Any Ideas on Stopping Night Eating?

Options
And by night, I truly mean, sleeping hours, not evening. I get up 2 or 3 times to use restroom, and I find myself in the fridge or cabinet eating. Usually handfuls of cereal, a bagel, or granola bars. Almost always its carbs, Sometimes its maybe 200 calories, sometimes as much as 5 or 600 calories.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why are you eating? are you hungry? if not then don't do it. If hungry look at your daily intake and see if you can add in more satisfying food.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    When I got my metabolism boosted up, I found myself waking up out of hunger in the middle of the night and kept a protein-filled snack by the bed just in case. I'd be asking more why you are getting up 2-3 times a night to go to the restroom. If you're peeing that much at night (assuming this is the reason) and aren't diabetic or have another diagnosed medical condition, you probably would do well to adjust your liquids so that you void well right before bed and not fill up prior to bed. It will keep you from getting up for one, and for two, you'll get better sleep.

However, if you are eating out of habit, it's simply a choice you have to make. If you're seriously hungry, and having an issue like mine, a simply PBJ on the bedside table does wonders, just plan it into your meals for the day.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Just go back to bed! My body tells me I want to eat sugary, carby things when actually I just need sleep. So, just go straight back to bed.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking too much fluid that's causing you to get up to use the bathroom so often at night? I'm thinking that if you didn't have to get up, you wouldn't find yourself wandering to the fridge. Just one strategy.

Or else leave some calories for your night time foraging and log it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Dennis4766 wrote: »
    And by night, I truly mean, sleeping hours, not evening. I get up 2 or 3 times to use restroom, and I find myself in the fridge or cabinet eating. Usually handfuls of cereal, a bagel, or granola bars. Almost always its carbs, Sometimes its maybe 200 calories, sometimes as much as 5 or 600 calories.

1 - see your doctor about why you are using the bathroom so frequently at night. This is not a normal thing, your body should be changing modes to slow urine production at night so you don't have to get up to go more than once.
    2 - why are you so awake that you are taking the time to eat? Don't you want to just get back to sleep? Make the conscious decision to go back to bed.
  • VCFernandez13
    VCFernandez13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Drink water at night, it helps curb hunger