Spaghetti Squash

Options

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me clue you in on spaghetti squash. I'm sure you've gotten plenty of other ideas from other posters and I'm too darn lazy to look, but I will tell you, don't think spaghetti squash can taste like spaghetti.

IT DOESN'T!

But mix it WITH your pasta, 1/2 pasta, 1/2 spaghetti squash and THAT will taste like spaghetti. Spaghetti squash takes on the flavor of anything it is put in. I add it to soups, especially my homemade potato soup to bulk it up. My kids will eat the half and half spaghetti and the soup and they like it.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    delish recipe for spaghetti squash here. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013_01_03_archive.html
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of spaghetti squash since I'm a huge pasta lover. I needed a how-to-video though and found this one which tells you how to pick the right spaghetti squash and how to cook it in the microwave...hooray I think i'll try this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPFErHz6zOM
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi !

to prepare zucchini noodles,
    1- slice the zucchinis in their lenght with a mandoline (so the thickness is uniform).
    2-Then make "tagliatelle" (like ribbons) by cutting them with a knife. Don't make them too thin (spaghetti-like), otherwise they will breack while cooking...
    3- Boil water with some salt
    4- when boiling, pour the zucchini noodles. Cook until they start to soften. At this step, it is important to remove them quickly otherwise they will transform into mashed zucchinis....
    5- Add topping ! ready to eat :wink:
  • WOODWAYONE
    WOODWAYONE Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: bump
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I cut my squash in half length-wise, scoop out seeds and microwave on high for 9 min. Easy and fast. Well.. sometimes cutting it may be a bit challenging ;)
  • AmandaGuele
    Options
    I don't have any recipes...I do, however, go to Ruby Tuesday's at least once-a-week to have their famous spaghetti squash dish with marinara sauce and zucchini :). Not only is it delicious and filling, but it's only 260 calories for the entire meal! If you ever want to try it, go there. Theirs is the best ^_^
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just cut it in half raw and gut it and then put them cut side down in a glass dish in about an inch of water, covered, and cook for about 45 to 1 hour, depending on the size, or until its squishy. I've tried it whole and I find the cut method works better. I have also heard that you can do it in the microwave but....I've never had anything really in a microwave that came out tasting great.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I boil water on the stove, cut the squash in half, take the seeds out and boil for 20 minutes. I then drain it and let it cool. After it cools I scrape out the "spaghetti" with a fork. It's really simple and doesn't heat up the entire house!

I use it with my regular spaghetti instead of noodles. I LOVE it!! Another friend bakes it and adds Parmesan cheese to it.

*ETA: I only boil half of the squash at a time. I don't have a pot big enough for both halves.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a good recipe for Microwaving it. It is just Too Hot to put it in the Oven right now.
    Has anyone had good luck with Microwaving it? Do you HAVE to cut it in half first?
    I have microwaved it before and it works no problem...I use a micro safe pan, put water in pan and half of the squash cut side down. turn on the micro for 5 - 10 minutes and keep checking to see if it is ready to shred...I love it when it is hot like this.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    How do you do zucchini noodles?

You can use a spiraler or shred them in your food processor. They look just like curly noodles and so much lighter in your stomach.
  • dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How do you do zucchini noodles?

You can use a spiraler or shred them in your food processor. They look just like curly noodles and so much lighter in your stomach.

or use a carrot peeler to make thin strips
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    about the size of a football ,yellow,It has instructions on it label to cook it....I am growing it in my garden because I love it.:smile:
  • RebeccaHite
    Options
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    6 clove minced garlic
    1 large tomato
    4 c baby spinach
    2 c spaghetti squash
    2 dash(es) salt and pepper
  • RebeccaHite
    Options
    spaghetti squash casserole

3 1/2 lb spaghetti squash
    4 tomatoes
    3 Tbsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp salt
    pinch pepper
    1/2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
    1/4 c parmesan cheese, grated
    1/4 c green onions, chopped

Cut squash in half and remove pulp and seeds.
    Place in pan with cut side down in 1 inch of water. Cook in 350 oven for 45 minutes. Remove and let cool.
    Cut an X on the bottom of each tomato and drop in boiling water for 30-45 seconds.
    Remove and place in ice bath.
    Peel, core and chop tomatoes.
    Use fork to scoop pulp from squash.
    Place spaghetti like strands in casserole dish and add tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    Saute garlic in olive oil then toss with tomatoes and squash.
    Top with mozzarella, parmesan and green onions. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
  • Kareemelnaggar
    Kareemelnaggar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a good recipe for Microwaving it. It is just Too Hot to put it in the Oven right now.
    Has anyone had good luck with Microwaving it? Do you HAVE to cut it in half first?

Microwaving it is really easy, you wont get the nice roasted flavour, but it still works. You need to stab a bunch of holes on either side and then toss that sucker in the microwave for 10-15 minutes based on your microwave. I recommend checking on it every 5 just in case. When the sides are soft or the squash starts caving in on itself its ready to go. Do not cut it in half first! It wont steam properly if you do.