuries. A strong core has been found to help individuals with lower back pain. To answer your question, do core training while your stomach still has fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just worked mine doing compound lifts. I didn't want to be spending a bunch of time on them in a deficit either. Not like I was going to be building any muscle there. But I am glad I lifted in general.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

NO to this....

Yes, exercise your abs and more importantly the rest of your body!!!! :) If you are newbie to exercising you can gain minimal muscle and MAINTAIN those and all muscles you currently have while trying to loose weight while in a deficit..

When you lose weight (fat) it depends on how much body fat you lose to actually see the muscles or not. But what you get is a way to maintain your muscles and you have gained strength to possibly improve your quality of life or moreover move into additional exercise or fitness goals...

lol smh focusing on "building" abs with specific exercises is worthless. so is "gaining" abs while trying to "loose" weight.

compound movements for strength development will take care of abs just fine.

if you are not lifting, pushups work the core surprisingly well.
  • s_y8s
    s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    compound lifts in a progressive resistance programme
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

NO to this....

lol smh focusing on "building" abs with specific exercises is worthless.

rather silly statement.

certain muscles (yes including abs), at certain periods of your lifting career will benefit from direct isolation work.

for every person you find who says they got great abs from only squatting and deadlifting you will find another whos development went to the next level by training them directly.

I know it's cool to say 'you only need to do compounds' for everything these days on the internet.

Also you might consider that 10 mins core/ab work might actually improve some peoples compound lifting....guys like chris duffin and ben rice are big on this.

personally I like the ab wheel and hanging leg raises.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »

NO to this....

lol smh focusing on "building" abs with specific exercises is worthless.

rather silly statement.

certain muscles (yes including abs), at certain periods of your lifting career will benefit from direct isolation work.

for every person you find who says they got great abs from only squatting and deadlifting you will find another whos development went to the next level by training them directly.

I know it's cool to say 'you only need to do compounds' for everything these days on the internet.

Also you might consider that 10 mins core/ab work might actually improve some peoples compound lifting....guys like chris duffin and ben rice are big on this.

personally I like the ab wheel and hanging leg raises.

the recommendation is for someone new to training, not someone who already has a solid base developed.