Why 1000/1200 calorie diets are bad - backed by science

Options
Matt_Wild
Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
Taken from - http://www.mattmetzgar.com/2013/06/what-happens-when-you-eat-1000-calories-a-day.html

“For the first time we show that in free-living conditions, CR results in a metabolic adaptation and a behavioral adaptation with decreased physical activity levels.”

This is something that doesn't get mentioned much with low-calorie diets.

So here are three things that will happen when you eat a 1,000 calorie diet (represented by LCD (low-calorie diet) in this study):

Your metabolic rate will slow.
The paper discusses this in some detail. (There was no real slowing in the CR+EX group though. In this group, it was a relatively minor calorie restriction of 12.5%, combined with an activity increase of 12.5%.)

You will lose both fat mass and fat-free mass.

moveless1.jpg

You will move less.

moveless3.jpg

It doesn’t seem like calorie restriction goes along with the “Let’s Move” campaign by Michelle Obama!

So here’s a question: how is moving less on a daily basis healthy? It’s not. Yes physical activity fell in all groups except those who were required to move via their study group (CR + EX). And this decreased movement was a direct result of calorie restriction!

To me, this study shows that giving a 1,000 calorie a day diet to a sedentary person is a recipe for disaster. They will end up with a lowered metabolic rate (independent of lean mass), loss of lean mass, and they will actually move less.

Ref - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19198647

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    That explained 1000-calorie diets, but not 1200. I've been doing 1200 for more than a year now and am doing fine.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    If you think 200 calories make a significant difference then carry on doing what you are doing.

EDIT

Have you not made goal in over a year?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    wouldn't this be relative to the person?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Look at the study. It has all your answers found within.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    CR was TDEE - 25% and LCD was 890 calories/day.
  • kookanddra
    kookanddra Posts: 92
    Options
    Looks confusing to me. I guess I'll just stick with my 1270 calories a day that I have been doing for 6 months and have 5 more pounds to reach goal. But thanks for the science class.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Looks confusing to me. I guess I'll just stick with my 1270 calories a day that I have been doing for 6 months and have 5 more pounds to reach goal. But thanks for the science class.

It means that if you eat a very large calorie deficit, bad things happen.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1300-1400 cals per day and eating my exercise cals back as well... exercise is a combination of strength 3 days per week with cardio (usually swimming), and another 2 days a week just cardio... my goal right now is to decrease fat while maintaining as much lean body mass as I can in the process... once I get my bmi down to a healthy range, I'll up my cals and start working towards the more fit look... hoping this is a good process lol, its working so far it seems :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Just looking at quickly there seems to have been a similar effect with calorie restriction (TDEE - 25%) as with LCD, just not to the same degree. Maybe it's just "dose-related".

It does make sense that activity would naturally go down if you eat less, because there seems to be a drive to "maintain".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...for the oncoming sh$t storm and show!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1300-1400 cals per day and eating my exercise cals back as well... exercise is a combination of strength 3 days per week with cardio (usually swimming), and another 2 days a week just cardio... my goal right now is to decrease fat while maintaining as much lean body mass as I can in the process... once I get my bmi down to a healthy range, I'll up my cals and start working towards the more fit look... hoping this is a good process lol, its working so far it seems :)

I would ditch BMI ...according to BMI I am "obese" but have 13% body fat..how does that work..???
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    in...for the oncoming sh$t storm and show!

^^ this
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In for "Science doesn't apply to me."
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just looking at quickly there seems to have been a similar effect with calorie restriction (TDEE - 25%) as with LCD, just not to the same degree. Maybe it's just "dose-related".

It does make sense that activity would naturally go down if you eat less, because there seems to be a drive to "maintain".

That's true. However, there was a big difference between LCD/CR and CR+exercise.

The lesson here is that significant metabolic adaptation can occur if you lose weight without exercising. In other words, your BMR can drop significantly if you lose weight without exercise.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    well this is going to be entertaining.......
  • DatMurse
    Options

Look at the study. It has all your answers found within.

Ok. so 12.5% caloric restriction and 12.5% increase from exercise is the best route to go. it only talks about 25% but this doesnt talk about people who enter LCD+EX. Their protein was also at 15%

Only reason why I am challenging this is cause I personally ran my own 50% deficit but I knew what I was doing. I cannot do that now at how much leaner I am. Obviously I would never recommend it to any beginner. Unless they were a ex-weightlifter(at the time) like me who gained a bunch of weight)

Yea her "let's move" campaign would definitely require people to actually stay active. Saw that crap with her meat reccomendations
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can say what you want but I have been surviving on a 1200 calorie diet, as recommended by my dietician, since December. It is the first time I have been successful at losing weight. I have tried dieting with higher calories allotments and with as much exercise as I am doing now...but with no results. ABSOLUTELY NONE. As I said, this is the FIRST TIME that I have been successful at losing weight in a very long time.

I also know that, as I continue on this journey of mine, my exercise is increasing not decreasing. I am moving more than ever, and loving it.

I believe everyone is different and there is no exact science to weight loss. My diet is working, better than I ever hoped it would, and I am sticking with it. It is balanced, thus providing me with all of the nutrients I need, and I can do this. No charts and graphs are going to change my mind. Thanks for trying, though. :wink:
  • DatMurse
    Options
    You can say what you want but I have been surviving on a 1200 calorie diet, as recommended by my dietician, since December. It is the first time I have been successful at losing weight. I have tried dieting with higher calories allotments and with as much exercise as I am doing now...but with no results. ABSOLUTELY NONE. As I said, this is the FIRST TIME that I have been successful at losing weight in a very long time.

I also know that, as I continue on this journey of mine, my exercise is increasing not decreasing. I am moving more than ever, and loving it.

I believe everyone is different and there is no exact science to weight loss. My diet is working, better than I ever hoped it would, and I am sticking with it. It is balanced, thus providing me with all of the nutrients I need, and I can do this. No charts and graphs are going to change my mind. Thanks for trying, though. :wink:
    There is an exact science to weight loss. you do not defy the laws of energy
    well did you confirm not having hypothyroidism?
    Did you weigh all your food out?
    Did you have a diary?
  • Izablota
    Izablota Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the science of that study. I do however know that I was maintaining a 1600 calorie diet and after getting a metabolic test, I'm under eating by 600 cals a day. Without factoring in my excersice. I had this test done at Kaiser and it turns out my metabolism is faster than normal. For each person I'm sure that right number of calories depends on their resting burn. 1200 is a average, which means there are going to be outliers.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    they are NOT BAD,,,, and you get back it any way you want.