Antidepressant withdrawals - Food that helps

Options
Not sure if this is the right place to post. If not please move.
I was on antidepressants for a year. And decided with Dr to reduce and come off them. However, they did not tell me that I would feel sick, get dizzy/vertigo every time I turned my head, and get tingly crawling sensations up the back of my head.
Have found that peppermint tea helps with queasiness.
Also read that ginger helps with the vertigo - currently having a soda water with a chunk of ginger in it. Still to verify results.
Anyone got other remedies please?
I don't know how long this goes on for. Started 2 days ago. On day 5 of no meds.

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Have you told the doctor you are experiencing these side effects??
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    how did you withdraw? how long did you taper for?

Magnesium has a calming effect on the nervous system, that will help, but the above questions are fairly important here.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    depends on which medication you were on - the side effects won't last forever, for me it was about a week I think? I would just advise you to take it really easy, get plenty of rest. I know when I reduced mine I felt so bad I pretty much stayed in bed as much as possible which probably wasn't that productive!

ginger is meant to be helpful, and make sure you stay hydrated. I find that getting hungry makes these kinds of symptoms worse and makes my anxiety worse - perhaps something to do with blood sugar? So don't let yourself get too hungry.

when your symptoms have worn off exercise is such a good help with anxiety and depression x
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This isn't gonna be helpful...took about 6 weeks for me to even out! But i was just having horrific mood swings. Seriously, i was like the Hulk. And i tapered for ages!!!

Speak to your doctor.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The side effects sound like what I experienced, too. Especially the tingles. Put a call into your GP just to be sure what's happening is normal. I found exercise, not food, helped me. Just walking briskly outside did wonders. It also helps generate those feel good endorphins and beats depression's butt. Good luck!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I found sour teas helped with my nausea more than ginger teas. There was a berry/cherry blend and a lemon flavor I particularly liked.

I tapered forever and still had symptoms, you have my sympathies!

Try drinking a low-cal energy drink to keep your electrolyte balance up, it might help with the dizziness, though I doubt it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Did you taper or just stop them cold turkey? Most psych meds needs to be tapered off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    First, talk to your doctor. You may not have tapered correctly, need to tweak your tapering, something else might be wrong, whatever.

Second, a chunk of ginger in soda water won't be strong enough. I simmer chopped ginger in gently boiling water for 10 minutes. Here's something with proportions. They recommend simmering for 15-20 minutes: http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/3/a/Ginger_Tea.htm

You can also try Yogi Ginger Tea.
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the right place to post. If not please move.
    I was on antidepressants for a year. And decided with Dr to reduce and come off them. However, they did not tell me that I would feel sick, get dizzy/vertigo every time I turned my head, and get tingly crawling sensations up the back of my head.
    Have found that peppermint tea helps with queasiness.
    Also read that ginger helps with the vertigo - currently having a soda water with a chunk of ginger in it. Still to verify results.
    Anyone got other remedies please?
    I don't know how long this goes on for. Started 2 days ago. On day 5 of no meds.

i just recently did this so i'm fresh off the boat... he should have warned you about side effects, but if you're feeling too sick you might want to talk to him about a slower taper off them, you might be going too fast. i did exactly what you're NOT supposed to do and came off them almost completely cold turkey because i'm not that smart (she had the taper dose sent in the mail but i was so excited about going off them that i didn't wait for them to show up :| ).
    it sounded like what you're going through, it lasted about solid 2.5 weeks of hardcore vertigo/dizziness when turning my head, tingling in places, random leg twitches when i tried to lay down, and EXTREME bitchiness. i would NEVER EVER EVER do that again. I'm fortunate in that i work from home so i didn't have to go anywhere or see anyone, but if i did i totally would have done it the right way.

Good luck though <3 i hope it gets better, i believe these ARE normal symptoms, it's just a matter of how severe they are and if they're a little much you may want to adjust your taper.

I tried to just do walks and really the way i ate was as if i was sick with a tummy upset because, well, that's kind of how i felt. i just wanted a warm hug food wise. give your body a little break while you get through this. it doesn't last forever. just take care of yourself.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You have all been really helpful, and I am glad I am not alone in this.
    Tapered for a month. I haven't felt as sick as I did yesterday. Still able to walk and do my work, albeit slowly.
    Will try the boiled ginger. Thank you kshama.
    And yes, I think I was in a bit of a catch 22 yesterday. Feeling sick so not eating, and not eating made me feel more sick.
    Fortunately my moods have not been compromised. Still feeling the same, but obviously anxious from feeling horrible, understandably.
    Thanks again, and I hope that everyone is looking after themselves too!