Need advice...

Options
dianaorange
dianaorange Posts: 4 Member
My journey towards weight loss has taken some time. I've had success and failures. I enjoy working out, and felt great doing so until....9 months ago I had to have back surgery. The surgery was not a success, so I may have to have another next month. My weight has gone 10lbs up and down since then.
I need so advice on how to stay motivated. My body type is such, that I must workout to loss weight, but right now I can not do anything except very slow walking.
Help!!!
I still have 60lbs to lose and I don't feel it will ever happen!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    weight loss happens first and foremost in the kitchen - eat at deficit and you will keep the weight off, it really is as simple as that. As you can't workout for a while now, just adjust your calories accordingly. Trust the process, it works.
    ps is all exercise out of the equation?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I agree with @RunRutheeRun. Weight occurs in the kitchen.....

If you must, you can do a slow walk... this may not give you huge calorie burns, but I keeps you moving just a wee bit more..
  • dianaorange
    dianaorange Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All exercise! The dr feels I've been "too active" and that's why the surgery was a fail.
    Thank you for your advice. You are right about it staring in the kitchen. I lost the first 70lbs using that method. Exercise pushed me past the plateau. I guess I'm in a bit of a rutt!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    We can all get into a bit of a diet rut, just change things a bit, sometimes lowering carbs helps, upping protein etc hoping all goes well for your surgery.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if your doctor is saying rest, then rest... you can lose weight by eating in a deficit. concentrate on that till your back is sorted.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Agree with Ruth that its importnat to get your deficit under control by acurate logging becaise its easier that way. In your situation you have little choice becayse you have to deal with the reality that any exercise burn will be limited. Forget about your body type, its not that its you not being at deficit.

There are plenty on here who do no exercise and lose. If you have 60lbs to lose then thats still a decent target and you can get some decent rates of loss with that. You will need to think very carefully about exercise and why it can be counterproductive for you, talk to your Dr and physio. Was it the cause of your back problem? Maybe swimming, walking, gentle yoga or anything your physio suggests. Its not just about direct calorie burn, but you need to be looking at what resistance training is feasible to help preserve your muscle so you lose a greater % of fat and increase your strength/bone density.

Motivation isnt that hard imo, just remind yourself why you want to lose and then work out a new plan that takes into account your situation so it will be more effective than the old plan , which is no longer feasible. Start believeing you cna do it and have a realistic perspective on how long it will take 1lb a week is an ok rule of thumb to give you an idea we are talking more like a year. The importnat thing for your mindset is that you will get to target so keep reinforcing the idea you cna envisage losing your last 1lb and the reasons why you will lose the other 59 to get there. Mindset is crucial for breaking your rut.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    We can all get into a bit of a diet rut, just change things a bit, sometimes lowering carbs helps, upping protein etc hoping all goes well for your surgery.

why? it's a calorie deficit that makes you lose weight...

OP do you weigh your food? using a food scale and log accurately and consistently?

If not try that approach first.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

why? it's a calorie deficit that makes you lose weight...

OP do you weigh your food? using a food scale and log accurately and consistently?

If not try that approach first.

Personally I've never seen the need to alter my macros to lose but others swear by it, I also agree about logging accurately and consistently first and foremost.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Only thing necessary for weight loss is a deficit. Eat less and you'll lose weight. If your doctor doesn't want you to be as active, that's what your going to have to do. Walking slowly is just fine. It's about cico, so as long as you eat at a deficit you'll lose weight