Can't lose weight because I can't control cravings?

Options
Hi, my name is Kelli. I am 21 years old. I had a baby back 2 years ago by c- section. I was never able to lose weight. I weighed around 200 before I had my son. Now i weigh 240. :( I have just started back at the gym a couple months ago but just started going regularly last week. I am finally to a point in my life that I would like to have a decent body for my own happiness. I have a very hard time controling my craving. I have n self control when it comes to food. :(I would like to get down to 135 eventually. I just need some support and would like some stories on how others have been losing weight. Also, I have a problem with knowing what to eat and when to eat it. I am hoping this site will help me :) So if anyone could tell me how they are doing it would be great :) thanks!

Replies

• d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    drink cofee, tea etc
  • jasminbelmacavcic
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I had my son 2 years ago and its really hard to lose weight and control my cravings. I treat myself with foods I crave once in a while. I also drink a lot of water which keeps me full and chewing gum also helps with curbing the cravings. Yogurt, cheese sticks, any kind of fruit is a healthy snack. Good luck!!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You will have cravings. Just learn to substitute for the lesser of 2 evils. I love chocolate. When I started I kept a bag of Hershey kisses in the freezer and would eat 3 when I was having a chocolate craving. It fit into my calorie counts and allowing them to melt in my mouth made them last through the craving. Portion control and substitution will be your friends! Good luck!
  • whitterbugkru
    Options
    I try to eat more meats, fruits and veggies, and if I want anything else I'll have it but 'budget' it into your calorie goal. Essentially, you could eat anything as long as it meets your calorie goal, but healthier items would be more beneficial in other ways than just weight loss.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have a craving and I'm not actually hungry, I stall. I drink water, tea, coffee, even diet soda if I'm having a sweet craving (scandalous I know but it works for me). Then I think about how hard I'm working to be healthy, and how fleeting the pleasure of eating anything really is. It's gotten easier to ignore the cravings, plus as time goes on I find that I having fewer cravings in general. If I have a really stubborn craving for something that I would rather not eat, I eat something similar that fits into my plan. Salty - air popped popcorn or nuts; sweet - fruit, So Delicious no sugar "ice cream," or (gasp) diet A&W; fatty/creamy - avocado.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    What are you craving? There's a substitute for almost anything, and you can even have your cravings in small amounts!
  • JulieAnn1109
    JulieAnn1109 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Agree with all those above me!!!

Do you drink soda? I know for me when i do it spikes my sugar cravings and gives me a headache! :sad: Granted I do still drink one every now and then, I can tell my cravings are not as strong on days i only drink water! you can Definately endulge once in a while if you are keeping a good exercise routine!! It really is about portion control!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more meats, fruits and veggies, and if I want anything else I'll have it but 'budget' it into your calorie goal. Essentially, you could eat anything as long as it meets your calorie goal, but healthier items would be more beneficial in other ways than just weight loss.

This.
  • TheMomm
    TheMomm Posts: 17
    Options
    Honestly, it comes down to how bad you want to lose the weight... If you truly want to lose it, you wont eat the junk.
    Everyone gets cravings for things they cannot have. Most people who start off overweight are in some way a "comfort-eater"... The only way to control these cravings is to REALLY want to lose weight; the craving's still there, but you want a trim body more than you want your m&ms. It's the same as quitting smoking; If you don't really want to do it, you'll give in a have another puff.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Keep those trigger foods out of the house if you must, and definitely find a healthy substitute for it. I don't have a sweet tooth, but I love salty foods like chips. I make kale chips. And on the rare occasion where I might want something sweet, I have Cookies N Creme protein powder that I mix in with Greek yogurt for a delicious, sweet snack.

Have healthy options within reach so you don't reach for the unhealthy things first.

Allow yourself one serving if you can't help it. But stop at that one serving.

Drink lots of water/tea to fill yourself up. Sometimes it's just a habit and you're not truly hungry.

But don't beat yourself up if you can't control your cravings completely. Old habits can be hard to break. Just hope for a better day the next day and make better choices. Good luck!
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. And taking control of you rmind. You can do it, start saying no to junk. Replace processed foods with lots of fruits and vegi's. Also, join a group for exercise, if it is at the gym, do classes. It really helps to do this in a group and have the support of others. Anddrink lots and lots of water.
  • KLJ13
    KLJ13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you crave because your body is lacking certain vitamins or minerals. Try to eat a well rounded diet. You may find the cravings go away. I am noticing I feel way better and crave less when I cut the carbs. That may not be the case for all people, but it has helped me. I still eat them, I just try to make sure they are healthier carbs. Keep a clear journal of all things you put in your mouth to try to track your cravings. Good luck, you can do this!!
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For me, it really helped to tell myself "I don't eat that".

Not "I can't eat that" - but that I don't.

It's all about the mindset. I chose not to eat certain foods - I could if I wanted, but i'm the one who decided - and that was very empowering.

That being said, I totally agree with the others that you really can have anything - just in small amounts that fit within your daily calorie/nutritional goals. I lost my weight while enjoying a glass of red wine most days - just counted in the calories :drinker:
  • 21alpine
    21alpine Posts: 41
    Options
    I was worried about cravings. I have been on many diets, seen nutritionists and everything else in between, but when I began the Paleo Lifestyle, I didn't have the cravings. When your body gets used to having grains and refined sugars and processed meals all the time, they are like a habit and your body will crave them. When I started, I cut out grain products completely for the first couple of weeks or so and made other things such as muffins and cookies with coconut flour or almond flour, honey or pure maple syrup, or other substitues that are better for you. There are literally thousands of recipes out there. As a result, I did not experience the cravings. I ate when I was hungry and was satisfied just by eating plenty of meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds.

After the first few weeks, I did occasionally allow some things containing grains, but I limited them as a treat. I've lost more than 50 lbs since I began Paleo back in January. My Dr. was very impressed, and has been very encouraging. He asked what I was doing and is behind me 100%. Even some of my friends are making the change!

You can find more info about paleo at paleodietlifestyle dot com if you're interested.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't keep crap food that you know you crave available. It's much easier to have self-control at the grocery than at home. Substitution is a great idea, too. If you LOVE ice cream, for instance, try low-fat frozen yogurt instead. If a substitution won't do, indulge in a reasonable way. If you absolutely MUST eat potato chips, for instance, measure out a single serving and stick to just that.

It helps a lot to pay attention to when you're craving something. If you're having a craving because you're stressed, or sad, or happy, or lonely, or angry, have a big glass of water and go for a walk instead, and see if you're still having your food craving afterwards. I had to overcome emotional eating. It's rough. However, if you're seriously craving red meat, or a baked potato, or some other non-junk food, my opinion is that there's something there your body needs, and you should get it. In a reasonable quantity, of course.

There is nothing wrong about having a little indulgence now and again. A couple of times a month I want a candy bar, so I fit it into my daily allowance and I have it, and I enjoy the hell out of it.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options

It's all about the mindset. I chose not to eat certain foods - I could if I wanted, but i'm the one who decided - and that was very empowering.

That being said, I totally agree with the others that you really can have anything - just in small amounts that fit within your daily calorie/nutritional goals. I lost my weight while enjoying a glass of red wine most days - just counted in the calories :drinker:

YES, this!
  • kellykw
    Options

I do the same thing! I really thought I was the only one. :drinker:
  • kellykw
    Options
    I am noticing I feel way better and crave less when I cut the carbs. That may not be the case for all people, but it has helped me. I still eat them, I just try to make sure they are healthier carbs.
    Sorry for double posting, but I had to say that I completely agree with this! I know it isn't true for everyone, but if you have out of control cravings I think it's worth exploring a lowish-carb diet and cutting back on things made with flour as well as things like potatoes, rice, etc. It might not work for you, but for me and many others, after your body adjusts to lower carbs, food cravings decrease drastically.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I will tell myself:
    "I don't really need that right now, but I really want it, so I will make room in my day for a small piece/serving/etc tomorrow"

Make a cup of tea then come here and pre-log tomorrow's foods/exercise to allow room for a small treat.

edit-
    also- are you really getting enough calories and protein?

1200 cals and 30 grams of protein is too low for most and you will be hungry for everything all the time.
    check your calorie and fat/protein goals.
  • manders376
    manders376 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it comes down to how bad you want to lose the weight... If you truly want to lose it, you wont eat the junk.
    Everyone gets cravings for things they cannot have. Most people who start off overweight are in some way a "comfort-eater"... The only way to control these cravings is to REALLY want to lose weight; the craving's still there, but you want a trim body more than you want your m&ms. It's the same as quitting smoking; If you don't really want to do it, you'll give in a have another puff.

Sorry but have to disagree a little bit here. Binge eating can be a form of compulsive behavior and is classified as an eating disorder if it is bad enough. In some people it is triggered by other mood disorders (anxiety, OCD, depression). If this is the case simply "wanting" to lose weight will never be enough. That is like saying someone with depression can get over it by "wanting" to be happy.

To the OP, and anyone else with binge eating they have tried to control over and over but can not, consider that there may be an emotional component to it. Try a support group like OA or even seeing a therapist. There is no shame is talking to someone about your feelings and finding out why you do the things you do.

I suffer from OCD and depression but never thought my binge eating was related to that. When I finally realized it might be and found a therapist who agreed I started on the road to change.

For some people it is a will power thing but not for everyone.