Popcorn?

Options
So, I am a huuuge sucker for microwave kettle corn. Today at the store I looked at the box, and one serving of it says it only has 30 calories in it. I am just a little bit shocked. I know it isn't a carrot and isn't healthy, but 30 calories really? Does anyone else snack on this?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn. It's healthy for me. The bag I get is usually about 240, there are quite a few servings in a bag often.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    How many servings per package? I don't know about you, but when I pop one of those, I eat the whole thing
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A 30 calorie serving of kettle corn isn't going to be much. I have popcorn all the time, with coconut oil and honey, but only when I have the calories to spend on a big snack.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    How many servings per package? I don't know about you, but when I pop one of those, I eat the whole thing

Word.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Most of my microwave popcorn says 1 cup is 30 calories, not 1 serving. Usually 4 cups is a serving on the stuff I eat. And I eat it 2-3 times a week because I love it!! I know there's not much nutritional value in it but yum. :)

I haven't had kettle corn in a while, that sounds good!
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is insidious. Who can eat only one serving? I have to buy it in single servings or I end up eating enough popcorn to feed the party. So yummy.
  • krismurphydc
    krismurphydc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You have to be extremely careful with calculating the calories for one bag. I find that popcorn nutrition labels can be really difficult to decipher for some reason. There are usually at least 2 servings in one bag. I've been sticking to the pop secret snack bags that are 100 calories per bag.
  • cgissel
    cgissel Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Scan the barcode. That helps me a lot.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OMG, butter, caramel, kettle, jalenpeno and cheese, naturally sweet, butter, movie theater, Cajun, cheese, do I need to keep going...

BTW usually 1/4 cup of unpopped is about what a 100 - 130 calorie (depending on brand) serving would be with out oil, butter,etc..
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't do microwave popcorn. I cook popcorn in my smallest pot on the stove though which works out well for just me (about100 calories) ... well, dh usually eats some too but I don't subtract that. I'd rather have popcorn than carrots or ice cream for a snack.

• SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Pop corn. I'd forgotten it exists!

Pop corn as a snack. Hm. Could be sweet, could be salty, could be neutral. It's volume for sure. Interesting...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    30 calories per cup is about right, but each normal sized bag has between 11 and 12 cups.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like the Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop Kettle Corn, its 100 calories a bag and sooo yummy. I just finished a bag a few minutes ago in fact ;)
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    Don't the cals absolutely depend on if it's buttered, cheesed, sugared, carameled, plain, etc?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    We buy popcorn by the jug at Costco. A jug is about 11 pounds, costs less than $10, and lasts us a year and a half.

This thread inspired me to pop some and use the jar of kettle corn seasoning I just bought
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love popcorn. I like the bags of "skinny pop" that are already popped. The white cheddar is amazing. Next time look for the 100 calorie bags of kettle corn. I find it is enough for me and since it is the whole bag for 100 calories you won't be as tempted to eat more. There's nothing unhealthy about popcorn.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Don't the cals absolutely depend on if it's buttered, cheesed, sugared, carameled, plain, etc?
    Yes, but the post said it is kettle corn, so it is made with salt and sugar.
  • mogobam
    mogobam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jonrenly wrote: »
    I like the Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop Kettle Corn, its 100 calories a bag and sooo yummy. I just finished a bag a few minutes ago in fact ;)

Ditto: These are awesome. I'm a sucker for popcorn and kettle corn, and these are a nice snack.
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    Yes, but the post said it is kettle corn, so it is made with salt and sugar.

Really? Huh. I had no idea there was a difference.

I thought pop corn was on the lower side, calorie wise. Still sounding like a good snack alternative though. For some good mindless munchin' lol. I'm gonna do some research on it.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i eat every night 2.5 serving of air popped orville redenbachers popcorn....a hugeeeee bowl lol
    yummieee (ahum 300 calories but so worth it)