How to work out when sore?

I'm making myself work out every day this week (except tomorrow) and I'm feeling quite stiff and also have a pulled muscle in my one calve. My abs and arms are still sore from a workout a couple days ago, and I already worked lower body yesterday so what would you suggest I should do? Work through the stiffness and just do a light full-body one? I do cardio either way to get the calories but I want definition in the long run so I always do weights or machines.

Thanks!

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    stop wasting your time and get on a real program.... working out (HIT) every day is bad for any novice and 5 day splits are silly for a novice
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    take a day or two off a week ...I usually have at least two built in rest days..

you are just going to injure yourself and end up on the sideline for three months ....
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    I was just thinking the same thing. I started Stronglifts on Monday and have no idea how I'm going to be able to squat today. Just sitting down is a chore right now.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    I do always take days off. This is just one week where I want to push myself a bit further than the usual. I'm not a "novice" and my program isn't the problem in this instance. If people want to do exercise runs with electroshock and fire, I think I can do a couple more crunches than usual. Just looking for suggestions.
  • ndj1979
    I was just thinking the same thing. I started Stronglifts on Monday and have no idea how I'm going to be able to squat today. Just sitting down is a chore right now.

how may days are you working out?
  • Even when I'm very sore I still lift heavy.. It will hurt alot but when I'm done I feel so much better and all my soreness is gone.. Also protein helps repair your muscles so you should take additional protein :-)
  • ndj1979
    I do always take days off. This is just one week where I want to push myself a bit further than the usual. I'm not a "novice" and my program isn't the problem in this instance. If people want to do exercise runs with electroshock and fire, I think I can do a couple more crunches than usual. Just looking for suggestions.

if you don't want replies, then don't post a thread...

and if you think working out with a calf injury is a good idea, then more power to you ...

I look forward to your "I injured myself an can't work out for four weeks, what I can do to not gain .." thread...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    just do it, get a hot tub and sauna,
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    when i am (too) sore from lifting, i go for an easy run, or wait until later in the day - by that time things are usually back to normal.
    but IMO, if you are very sore and have a pulled muscle even, rest. no point in pushing past your body, when it gives, it gives. and if you are trying to test your limit, maybe you found it?
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Man, you're getting bashed!

I just finished an Ironman, and went for weeks and weeks and weeks without a rest day on a 26 week training program.

Try to switch up areas so you have time for DOMS to subside before working that area again.

But basically I think you are saying, I want to do it, help me do it? For me, tylenol/motrin combo, lots of water, soak in epsom salts, get massages, foam roll the really tight muscles (that will also hurt like a beast), and then suck it up and follow your program.

That's what I did (made myself do!!) However, it sounds like you may have different goals. If your goal is muscle growth, then rest days are more important. Or skipping areas that hurt rather than taking a complete rest day. For me, distance and training time was necessary, muscle growth be darned.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member

and if you think working out with a calf injury is a good idea, then more power to you ...

I look forward to your "I injured myself an can't work out for four weeks, what I can do to not gain .." thread...

Not trying to start anything, I can see why you'd suggest it if I was someone who just went HAM every time - I'm just saying that it's not something I usually do. I don't do anything to irritate my calf and I've certainly never done anything to take me out of the game for four weeks. I'm careful even when I'm pushing myself, have been for years due to similar family injuries.

Thanks for all the replies though! Sauna. Good idea.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    The fact that you say you pulled a muscle means you need to take time off. Trying to work out through it is stupid and pointless. Muscles don't get stronger from working out, they get stronger from the rest that comes after. If you don't plan on giving them that rest then you're defeating the purpose of the workout.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member

:laugh:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    If you werent a novice you wouldnt be working out with injuries and you wouldnt be asking others what you should be doing. Suck it up, swallow your pride, and do what I said.... Well, that or you can just be one of those people who goes to the gym for 5 years and never gets anywhere. Good luck.

Get some rest and reevaluate the progress youve made and ask yourself if its really working or if your just going to a gym and sweating and leaving sore. If youve been at it for 2 years (assuming you werent too overweight to begin with) and you arent extremely fit, your dedication and program are garbage.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member

lol :laugh: :drinker:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Like a boss.

Unless I'm injured. Or overdue for a rest day. Or otherwise run down. Then I rest. Like a boss.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member

Like a boss.

Unless I'm injured. Or overdue for a rest day. Or otherwise run down. Then I rest. Like a boss.

^This. Sometimes the best advice comes with the fewest words.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Sack up and do it.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    At the moment total body toning circuits/stationary biking is getting me sore and achey so I do a long walk for 1hr (5 miles) and that always loosens me up.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Rest