Needs Help!

Options
First off I would like to say I love this site! I like being able to search for my string cheese, yogurt, potato, or whatever. What I don't understand is how you enter your homemade foods. Do you have to enter every ingredient individually? Do you just find something similar on the databas? That doesn't seem to be the best though because it could very so much. Someone please help.
Thanks

Replies

• autumn130
    autumn130 Posts: 48
    Options
    I am pretty sure you have to "build" the recipe. But the good news is that you can SAVE it and the next time you cook it or eat it you can just look under your "saved" foods. :smile: Hope that helps.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I use a recipe analysis website--http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php then add it like a food, it works pretty well that way. I try to put all my recipes added to this database in my blog-- debscooking.blogspot.com
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    bump
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I usually add things by ingredient and save them for future use. I have only been doing this a few weeks, after a while I may just use the quick add calories once I get used to what is in the foods I am eating.
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Options
    Is there someplace on MFP to "build" you meal? For example, I want to make chili, can I list all the ingredients and it tell me the nutritional info for the serving I choose.
  • Kelseykim
    Kelseykim Posts: 19
    Options
    As I cook the recipe, I write down the ingredients and the calories per item, then I add all the calories together and divide by the number of servings and then save it for future use. So I only have to do the work once. Hope this helps
  • andysmom
    andysmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Another good website for analyzing and saving recipes is nutritiondata.com. You put in the ingredients and it will tell you all the info - calories, fat, carbs, fiber, etc. You can save recipes there and just enter the nutritional data into mfp.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I use a recipe analysis website--http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php then add it like a food, it works pretty well that way.

This is what I do too!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i use the one on spark people :) to build recipes. I've been lucky though, in searching out recipes online, that most have all the nutrional info. I enter it as a new food if needed into the database. But, a lot of my meals including spinach turkey burgers, ww turkey chili etc were already here :) i love it it here lol
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    BUMP, for later
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thats what I'm not understanding is where you enter just the nutrional information for something.
  • andysmom
    andysmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Under the "FOOD" tab, go to "My Foods". There's a button you click to create a new food. Put in all the info and save it. You can choose to share it with the rest of us, or not, either way, it'll be saved for future use.